Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QB Situation

Re: QB Situation

if "we" go into the '08 season w/ the same three qb's we ended '07w/ "we're" screwed. no two ways about it!

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    ... and I think Boller has been around too.
    I don't think so as Cameron said he had met with Boller in California for a few hours at his press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Stop it with your reasonable thinking and logic.

PP
    Im sorry. I forgot what I was doing for a sec.

Blog Entries

So the Steelers don't have a quality defense? I mean, Troy Polamalu wasn't playing but other than him, I'm pretty sure their defense is pretty good, and the rest of their starters played, didn't they?

That said I agree with the sentiments of most of you...I'd like it better going into next year with Boller, Troy, and a drafted QB than going in with McNair, Troy, and a drafted QB. Boller has more trade value than McNair, but there's also a good shot no one bites on the trade and just waits for us to cut Boller or have him leave in FA next year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

McNair has been at OM working out hard...seems like he plans on making a comeback. UGH!!!! Get RID of this guy.

FM

Trading Boller would be bizarre. He's the best QB on the team right now, or, more accurately, the least bad. We'd be left with a drafted rookie (likely 2nd-4th rounder), a washed up vet, and a soph whose only game against a quality defense (seattle) was terrible. I would think that Cameron would be unhappy to have less QB resources than Billick had.

BIZZARE? With some people it always seems as if cutting boller is a nutty idea, boller has been a fruitless experiment. Lets move on and let the new coach bring in talent that he wants to work with, not the past HC's trash. When Boller started we lost to alot of games this year. I actually chuckled when you said he's the "Least bad" because its further from the truth, he's the worst and has been for years. Yes he is probably the most Athletic but he has never demonstrated that on the football field. And he's had all the chances in the world.

As far as having less resources if we got rid of boller, a trade or bringing in new talent for a fresh start would be ideal for a new Head coach and as a new head coach I'm sure he would rather have someone of Mcnairs experience on the roster to help mentor anyone new who is brought in. And before you say that I'm a hugger or Hater let me tell you this, I wouldnt mind if they cut Mcnair if it saves money on the cap but I totally dont want to see Boller ever starting again for this franchise as long as I have season tickets. We've seen enough, I've seen enough and its Just not working out.

How in the world can you blame coaching for McNair, he came into camp after a very sparse off-season conditioning program and was out of shape. Read between the lines, the guy spent little off-season time at the complex. The coaches didn't question it because it was his first off-season with us. McNair stunk last year because he didn't prepare in the off-season. This made him injury prone
    Greg you just blamed the coaches and you dont even realize it.

Boller was the least Bad QB on our field last year, live with it.

It would be "weird" to trade him, but it's actually sounding better to me by the minute, for a couple of reasons.
    It sounds like McNair is doing what he can to be healthy and ready for July. His impact on the cap is messy this year, pretty much any way you slice it.

I think that McNair and Smith and a Rook would be an acceptable depth chart with the lineup around it. We have a chance at the playoffs, if we remain healthy and a lot of things go our way, but realistically it is preparation for next year.

So, form a cap and draft perspective, trading Boller drops the cap and increases the picks. Reducing McNair's salary without making it up in Bonus money is the best short and long term cap sollution as it will reduce his number this year, while absorbing more of that bonus money so as not to push it all into next year. So Provided he takes a BIG paycut down to $3m or less in Salary, without consollation, I feel this is the best option for the future.

We should be able to get a pretty solid look at Smith in this scenario. Perhaps even a look at the Rookie at the end of the year.

Wink Re: QB Situation

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    So the Steelers don't have a quality defense? I mean, Troy Polamalu wasn't playing but other than him, I'm pretty sure their defense is pretty good, and the rest of their starters played, didn't they?
    I recall there being a long list of Steelers starters not playing. Regardless, in decades of watching NFL football, it's rare to see teams which have clinched playoff berths do more than go through the motions to avoid injuries. There was no intensity in our final game, as contrasted to the Seattle game, where their defenders were kicking the shit out of our entire offense -- not just Troy. Regardless, his performance in Seattle was an embarassment: minus 5 yards passing going into the half.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    McNair has been at OM working out hard...seems like he plans on making a comeback. UGH!!!! Get RID of this guy.

FM
    I think I'll go if this bozo ever puts on a Ravens uniform again.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Regardless, his performance in Seattle was an embarassment: minus 5 yards passing going into the half.
    Of course, that was Troy's first start of his career; AND the Steelers, regardless of the circumstances, still came in with the No. 1 Ranked Defense.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I recall there being a long list of Steelers starters not playing. Regardless, in decades of watching NFL football, it's rare to see teams which have clinched playoff berths do more than go through the motions to avoid injuries. There was no intensity in our final game, as contrasted to the Seattle game, where their defenders were kicking the shit out of our entire offense -- not just Troy. Regardless, his performance in Seattle was an embarassment: minus 5 yards passing going into the half.
    With your comments about playoff teams taking their foot off the gas taken into account, the Steelers changes in starting lineup from week 16 to week 17:

WR - Nate Washington replaced Hiney Ward
    HB - Najeh Davenport replaced the injured Willie Parker (Bust leg, IR)
    QB - Charlie Batch replaced Toothlessburger
    SS - Tyrone Carter replaced Troy Polamalu

That was it for the Steeler's changes.

I recall there being a long list of Steelers starters not playing.
    Polamalu was it. Aaron Smith if you wanna count him but he was injured and missed a lot of games at the end of the season. Smith played well that game against one of the league's best defenses, so your assessment that he had only one game vs. a legit NFL D isn't correct.

He is, however, very untested. A big question mark.

With that said, I've got a lot more faith in the new coaching staff - particularly if we get a good QB coach - to turn him and any other young QB into a legit starter. The old staff was horrible at it. The list of QBs that ran through Baltimore is insanely long as we all know. Can anyone seriously tell me they had any hope for Billick's staff to be able to develop a QB into a legitimate NFL passer?

Until Billick got fired, I was absolutely dreading getting a guy like Woodson in the 1st round. He's a guy with a lot of great tools who's raw and needs good coaching to succeed in this league. Now, getting him wouldn't bother me nearly as much. I feel like there's hope that we can turn Smith, a draftee, and hell maybe even Boller into a real QB.

- C -