Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So Why Is Not Rex Hired Yet?!

Anyone out there know why Rex is not signed yet, given that everybody presumably wants him on-board? Probably dickering over salary. Danny boy is likely engaged in a bidding war, don't you think? Anyway, if anyone can clarify this, please do so!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: So Why Is Not Rex Hired Yet?!

I would imagine money is at the bottom of it, it usually is..
    AZRAVEN

[

Here's where we need a money emoticon, because if it isn't over money, I don't know what the delay is.

If Harbaugh and Rex are to be believed, based on their comments to the media, they both want this to happen. So my guess is that they are working on a new contract for Rex.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if Rex isn't a little peeved over being passed over for the HC job. In spite of his positive public comments about wanting to return, maybe he needs a little time to think it over. And if so, that's fine with me.

Nestor called in on Drew's show this morning on NST and they discussed it.

Nestor said Ryan is still technically under contract. He can leave if he wants for a position as HC but *may not* go to another team as DC, even if he wants to. He *will* be paid for next year but is *not* at this rate even guaranteed a job anywhere in the NFL, because the Ravens can, and have apparently chosen to, string him along until they are ready to decide their next move.

One possibility is as I suggested (and now, frankly, hope) is he comes back as DC, maybe even for more money, which would presumably involve an extension, too. Another possibility is they bring in someone else, and Rex is left to pound the pavement, very late in the process and perhaps too late to find another comparable position anywhere.

Drew and Nestor both agreed this was "bush league" behavior by the Ravens, some of you out there who believe NST in general and Nestor in particular are too kind to the Ravens take note.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    He *will* be paid for next year but is *not* at this rate even guaranteed a job anywhere in the NFL, because the Ravens can, and have apparently chosen to, string him along until they are ready to decide their next move.
    If this NST report is true, I find it troubling. It sounds like something the Orioles would do, but not something I would associate with the Ravens. On the surface, it does sound bush league.

A side note -- I have very much enjoyed the banter on the board tonight, which I had expected to be pretty slow. Festivus, Houston, PP, AZRaven, Joe and anyone else I may have missed, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    A side note -- I have very much enjoyed the banter on the board tonight, which I had expected to be pretty slow. Festivus, Houston, PP, AZRaven, Joe and anyone else I may have missed, I salute you!
    Agreed.

Well, in part, here is the answer to my question. Looks like Rex WILL be back, assuming the Ravens get off their collective derrier. As reported by RavenCentral -

I spoke with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome today, and he was very adamant about the team retaining Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator. As a matter of fact, he practically guaranteed it. There was some truth to Jim Fassel talking to Ryan about becoming Washington's defensive coordinator, but it never reached the serious stage.

For it to get to that point, the Redskins had to contact Newsome, and they never did. But Newsome did admit that the Bengals wanted to speak with Ryan about becoming their defensive coordinator weeks ago, but the Ravens denied them permission. There were no negotiations between the Ravens and Ryan today, but they will heat up soon.

"We're going to get something done, even if I have to meet with Ozzie myself without the agents or anyone else in the room," said Ryan -
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I have a theory and it could be way off base. I wonder if the Ravens are waiting for Dan Snyder to offer draft picks for Rex. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBone
    I have a theory and it could be way off base. I wonder if the Ravens are waiting for Dan Snyder to offer draft picks for Rex. Just a thought.
    Intriguing idea, but my guess is no. It sounds like Harbaugh and Bisciotti want Rex back, and if Rex wants to come back too (as he has said), then I don't think they'd send him to Washington for a draft pick.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the league would let them do that anyway. I keep getting confused about the league rules on this, but I don't think a team can pick up any coach for draft picks unless it's a head coach.

My gut feeling (this has become a new catch phrase among Ravens fans) is that Rex doesn't want to go to Washington anyway.

Blog Entries

A couple outlets reported that you can NOT send draft picks for assistants. So for Rex to go to DC, it pretty much has to be the Ravens agreeing to let him go string free...

That said, I think we're not rushing this because there's no need to. I bet they'll meet on Monday and start working on the contract details.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    A couple outlets reported that you can NOT send draft picks for assistants. So for Rex to go to DC, it pretty much has to be the Ravens agreeing to let him go string free...

That said, I think we're not rushing this because there's no need to. I bet they'll meet on Monday and start working on the contract details.
    I didn't know that rule existed. So much for that theory.

Blog Entries

well, the one report I read that said that then said "But there's nothing to say the Ravens don't trade a backup punter to the Redskins right after for a 4th round pick..."

I just don't see it happening...if the interest in him as DC here is mutual, then he will stay.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!