Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What's up with NST?

I used to like reading the blogs there but everyting these days is about how these guys feel like they are being lied to all the time. Fist it was Bisciotti that "lied" to them about Billick being safe and then fired. Every other blog is now accusing Bisciotti of making all the decisions and how the Ravens are like the Orioles now and Bisciotti is the second coming of Angelos. Just don't see that.

Now there is a blog about McPhail again "lying" to them about the Bedard trade. If you don't think Bedard is going to be traded then where have you been all year? I don't know, I used to like reading nst stuff but lately it is a really lacking a professional slant.

Anyone else notice this recent trend or has it always been about personal feelings?

Re: What's up with NST?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I used to like reading the blogs there but everyting these days is about how these guys feel like they are being lied to all the time. Fist it was Bisciotti that "lied" to them about Billick being safe and then fired. Every other blog is now accusing Bisciotti of making all the decisions and how the Ravens are like the Orioles now and Bisciotti is the second coming of Angelos. Just don't see that.

Now there is a blog about McPhail again "lying" to them about the Bedard trade. If you don't think Bedard is going to be traded then where have you been all year? I don't know, I used to like reading nst stuff but lately it is a really lacking a professional slant.

Anyone else notice this recent trend or has it always been about personal feelings?
    It SEEMS like it's just here lately. I responded to his blog about McPhail lying, or Adam Jones lying. It's people like him... any reporter really, in an effort to scoop the other reporters, that cause GMs, etc to lie. They won't shut up and allow the deal to happen. Then they cry like babies.. he lied to me! He lied to me. And then they expect US to be all up in arms, like they are... Don't they understand? Reporters are a necessary EVIL...it's not about THEM!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post

NST is the perfect example of that shock media.

Do or say whatever to get listeners and to hell with ethics or that pesky thing called the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    NST is the perfect example of that shock media.

Do or say whatever to get listeners and to hell with ethics or that pesky thing called the truth.
    Houston, do you listen all that often? I think I remember you live in Texas. . . I don't think you're right, and I listen all the time.

The different personalities have widely different takes on many subjects, and they obviously spend a lot of effort, in the form of warm bodies at the facilities, trying to get real information.

Concerning your comment about 'ethics', they absolutely sit on stuff until they get confirmation, unlike some other local media outlets, which run with whatever stupid stuff they hear and later get embarrassed when it turns out they were wrong. . .

Responding to Galen, I can understand them being miffed recently. They, like everybody else, were lied to about the future of Brian Billick. So I would expect their tone to reflect what they have now learned about the Ravens operations: they are no longer above that kind of deception (or whimsy, select one or both).
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

5. Re: What's up with NST?

I agree, the NST seems like a bunch of whiners lately.

Its great to have a locally owned, all local sports radio programming. Without it, we are stuck with national news and the once and awhile sports shows on wbal, and the 1300 espn radio that has some local shows but mostly national shows. Its nice to have around the clock local sports news and talk.

That being said they need stop whining, many people and fans including me are getting tired and turned off by it. If you keep whining, not only do the fans get fed up, but the ravens and orioles organizations will tend to not give you inside information after awhile. Why be nice if you are going to whine about it. Be nice to the hand that feeds you.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Responding to Galen, I can understand them being miffed recently. They, like everybody else, were lied to about the future of Brian Billick. So I would expect their tone to reflect what they have now learned about the Ravens operations: they are no longer above that kind of deception (or whimsy, select one or both).
    I don't feel like I was lied to so I wouldn't say "everybody else". I like wsnt and feel like it is an asset to baltimore sports. Lately though the blogs have become unbearable to read because there is no objectivity in their approach. Read the responses to the blogs...many people feel the same way and day after day it continues about feeling "lied' to.

McPhail and Bisciotti need to do what is right for these teams and if that means witholding information than so be it. If you feel like you are being lied to, you need to reasses your importance in this whole thing. Let go of the ego and write about sports.

Houston, do you listen all that often? I think I remember you live in Texas. . . I don't think you're right, and I listen all the time.
    It's called steaming audio, maybe you've heard of it? But to your point, no I stopped listening about a year ago for the same reasons I dont read Preston all that much anymore. More often then not, they are wrong on their info and as far as their on-air talent, it's quite lacking. It's overly-sensationalized with gossip, rumor and inuendo. Not to say ESPN 1300 is any better -- they seem to do the same thing. When they start naming sources (something Steve Davis on WBAL is very good at doing), I will give them another try.

The different personalities have widely different takes on many subjects, and they obviously spend a lot of effort, in the form of warm bodies at the facilities, trying to get real information.
    Having a warm body at 1 Winning Drive doesnt equal effective journalism (See Anita Marks).

Concerning your comment about 'ethics', they absolutely sit on stuff until they get confirmation, unlike some other local media outlets, which run with whatever stupid stuff they hear and later get embarrassed when it turns out they were wrong. . .
    They report anything and everything, hoping it all sticks -- especially their comments about the Ravens FO. Without saying one source, they accuse everyone in that FO of lying. Im sure sometimes they are right, but that goes to my point. Throw enough crap on the wall and its bound to stick sometimes. Or maybe the right analogy would be the blind squirrel? Not sure which -- maybe both.

With that said, I dont blame them for what they do. They are the upstart (well, not counting their failed go at it back in 1999), trying to make a name for themselves. They are run by radio amateurs so they are learning as they go (and I give them credit for their success thus far). But Nestor lost a lot of props from me when he overstated the number of people at the Detroit game and his Free the Birds outing. While well intended and something I agree with, him overstating the actual numbers of people protesting was sour to me. THAT along with "everyone is a liar at 1 winning drive" theory is what I am refering to when I say ethics are lacking at NST.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne
    I don't know, I used to like reading nst stuff but lately it is a really lacking a professional slant.
    I don't read the NST blogs so I can't really comment on that, but my impression of Nestor from hearing him on the radio is that it is very much about personal feelings and not very professional. I like Drew and Bob and think they are very good, but Nestor comes across like a blowhard way too much. It's always very personal with him. I don't think this is different from how they've been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    It's called steaming audio, maybe you've heard of it?
    "Steaming audio?" Frediuan slip, Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    "Steaming audio?" Frediuan slip, Houston?
    buhahahaha .... quite possible! I will leave that gaff up.

It worked they got you talking about them
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    It worked they got you talking about them
    Talking about a radio station doesnt translate into ratings and not their ultimate goal.

Speaking of good ratings, WBAL just announced it will get 4 more years of being the official Ravens station.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-28-2008 at 06:34 PM.