Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: It's Official now with Rex Ryan

The potential 'flaw' is if the players see him as the HC and only want to play for him!

Otherwise it's great news!!!!

Blog Entries

i don't think so, I think Rex and John have this thing talked out, and Ryan is going to make it clear that John is the boss, Rex his right hand man. If the players are looking for a power play, Rex is going to back John up.

If not, I don't think John would've hired him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Folks seem to think that Ryan is the cause of the defenses lack of discipline. It's the fact they're defenisive players that makes them lack discipline. Defense is played with a lot of emotion, usually anger. I can't remember who said it, but my favorite quote about playing on that side of the ball is, "Playing defense is simple. Run towards the ball and arrive there in a bad mood."

Even the defensive goody-two-shoes like John Lynch get personal foul penalties for acting stupid. If defensive guys were smart, they'd be playing on offense.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

"It's the fact they're defenisive players that makes them lack discipline. "

I have to disagree w/ this. The coach has to have some responsibility here.
    I watch a LOT of NFL games and the Ravens stick out as having a severe lack of discipline. Your blanket statement above I think is a gross over-simplification of the issue.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    "It's the fact they're defenisive players that makes them lack discipline. "

I have to disagree w/ this. The coach has to have some responsibility here.
    I watch a LOT of NFL games and the Ravens stick out as having a severe lack of discipline. Your blanket statement above I think is a gross over-simplification of the issue.

FM
    Agreed. Defense is about controlled emotion and anger. There were many times, dating back to the Detroit debacle, where the D players lost one or both.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Folks seem to think that Ryan is the cause of the defenses lack of discipline. It's the fact they're defenisive players that makes them lack discipline. Defense is played with a lot of emotion, usually anger. I can't remember who said it, but my favorite quote about playing on that side of the ball is, "Playing defense is simple. Run towards the ball and arrive there in a bad mood."

Even the defensive goody-two-shoes like John Lynch get personal foul penalties for acting stupid. If defensive guys were smart, they'd be playing on offense.
    you could not have said it any better. Also it was Billicks job to discipline the players not Rex. The HC is in charge, it his job to make sure players are acting right. This really is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. This is a great hire again, and i'm looking forward to a great season.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

I think there was only one game where the penalties were out of control for the defense, and that was the NE game.

I think there was more than meets the eye going on there. You had a dispute between Samari and the ref, you had a TON of trash talk going on both teams, you had some strange circumstances towards the end of that game where it felt like the only way we wouldn't get flagged is if we just stood still on defense and let NE score.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bart's throw of the flag into the stands was excusable, but I don't think the behavioral problems were out of control...I think you had that one game, and then some lack of respect from veteran players towards the head coach. LOTS of teams have the latter, hell...Joey Porter and Zach Thomas allegedly ripped Cam Cameron a new one IN THEIR OWN TEAM MEETING! Yes, we need a coach that will control that, but to some degree, I wouldn't blame it on Rex. Lots of NFL players have the ego attitude get to them in the heat of the moment. We just need the coaching staff to crack down on those outbursts and make sure players know what will happen if they don't check their ego.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Harbs is going to set the practice times and influence the tone to some degree.
    He will control the meetings (time and length), determine fines for infractions, and will have a different (more firery?) perspective then BB.
    I understand the concerns with keeping Rex, but as long as he is in Harbs camp, I don't think the issues that were surfacing last year are going to be a problem that doesn't get dealt with fast. Harbs may not be very hands on with defensive things, but he should (and he better) have a grip on team issues and an effectiveness in dealing with them instead of just appearing to ignore them. IMHO

I'm not unhappy with the choice.

I understand that Harbs is meeting with some of the players already and that they know what is ahead of them. They know they are going to have a meaningful training camp, and that they will play with discipline--making good choices at critical times.

Although I was not for Rex's returning, initially, I think he is man enough to have the coach's back. We just have to wait and see how things play out. I don't think this new coach is going to tolerate comments made in the media about him, the way Coach Billick did. He is going to treat them like football players, not men.

I'm all for Rex coming back. Our D should be top 8 this year with a easier season ahead. I think all will be well for the new coach. plus Rex, after last season knows what he really needs for that D.

Now my only concern is, who's the O line coach ?:ot

I think that's a bigger issue than the mad sciencist coming back to do what we do best.

Harbaugh will point us in a new direction, one we have not seen in years. Me i'm all for that.

I couldn't find any info regarding the assistants (on the defensive side), are they all coming back too?

Except Fitzgerald of course who signed with Cincy.

Blog Entries

I'm hoping now that both coorindators are on board, both will evaluate the current assistants and just bring back who we think should be back.

Example: Chris Foerster should NOT be back. Tony Nathan SHOULD be back.

I think same even goes with Rex and the defensive staff. There might be some changes coming with the staff. I heard somewhere Mike Pettine is going to be the LB coach, or most likely will be the LB coach.