Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's up with NST?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Not at all the case. For quite a long time he compared the two front offices and gave the Ravens high reviews while appropriately crapping on the Os' front office.

When the Ravens deserved it he called them out. The facts are Billick was not handled well at all and the coaching search was not clean and smooth like a fan would hope. Please don't try and sell me that shit sandwich and call it tuna salad.
    Ok. I agree with you. I wasnt making that particular comparison. Like I said, I have not listened in some time. I remember a time when early last season Nestor was railing on and on about Ozzie for some reason (the actual reason escapes me) when not one other journalist was reporting the same. That particular rant was the tipping point for me as far his constant comparisons (at the time) between the fuck-stick that's running the O's and Bisciotti. I had enough.

For the example you bring up, the handling of Billick is a matter of opinion, not fact. Was it bad form that Bisciotti changed his mind last minute? Sure. But that one incident does not reflect on the orginization as a whole. There are many glaring examples of FO's run MUCH worse then ours.

I wouldnt try to sell you on anything, Greg. Well, maybe to get you to change your drink du jour to Grand Marnier instead of Banana Rum! ;)

I don't necessarily disagree with Nestor's views, especially as they pertain to the Orioles, but almost every time I hear him on the radio, he comes across like a raging egomaniac. He may be a very nice guy, and I admire his passion, but he just seems to be too wrapped up in himself. He talks about himself so much that he eventually gets to a point where it's hard to take his opinions seriously, even if he has a legitimate point.

If I win the lottery tonight Im gonna start my own radio station.

PP

get sirius radio you will never go back
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    Had it. Hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    I used to say that. But I did go back.

I got Sirius originally because of Howard Stern. But Stern was dishonest about not having commercials. His show has a couple decent commercial breaks per hour. And they play the lamest, sleaziest spots you can imagine ("We'll help you cheat on your spouse!") On top of that, Stern never told his loyal listeners that he was only going to work four days a week. Plus he takes literally 10 weeks of vacation a year.

And when he does work, he spend most of his time bitching about having to work and looking forward to retiring. The best part of the old show was the interviews and guests. They absolutely can't get a guest on the new show. Zilch.

All in all, Howard, Robin and the rest of them have become over privledged, over complaining, under working bores.

As for the rest of Siruis, there were some music channels I enjoyed. But there are more and more HD local stations and there's always the iPod. The sports programming is a big disappointment. It's basically the same ESPN shows on regular radio, with the same commercials.

The one bonus is the NFL network.

But it's hard for me to tell someone to buy the hardware and the monthly subscription to listen to NFL network.

I guess I should add, I simply stopped listening to Sirius and gave my wife the unit.

As for WNST, I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Drew Forrester, the leading critic of the Ravens, has made a couple valid points, but he's gone way farther than I can agree with in making his conclusions.

He points to the fact that Bisciotti told Billick and the media that Brian was staying. They were stating it publicly as late as 3 days prior to firing Brian.

Drew points to that and says, "They Lied!!" I don't see it. I believe the Ravens story that Bisciotti simply changed his mind. A lie means Bisciotti purposely mislead. Where's the evidence that he intended to screw Brian all along? Don't see it.

The second accusation Drew makes is that this reversal of field on Bisciotti's part was not only a lie, but an orchestrated plot by the "business people" to thwart the better judgment of "the football people." This is where the Angelos comparison comes in. Drew claims that he has it on good authority that Dick Cass has teamed up with Bisciotti to start making football decisions, while ignoring the GM and the heads of pro and college scouting.

When callers have inquired how he knows this, Drew says that he has connections inside the Castle and they tell him this. But he can't reveal the connections or the details. So we're just going to have to believe him.

Very Prestonesque.

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing him throw out this accusation, again and again and again with his smug little chuckle, as if to say he knows more than we do and anyone who doubts him is an ill informed dolt.

He may have a good source, but you know what, it's lousy reporting to base weeks and weeks of morning shows and blogs on non-information.

You can report it once maybe--my source says that Ozzie's first choice was not John Harbaugh--but don't build a month's worth of whining on one incident, blown up to be something more than you're willing to prove.

The Orioles have dozens and dozens and dozens of these small incidents that establish a clear pattern. Okay, a reasonable person has to concede that the club is badly managed.

But Drew's taken an awkward firing, and perhaps some internal disagreement on the relative merits of various replacement candidates, and blown it up to be the same thing as these nine years of Orioles aimlessness.

You gotta give me a lot more than "trust me, I have a source" if you want me to sit and nod my head as you trash the organization for a month.

Everyone is freaking out because of Peter Angelos. The owner made a decision! Slippery slope of doom!!! Oh noes...

Everyone needs to calm down, and i think most on this board are calm and levelheaded about the hiring and firing process. Then again, like Mike Preston, even those who proclaim to hate keep on listening. Either way, it's money in their pockets.
    Just win baby...

Quote Originally Posted by shaslers View Post
    But Drew's taken an awkward firing, and perhaps some internal disagreement on the relative merits of various replacement candidates, and blown it up to be the same thing as these nine years of Orioles aimlessness.
    Good post overall, excellent contribution.

I can't agree with this more. Comparing Steve Bisciotti to Peter Angelos is at *very* best premature, and at worst a terrible insult to Bisciotti.
    :toast:

Nevertheless I'm a big fan of NST and don't feel like I have to agree with everything each host says.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by shaslers View Post
    You gotta give me a lot more than "trust me, I have a source" if you want me to sit and nod my head as you trash the organization for a month.
    Exactly my point. I see that nothing has changed over there as far the sourcing and rumors go.

Not sure why Festivus agrees with you though -- you said exactly the same thing I've been saying all week (but not with the eloquence you displayed here!) ;)

Good Post Slaslers. I for one, am very excited about the changes the Ravens have made. The Ravens are run by committee for the most part, and organizations that are well run, take into account, the opinions of all of their higher level managers. To think that the football operations people have lost all control over in OM is ridiculous.

As far as WNST is concerned, I like the reporting of Casey Willett, Aaron Wilson and Bruce Cunningham. The weekend programs are good, too. I just think a lot of personal feelings were expressed when the Billick firing took place, because Billick was a friend of the station and I don't think they have too many friends. Say what you want about Anita Marks, she really gets the guests and she was the first to report on Sunday after the Steelers game that Brian Billick was on thin ice. She said that Jay Glazer was reporting that the Ravens were interviewing personnel about keeping Brian. WNST said that Brian was staying. When Brian was fired, it made them look bad. That is the reason for the whining. It will stop soon, life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Exactly my point. I see that nothing has changed over there as far the sourcing and rumors go.

Not sure why Festivus agrees with you though -- you said exactly the same thing I've been saying all week (but not with the eloquence you displayed here!) ;)
    Houston, the difference is, he made a very specific point about a very specific argument from exactly one of the personalities. An opinion I happen to agree with.

You on the other hand made broad and inaccurate statements about the station as a whole.

Now you know.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Houston, the difference is, he made a very specific point about a very specific argument from exactly one of the personalities. An opinion I happen to agree with.

You on the other hand made broad and inaccurate statements about the station as a whole.

Now you know.
    For someone that doesnt care you sure do spend a lot of time twisting my words around.

I wasnt aware that opinions could be "inaccurate".:girlfight