Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ravens give Brown second-round tender

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    So to think that someone wouldn't put together that sort of package for a young rising star like Jason Brown is naive. The extra cap hit to protect him with a first would have been negligible, considering the moves we had already made, especially if Suggs gets his long-term deal.
    Well, first off, I would have given him the 1st round tender, but I do understand their reasoning. I really would be surprised if another team offers him a huge deal with $15M+ in guaranteed money and is also willing to give up a 2nd round pick to do so. It's one thing to sign a guy as a FA - it's only money - but it's another to give up that high of a pick.

The other team could also end up finding out that all they did was do the bidding for the Ravens. Then it was just a waste of time for them (which Brown's agent acknowledged). As far as any "poison pill" provisions go, I'm going to take Brown and his agent at their word at this point. They seem happy with the tender and it seems that Brown wants to stay here. Of course he wants to get paid, but if he is sincere about wanting to be here, then I can't see them putting anything in an Offer Sheet that would dissuade the Ravens from wanting to match.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

We found Brown in the 4th round. Grubbs was the first G taken at #29, and was only taken that high because he was an amazing player at his position. Translate his talent to OT and he'd have been a top 5 pick or better.

The point is, we can replace Brown fairly easily with a second rounder, and we don't feel he's worth the top dollars that a couple teams have given OGs in the last couple years.
    We also found Chris Chester in the second round, and I don't think you'd find a single GM who would pick Chester over Brown right now. No matter how talented your scouts are, the draft is still a gamble, whereas Brown has now proven himself. I wouldn't say we could easily replace him with a second-rounder, and besides, do you really want to have one more need show up? That second round pick this year could be a QB or CB or DE. Why throw OG onto that list if you could put in a few extra dollars and protect your best young lineman for another year?

I agree with the logic of setting a value for a guy and sticking to it... I just believe the second-round tender is too low of a value for Jason Brown. In an ideal world, we could acquire two standout OTs and a competent center, pay them the big bucks, and throw young second-day draft picks with small contracts in the gaps between them... spending seven million a year on any guard is insane, and if that's what it would take to keep Brown then I'm fine with him heading elsewhere. In fact, that's the only justification I can see for this move... the Ravens don't expect to give him a market-value contract because of his position, and we're hoping someone will bite now and give up a draft pick to get him rather than lose him for nothing at the end of next year. But if Brown is willing to accept $4-5 million a year over 5-6 years, then we should get that deal done without risking him to other teams. A first round tender would have given us some more time to make that happen.

We also found Chris Chester in the second round, and I don't think you'd find a single GM who would pick Chester over Brown right now. No matter how talented your scouts are, the draft is still a gamble, whereas Brown has now proven himself. I wouldn't say we could easily replace him with a second-rounder, and besides, do you really want to have one more need show up? That second round pick this year could be a QB or CB or DE. Why throw OG onto that list if you could put in a few extra dollars and protect your best young lineman for another year?

I agree with the logic of setting a value for a guy and sticking to it... I just believe the second-round tender is too low of a value for Jason Brown. In an ideal world, we could acquire two standout OTs and a competent center, pay them the big bucks, and throw young second-day draft picks with small contracts in the gaps between them... spending seven million a year on any guard is insane, and if that's what it would take to keep Brown then I'm fine with him heading elsewhere. In fact, that's the only justification I can see for this move... the Ravens don't expect to give him a market-value contract because of his position, and we're hoping someone will bite now and give up a draft pick to get him rather than lose him for nothing at the end of next year. But if Brown is willing to accept $4-5 million a year over 5-6 years, then we should get that deal done without risking him to other teams. A first round tender would have given us some more time to make that happen.
    I actually don't know about that. Hutchinson (spelling?) from Seattle goes to Minnesota and man did he make a big difference and no, that's not all Adrian Peterson. Really.

Everyone was all over Walter Jones and how great a tackle he was and then Hutch gets tossed in the conversation to talk about the best left side in football.

Well, Hutch left and Minnesota's line drastically improved while Jones didn't look like himself.

And yes, I think it's the exception not the rule on players like his, but there are guys that good. Problem is that skill position players and stats are too dependent on these guys, and Defensive line guys are dependent on the other guys on the line to shift around the double teams...

