Maybe now we can cover a kick

"The Ravens hired Jerry Rosburg as special teams coach Wednesday, a move that provides veteran leadership on a unit that is particularly meaningful to new head coach John Harbaugh.

Rosburg coached the Atlanta Falcons' special teams this season after spending the previous six years in the same capacity with the Cleveland Browns. In 2006, the Browns ranked among the top 15 in punt return average, kickoff return average and net punting average. One year earlier, Cleveland led the NFL in special teams scoring.

Rosburg also was a college coach for 20 years, including the 1999-2000 seasons as Notre Dame's cornerbacks and special teams coach.

He replaces Frank Gansz Jr., who was fired on Dec. 31 when the Ravens dismissed head coach Brian Billick and his entire staff. Rosburg joins offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, hired on Monday.

Harbaugh is one coach who certainly can appreciate the importance of special teams play; he was in charge of the Philadelphia Eagles' special teams from 1998-2006."
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Maybe now we can cover a kick

I like the hire, but the dude's picture is a BIT frightening!

Baltimore Ravens.com says Cam Cameron will be at the PC this afternoon...I think this means he might announce some more staff hires, or just be available for the media to interview him. But I don't see why it would be the latter when we already had him do a conference call last week.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Man, that's one frightening looking dude - those special teamers better man up with that guy looking over their shoulder!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Of course, he still doesn't beat TJ Slaughter in the scary looking department...

He was another special teams guy, wonder what he's up to nowadays...He's listed as being a member of the 49ers, but they don't list him on their roster...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

A further bit of news on our new special teams coordinator:

"An All-American linebacker at North Dakota State, Jerry Rosburg received his bachelor's degree in 1978, and went on to earn a master's degree from Northern Michigan in 1983."

Scholar athlete to boot!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Good deal! Although, I still love Art Modell's piece of advice to John Harbaugh...I can't remember it word for word but it was basically: "You can not go wrong, hiring good people. Hiring smart people, eh, go let them be smart somewhere. But you can not lose hiring good people"

We needed an upgrade in the Special Teams dept. Frank Gantz, Jr. was suppose to be this super special teams coach, and our special teams were nothing special this year.

Glad he's got another gig. Last time I saw that dude he was terrorizing a family in The Hills Have Eyes.

Seriously, I'm glad we've got a new ST coach - Gansz wasn't getting it done, our kick coverage being particularly horrible last year.

Re: TJ Slaughter - he still has his website (http://www.tjslaughter.com/), but it's under development. It used to be hilarious. He also models, apparently.
    Last edited by FellsPointRaven; 01-30-2008 at 04:21 PM.

That dude looks like Al Bundy without hair!

I'll bet he scored four touchdowns in one game when he played at Polk High...:D

Blog Entries

well, I think Figurs stepped up in the return game, but yes, I would say his (Gansz's) ST have not been spectacular.

Figurs ranked 32nd in the league in average KR yards (remember, this is by individual returner with at least one KR. If you cut it down to at least 10 KRs, he jumps to 21st...cut it back to at least 30, he's #10). As a team, we were #10 in average KR in 2007. Atlanta was #6

Can't find any more stats for ST on NFL.com, so I'll just concur, this guy was a great hire, a step up for our ST.

Our ST sucked this year!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    We needed an upgrade in the Special Teams dept. Frank Gantz, Jr. was suppose to be this super special teams coach, and our special teams were nothing special this year.
    Too often coaches get too much credit when the team does well and too much blame when the team does poorly. Players still have to perform. Any special teams coach looks great when Dante Hall is returning kicks in his prime. How good does the Bears special teams coach look now with Hester returning kicks?