Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Behind the scene's look at the Ravens interview process with Coach J. Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Well, the man is in PR his job is to put the most positive spin possible. i'm sure the process description is accurate, but some details were clearly omitted IMO.

Undoubtedly. But for boring PR reasons, and not to cover up, for instance, the grand NFL Conspiracy Against Mike Singletary. One obvious omission was the identity of Option #3. But for reasons having to do with protecting peoples' reputation and dignity, Byrne left that out. Byrne also left out who objected to Ryan (or indeed any of the candidates) getting the position, and what those objections may have been. Why? Being critical of any of those people in general and any of them in detail would be needlessly harsh.

I suspect we are looking at what happened through Byrne-colored-glasses, but it is still what happened.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: Behind the scene's look at the Ravens interview process with Coach J. Harbaugh.

"How did reporters covering our search have so much right information, especially when we were trying to keep secrets? Agents. Every head coaching candidate we interviewed has an agent – and now many assistant coaches have agents. The agents advise their clients. The agents love to create leverage and be “sources” for reporters. Heck, we had one agent negotiating a final deal for his head coaching client call us and say: “He’d rather be with you.” "

Any thought on who that was?
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Blog Entries

#3 had to be Brian Schottenheimer...there was a leak the weekend before Garrett came here about the Ravens having their list as #1 - Jason Garrett, #2 - Brian Schottenheimer, and #3 - John Harbaugh.

I think the order was reversed and it was Brian Schottenheimer who we would've felt "comfortable" about...though I guarantee you probably would've had an UPROAR from all Ravens fans if he became our HC.

As far as who the agent meant...gee, I wonder who that could be ;) The only other person than Garrett would've been Sparano, but I seriously doubt he wanted to be here more than with the Dolphins, otherwise he would've lobbied for this job. And it's just as well, we interviewed him to be thorough, but I don't think we would've hired him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Im ready for the season to start
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

Blog Entries

i'm ready for camp to start up...my new house is about 2 blocks from McDaniel College...the only thing that might prevent me from going is I'll have my newborn son with me...but, I don't see anything wrong with exposing him to the purple and black at an early stage :D

Can't wait to see Coach Harbaugh kicking ass and taking names at camp, getting this team back in shape next year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I personally really do like the Harbaugh hiring. HOWEVER, if I was someone that didn't, reading a blog posted by the Ravens PR director is not something that would make me feel better about it, that's all I'm saying.
    I have NO reason to disbelieve what Kevin posted in his article - it sounds perfectly legit to me.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Excellent read, thank you.
    Not something I would have had the time to ordinarily find.
    Also followed Kevin's link to Dick Cass' account amd something in that just hit me a little curious...
    Jason called Steve Wednesday evening indicating he wanted to become head coach of the Ravens if we could work out a deal. Up to that point, we had not indicated to Jason what salary we would offer to our new head coach. After Jason indicated he wanted to be our head coach, we began negotiations with his agent Wednesday night and, after several hours of discussion, thought we had an agreement on compensation. However, Jason decided later that night that he wanted to stay in Dallas as offensive coordinator.
    Something in me is reading that a little differently (or reading into it??)
    'after Jason learned the salary that JJ would have to match he declined the offer' is that a stretch? or does it hit you the same way?
    I think we didn't get the wrong guy :)

There Is Absolutely No Question In My Mind That We Got The Right Guy! He Should Be With Us For The Next Decade!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

You've got to admit that there is a 'feel good factor' to the final choice.

We may all be proved wrong - I hope not. However, the fact that many HOF HC's are from a special teams background makes me feel even better about Harbaugh's appointment.

UKRaven,

I believe this is called the honeymoon period. :D

This was an excellent read. As far as giving more details about other candidates who were or were not interviewed, who was number 3, what happended with Jason Garrett, is not important now. Some details will be left out to protect the privacy of others. I think the Ravens have been as up front as possible about their process and anyone who now thinks that Ozzie wasn't in agreement with the hiring is just plain wrong. I am excited about the direction of the team and I will be interested in all of the hirings going forward. I think that the experience of our 2 coordinators will give our new coach the resources needed to make sound football decisions and I think you will see a noteable difference in the preparation of this team.