But man, there really are some offensive lineman in a class by themselves, too bad the salary scale is not really recognizing that.
    Just win baby...

and besides, do you really want to have one more need show up? That second round pick this year could be a QB or CB or DE. Why throw OG onto that list if you could put in a few extra dollars and protect your best young lineman for another year?
    But it wouldn't necessarily be another need. We've got Yanda. OG wouldn't be high on our needs list at all if we wound up losing Brown.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have placed a first round tender on him. I would have.

What I'm saying is, I have no problem with the team not placing that tender on him. It's just not that big a deal for a G.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    But it wouldn't necessarily be another need. We've got Yanda. OG wouldn't be high on our needs list at all if we wound up losing Brown.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have placed a first round tender on him. I would have.

What I'm saying is, I have no problem with the team not placing that tender on him. It's just not that big a deal for a G.

- C -

Oh, you mean our starting RT, well thenwe have a BIG need at OT, a need that is more expensive and needs to be drafted earlier... We drafted Yanda in the 3rd and some peopel don't like him as our RT, so I guess if we lose Brown then we need to go Cherilious at 39...

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

. . . give him $25 million for five years, but a $30 million roster bonus the first year if he plays more than four games in the state of Maryland.
    You can't put crap like that in a contract or we could go to every RFA and franchise player of the Stealers and Clowns and offer them absurd stuff, like $400 million roster bonuses if they play 6 games in Black and Piss or Brown and Shit.

This is a fine move, Brown can negotiate for market deals and we will match any offer that is reasonable. Nobody is going to go nuts signing an up and coming guard.

The Vikings put garuntees in Hutchinsons contract like that.

And the Seahawks did so with Nate Burleson when they pulled him from the Vikings.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Do we have links for these?

If this was the case every rival could severely screw each other. We could offer Derek Anderson $3 million per year and a trillion dollar roster bonus if he plays 5 games a year in Cleveland. It's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I actually don't know about that. Hutchinson (spelling?) from Seattle goes to Minnesota and man did he make a big difference and no, that's not all Adrian Peterson. Really.

Everyone was all over Walter Jones and how great a tackle he was and then Hutch gets tossed in the conversation to talk about the best left side in football.

Well, Hutch left and Minnesota's line drastically improved while Jones didn't look like himself.

And yes, I think it's the exception not the rule on players like his, but there are guys that good. Problem is that skill position players and stats are too dependent on these guys, and Defensive line guys are dependent on the other guys on the line to shift around the double teams...

But man, there really are some offensive lineman in a class by themselves, too bad the salary scale is not really recognizing that.
    That's a half truth. Jones hasn't looked all world from an all round perspective as an LT since Hutchinson's departure and losing a powerful run blocker will do that to you in the running game (look at Ogden when Mulitalo was struggling at the beginning of last season and until Jason Brown found his feet mid/late season), but his decline is also due to the fact he is older and simply doesn't have the leg drive anymore to be a dominant run blocker. However, Jones is still as good as any if not better than any other tackle in pass protection.

Do we have links for these?

If this was the case every rival could severely screw each other. We could offer Derek Anderson $3 million per year and a trillion dollar roster bonus if he plays 5 games a year in Cleveland. It's absurd.
    Here's a Wikipedia entry for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_pill#Sports

The use of the poison pill was actually challenged and upheld by an NFL arbiter: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375444. Sorry, I don't have a link for a follow-up article, but the arbiter ruled that the poison pill was acceptable and that if Seattle wanted to match the contract they had to keep the poison pill clause as well... it was deemed an "essential term".

What keeps us from offering a "screw you" contract to Derek Anderson and luring him from the Browns? Well, first of all, we'd owe them a first and a third, because he got the highest tender. Second, he still has to accept the contract, so we have to make it worth his while too. After what happened with Hutchinson, teams rarely use the transition tag any more, because of all the options they have, it's the one that gives no compensation... just the chance to "match" the offer, which thanks to the poison pill option, might not be realistic. But franchise and RFA players will still cost you a good contract AND compensatory draft picks.

Yeah Greg, the days of matching are about done unless the RFA really wants to stay with the team...

- C -

Looks like Ozzie and the staff slid JB through with the second round tender.

It's great news but still think the 1st round tender would have been a safer bet. Glad to be wrong on this though.:happyanim