Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT: What's your spirit?

Damn Houston,
    You can put away that much GM? When I was a DJ back in the day, the bartender where I played and I would drink maybe 4-5 three-finger shots of it and the next day my head would pound!!!

I do love GM but treat it with respect. I can't make it to B-more this weekend but have a great time!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Bulleit is much more harsh then the other high end bourbons/Tennessee whiskeys I've had. I like some variety though.

I stay away from Maker's Mark only because I like to support the smaller distilleries, I'm sure it's very fine but I haven't had any in about ten years.
    I was being kind when I said Bulleit was a tad harsh. It is quite harsh, but like yourself, I do enjoy a bit of variety. By the way, Rebel Yell is pretty good too, but for some reason, its rare and pricey down here in the Deep South.

Not sure why you avoid Maker's Mark. They aren't a mass-quantity distillery as their product is a handmade bourbon. I'm an ambassador of their bourbon and have my name on a barrel that is about to mature. They will sell me a couple bottles of "my" bourbon but I have to travel to Loretto KY to get it. Not sure I want to make that trek.

You should revisit Maker's Mark. Cheers!

I either drink cheap beer (Natty Boh) or expensive scotch.
    I'm kidding of course about the scotch always being expensive, though I no longer buy blends. I really like The Dalmore 12 or Glenlivet 12 for my more regular drinks. The Balvenie 17 year is the best bottle in my collection at the moment, and head and shoulders above the rest.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Over the years I've bought my wife a good selection of whiskey - mainly Scottish :haggis but some Irish:ire: . I can't drink the stuff but can take the odd Jim Beam:usa: at the end of an evening.

One problem you get with a thread like this is that some people do not distinguish between spirits and liquers.
    (When not drinking red wine or beer)

Spirits:
    Gin (with tonic:eng: ) Bombay Sapphire usually
    Rum (with coke) usually white.
    Jim Beam

Liquers:
    Amaretto
    Manderin Napoleon (aka Imperiale)
    Scnapps
    Psian Ambon
    - all of there work well with Champagne as well

In honor of our British friends, I regularly enjoy a pint (or two) of Bass Ale!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

UKRaven likes bourbon. Unfortunately FellsPointRaven normally forgets to buy it for him from duty free. :grbac:

My two spirits o' choice are Bombay Sapphire and Jack (with coke). I also partake in Grey Goose on the rocks and enjoy a good cognac after a nice dinner.

I'm with you guys who are high on Woodford Reserve - I bought some for my dad on my last trip to the UK and we both enjoyed it immensely!

If Houston and PP are going to be at Mike's tomorrow night I may try to swing by. I don't have a bottle of GM there, but I know a few people who do. We should make it an impromptu board social.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Damn Houston,
    You can put away that much GM? When I was a DJ back in the day, the bartender where I played and I would drink maybe 4-5 three-finger shots of it and the next day my head would pound!!!

I do love GM but treat it with respect. I can't make it to B-more this weekend but have a great time!
    NOOOO!

The bottles of GM are for everyone .... you have to understand the bar. It's the first and only Grand Marnier club. You buy your bottle from the bar and they keep it for you. There are about 800 members to the club everyone of those members has a bottle in one of their many cases throughout the bar.

They need to update their web site, but here is a link: www.oneeyedmikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    UKRaven likes bourbon. Unfortunately FellsPointRaven normally forgets to buy it for him from duty free. :grbac:

My two spirits o' choice are Bombay Sapphire and Jack (with coke).
    I do find it strange that Jack Daniels is the most popular bourbon (whiskey???) in the UK and yet Jim Beam is the most popular in the rest of the world.

Tanqueray is a good alternative to Bombay Sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    I was being kind when I said Bulleit was a tad harsh. It is quite harsh, but like yourself, I do enjoy a bit of variety. By the way, Rebel Yell is pretty good too, but for some reason, its rare and pricey down here in the Deep South.

Not sure why you avoid Maker's Mark. They aren't a mass-quantity distillery as their product is a handmade bourbon. I'm an ambassador of their bourbon and have my name on a barrel that is about to mature. They will sell me a couple bottles of "my" bourbon but I have to travel to Loretto KY to get it. Not sure I want to make that trek.

You should revisit Maker's Mark. Cheers!
    Agreed. My "every day" whiskey is Makers Mark. I kept a bottle with the purple wax, commemorating the Ravens SB win. It's sitting on my shelf in my office! :)

If you havnt done so already, join the Embassadors Club. They do free tastings and I even walked away from one meeting with two free bottles.

10. Re: OT: What's your spirit?

Bushmill's Black will kill what ails ya

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed. My "every day" whiskey is Makers Mark. I kept a bottle with the purple wax, commemorating the Ravens SB win. It's sitting on my shelf in my office! :)

If you havnt done so already, join the Embassadors Club. They do free tastings and I even walked away from one meeting with two free bottles.
    Cool, I didn't know they did a purple wax bottle. I am an Ambassador but haven't been to a tasting. Closest they've come was Destin, and that's an hour away. Maybe I'll go the next time.

Head pounding ....

Dry mouth .....

Ugh.