Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

R. Lewis Game Time Decision

This in from Aaron...

Baltimore Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis returned to practice Friday from a severely bruised back that has kept him out of the past two games and is likely to be a game-time decision for Sunday's kickoff against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Lewis is still listed as questionable on the injury report and was limited in team drills. His status is likely to hinge upon how he feels during pregame warmups.

"We're progressing," Ravens coach Brian Billick said. "We'll see on Sunday."

When asked if Lewis returning to practice Friday was an encouraging development, Billick replied: "Sure it is."

A week ago, Lerwis underwent a minor surgical procedure to drain a pocket of blood from his back. Lewis has been out since safety Ed Reed's knee collided with his back Nov. 5 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Earlier this week, Lewis told reporters that his back is still troubling him and that he wasn’t certain if he would play against the Steelers.

“It’s not settling down like I wish it would,” Lewis said. “It’s still bothering me.”

On Friday, Lewis was noncommittal on whether he would play, saying, "I don't know."

The Ravens reported no changes to their injury report Friday. Tight end Todd Heap is questionable with a foot injury, but is expected to start. Defensive tackle Dwan Edwards is questionable with back spasms, but is typically inactive on game day.

Offensive guard Keydrick Vincent (groin, questionable) was at practice, but wasn't dressed out as he went through agility drills on his own at the start of practice. He's likely to be a game-time decision.

If Vincent can't play, he would be replaced at right guard by rookie Chris Chester for the second week in a row.

Tight end Daniel Wilcox (hamstring) is questionable and might be replaced by rookie Quinn Sypniewski. Wilcox, along with Vincent, expressed optimism about playing Sunday. Reed (knee) and linebacker Adalius Thomas (ankle) are probable and are expected to start.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: R. Lewis Game Time Decision

as long as he's there on the sideline for us, we'll be good.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

This late in the week and still a question, he isn't suiting up. But on a brighter note, it is possible that hiney ward won't suit up either. I hope it stays that way. He seems to have our number every time we play them. He is a very good blocker too.

I heard Friday night on NFL network...
    Ray Lewis will suit up for the game and go through pregame warm-ups. Then they will make a final decision on his availability.

If this is true, there is no way Ray doesn't play. Dressed? Pregame? Joey trash-talkin? At the Vault? and he's gonna go sit down. I dont think so.

Beat the Steelers!!!

I would like Ray to rest until Bengals game on Thursday. He'll be real fresh and ready to go.

Here's the problem if he plays...they have only 4 days until the next game. If he is not feeling >90% going into Sunday's game and plays, then most likely he will be not be ready for Thursday. If there is any doubt, I say sit him for the Bengals game.

This late in the week and still a question, he isn't suiting up. But on a brighter note, it is possible that hiney ward won't suit up either.
    I would not assume that Ray isn't playing as long as he practiced Friday. This is a big game.

Also, unless Whines is on crutches, I expect him to play. Bet on it.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

A Wilson is predicting that Ray won't play. Only 1 practice in 3 weeks is going to make Billick way too worried that Ray's going to further injure himself like last year in Chicago when he played with a tight hamstring.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

But a deep bruise isn't an injury that can be made worse by playing, like a hamstring.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    But a deep bruise isn't an injury that can be made worse by playing, like a hamstring.
    Yeah, what camdenyard said...

Anyone else think this might be a Bellichek-like smoke screen? "Ray's still really hurt. Dunno if he'll play or not." No matter which way it goes, the Steelers don't know if they need to prepare for him or not. Either way it works to our advantage. If he's on the field, we're a better D. If he's not, they've had to prepare for him.

We'll never find out, but it wouldn't be surprising if they already know whether he'll play or not.

FWIW, Ward's said he's gonna give it a go, so I'm guessing we'll see him, the only question is if it'll be for a few plays or the whole game.

- C -