Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Hire OL & RB Coaches

The Baltimore Ravens have added John Matsko as offensive line coach and Wilbert Montgomery as the team’s new running backs coach. Head coach John Harbaugh made the announcement today.

Bios on each and more here

Re: Ravens Hire OL & RB Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    The Baltimore Ravens have added John Matsko as offensive line coach and Wilbert Montgomery as the team’s new running backs coach. Head coach John Harbaugh made the announcement today.

Bios on each and more here
    Thank god we got a new OL coach, there is a ton of upside for next season now! :happyanim
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

John Matsko looks good, but Wilbert Montgomery has me slightly worried since, and I quote:

Working with current 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz for much of his career
    That's slightly worrying as RBs haven't been a strength of a Mike Martz offenses, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    John Matsko looks good, but Wilbert Montgomery has me slightly worried since, and I quote:

That's slightly worrying as RBs haven't been a strength of a Mike Martz offenses, have they?
    Faulk was a strength of the Martz St. Loius Offense. Period. Stephen Jackson also did great things until the offensive line fell apart, and the coach was in a different city anyhow.

I think the guy did pretty well with the Chiefs vet line and this year, really hard to do anything because no one was remotely scared of their QB being able to do anything. Wait, that sounds familiar....

We are not going to see old school Ravens pound the rock down your throat football, and, in my opinion, that is a good thing.
    Just win baby...

Will be interested to see what sort of units these guys can put together and how Matsko is able to gel this young talent together on the line.

Happy Birthday for Saturday too Coach Matsko.

Both of these hires look legit. Montgomery not only has overseen some good running in St. Louis, but backs that like to catch the ball as well, which should fit perfectly in Cam's offense. Matsko certainly has the chops as well. They're doing a great job getting the staff in, now they just need the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Both of these hires look legit. Montgomery not only has overseen some good running in St. Louis, but backs that like to catch the ball as well, which should fit perfectly in Cam's offense. Matsko certainly has the chops as well. They're doing a great job getting the staff in, now they just need the players.
    I am with you 100%, these both look like quality guys.
    Just win baby...

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post

I don't know...I mean Marshall Faulk and Stephen Jackson were pretty good...

These look like good hires to me, although I'm curious as to why Matsko left the Chiefs. Maybe that was in his bio and I just missed it, but they've had a great OL for years, so it seems odd that he'd leave.

I remember Wilbert Montgomery as a RB for the Eagles, but I had no idea he was even coaching. I currently have no opinion about him at all as a coach, but I'm glad we picked up a new coach for the OL.

Backs who can catch but also having our backs more adept at picking up blitzes and reading the pass protection better up front would be the biggest improvement we could see from our new RBs coach. I don't see great problems with the reads they're making and how they hit the holes, but it's the little things that round off a back that it'd be nice to see our backs develop.

September can't come too soon, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    These look like good hires to me, although I'm curious as to why Matsko left the Chiefs. Maybe that was in his bio and I just missed it, but they've had a great OL for years, so it seems odd that he'd leave.
    He didn't build that line, the guy that built that line was Mike Solari who was upgraded to offensive coordinator and absolutely stunk up the joint. I believe he's now gone to Seattle and the talent left on the line for the Chiefs is pretty rank, I think he saw the opportunity to come to Baltimore to try and gel together some talented youth, at least that's the way I'm gonna choose to see it.