Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Monday Night Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by losac
    It could be worse. Remember Dennis Miller?
    I’d rather listen to Dennis Miller than Theisman. At least Miller was funny…Theisman is just obnoxious. Kornheiser didn’t impress me much, either. ESPN could do a lot better than this. Get Berman in there, at least…

Really and truly, I owe Theisman an apology. I have long said he’s the worst announcer in the history of NFL football, but that was before I got a chance to hear Jaws calling the Ravens/Eagles game on Fox last week. He is without a doubt the biggest two-faced homer I have ever had the displeasure of listening to. I realize he played for Philadephia, but I’ll never be able to watch him on ESPN again without thinking of those wet slurping noises he made whenever he talked about the Eagles.

It was a real hoot to hear him say McNair was “smokin’” last night on the Fastest Minute. I never would have thought so from hearing his commentary on Thursday, that’s for sure.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad2099
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I’d rather listen to Dennis Miller than Theisman. At least Miller was funny…
    The problem with Miller was that his jokes were mostly obscure references and not many people got them. I only really laughed at one thing he said. The Bucs were playing the Vikings, and he made some sort of tree analogy about (Warren) Sapp and (Randy) Moss.

I have never really minded Theismann. Don't see what the big issue with him is.

I would have liked to see Monday Night Football bring in Mike Patrick. He did a great job on ESPN Sunday Night Football

If you will go to broadcasts of 3-4 years ago, and compare to last year's games, you will notice that Mike Patrick was getting ... well slow, and lagging behind! Meaning he was losing his edge. I think Espn noticed, and didn't want to begin stewardship of the MNF with ... well, that aspect included!

I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is pre-season for them as a new team as well...

However, Joe sounds condescending to me (as usual), an and at times "Captain Obvious". :bag:

Time will tell if this new team will work; but so far... It's Great!

Of all the people possible for ESPN to put on Monday Night Football it's Tirico, Theismann, and Kornheiser. Just doesn't seem right, but I'll be watching regardless.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I realize he played for Philadephia, but I’ll never be able to watch him on ESPN again without thinking of those wet slurping noises he made whenever he talked about the Eagles.
    His broadcast was to Philly. If you were an Eagles fan listening to the broadcast back to Baltimore you would have probably thought them homers...because they are. Jaws was concerned with talking about the Eagles because his audience was Eagles fans. For the NFL Network rebroadcast we got our team for the first half and theirs for the second. At first I was annoyed but then I realized he was talking to Eagles fans for the most part.

People were saying the same thing, when Madden joined MNF, about it being just him & Michaels. But obviously, people got used to it.

Anytime something changes, that was as "traditional" as monday night football, there will seem to be a let-down. But NFL Football, is NFL Football, and it's not like the announcers are that bad. I like Tirico & Theisman; and Tony Cornhole won't last 2 seasons on MNF. We'll get used to whomever takes on the roles as ESPN's MNF announcers.

Also, after we've heard them for a few months & the games begin to matter, it will become easier to listen to them. I wouldn't sweat it over the announcers. Will just take some time to get used to them.

Just my $0.02

I may be in the minority but I think Tony has done great thus far. Of course, I am a big fan, read his books and I listened to his radio show religiously. Don't really mind Theismann as much as some do, and Tirico is solid.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''