Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

I hope not, I would be much happier if they just cut ties and let the guy go. I hope this isn't Bisciotti listening to Ray Lewis.

Cut Ryan and bring in all new fresh blood, top to bottom.

I believe at the press conference:

Reporter: Will John have full autonomy to hire his own coaching staff?

Steve B: Yes.

This puts that question right up front and center.

Well, maybe Mr Whimsey got another "gut feeling" and reconsidered.. it wouldn't be the first time.:)
    AZRAVEN

[

Wink Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    T - you want Ryan to stay solely because he's under contract?
    No -- where did I say that? I think that Ryan is one of the best in the business. I don't want to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    What if Harbaugh wants to go another direction at DC but Bisciotti is pushing for Rex? I'm not comfortable with that and it'd be a move Danny Snyder or Peter Angelos would make. Let Harbaugh pick who he wants. If he really wants Rex, great. But Bisciotti wanting to retain him should not be a factor in his decision.
    Where did some of y'all get the idea that this is Bisciotti acting on his own? That would be totally out of character. I'd be shocked if Harbaugh did not want to retain Ryan.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    No -- where did I say that? I think that Ryan is one of the best in the business. I don't want to lose him.
    Just inferred it from this quote:

I have contracts. I don't always like being under them -- but I always honor them. How is Rex any different?
    I'm not so sure he is all that great. Our defense has been elite for so many years no matter who the DC was - Marvin, Nolan, and now Rex. Could have something to do with the talent on the roster. Rex just seems like a major part of the discipline problem, and aside from that, he never seemed to make any adjustments to his overly complicated schemes this year when he simply didn't have the personnel for it due to injury. He kept leaving Corey Ivy and Willie Gaston out on an island like it was CMac and Rolle playing.

I'd like to see him try to implement his complicated scheme and exotic blitzes on a team with mediocre defensive talent.

Coming into this discussion late, my 2 cents:

1) I don't think that its necessarily apparent that the front office is forcing Ryan on harbaugh. He's a good coach, they have some connection, and what better DCs are there out there?

2) I'm not sure that its bad for the FO to "force" some veteran coordinators (Cameron, Ryan, etc) on what is a young head coach with limited upper level experience AND who does NOT bring with him a offensive OR defensive system. That was one reason I wasn't initially enthused about the Harbaugh hire.

3) I do agree that bringing back Ryan could have being a divisive decision vis a vis the lockerroom. I think he shouldn't be forced back.

4) HOWEVER, I don't think its unreasonable to block him from moving 40 minutes down the street. Of all locations to go, that is the most unnacceptable besides going to another AFC North team. I think blocking this makes perfect sense. If he was moving to be DC of some team like the Seahawks, then thats a clean break for him and us. I don't think his moving down the highway into an adjacent, if not the same, market is an acceptable clean break. Its unnaceptable. It would be possibly as divisive if he's on TV talking mess on the Ravens, etc

5) I don't think its clear that Rex still can't be an effective coordinator for us while we groom a new young gun to take that over.

Really, the best solutions for all parties would have been for Rex to get the Atlanta job, but they didn't. Which makes me think that Rex isn't ready to be a headcoach just yet. Additionally, he made a lot of questionable decisions last year while our corners and best DE were hurt. he could have chilled out on the agressive blitzes a bit, but didn't and we often didn't have the coverage for that.

In any case, I wish the best for Rex and the Ravens, but I think letting him go to the deadskins is unnacceptable if Harbaugh and the rest of the FO team wants him still.

7. Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Bisciotti is already paying Billick $15 million, so it's not the money he's worried about.

Harbaugh absolutely should be allowed to pick the DC he wants with no interference. It's apparent that the FO is forcing Ryan on him. I have a feeling they forced Cameron on him too.
    Harbaugh and Cameron have a history together.
    Cameron was the head coach at Indiana University in 1997 when Harbaugh coached defensive backs and special teams for the Hoosiers. (Sun Link)

Harbaugh was on Sirius shortly after he was hired, hoping ATL wouldn't sign Rex so he could.
    I don't get that Biscuit forced either of these guys on Harbaugh.

HEY THEY ADDED A GREEK FLAG!:greece that's awesome
    I was half joking but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Coming into this discussion late, my 2 cents:

1) I don't think that its necessarily apparent that the front office is forcing Ryan on harbaugh. He's a good coach, they have some connection, and what better DCs are there out there?

2) I'm not sure that its bad for the FO to "force" some veteran coordinators (Cameron, Ryan, etc) on what is a young head coach with limited upper level experience AND who does NOT bring with him a offensive OR defensive system. That was one reason I wasn't initially enthused about the Harbaugh hire.

3) I do agree that bringing back Ryan could have being a divisive decision vis a vis the lockerroom. I think he shouldn't be forced back.

4) HOWEVER, I don't think its unreasonable to block him from moving 40 minutes down the street. Of all locations to go, that is the most unnacceptable besides going to another AFC North team. I think blocking this makes perfect sense. If he was moving to be DC of some team like the Seahawks, then thats a clean break for him and us. I don't think his moving down the highway into an adjacent, if not the same, market is an acceptable clean break. Its unnaceptable. It would be possibly as divisive if he's on TV talking mess on the Ravens, etc

5) I don't think its clear that Rex still can't be an effective coordinator for us while we groom a new young gun to take that over.

Really, the best solutions for all parties would have been for Rex to get the Atlanta job, but they didn't. Which makes me think that Rex isn't ready to be a headcoach just yet. Additionally, he made a lot of questionable decisions last year while our corners and best DE were hurt. he could have chilled out on the agressive blitzes a bit, but didn't and we often didn't have the coverage for that.

In any case, I wish the best for Rex and the Ravens, but I think letting him go to the deadskins is unnacceptable if Harbaugh and the rest of the FO team wants him still.
    I hate the Skins as much as anyone but could care less if Ryan ended up there.

Hell, Marvin Lewis went there for a year.

Talkin mess about the Ravens on TV?

You really think that's a factor or something to be worried about?

I'd rather have Ryan on another team then here and disgruntled after being passed over for the HC job and then blocked from pursuing another DC job.

PP

Yeah, I don't get this thing against him going to DC.

I could care less...we play them once every 4 years, I could see if he were going to a division rival...but that isn't happening.

If he wants to go, let him go.

There's a lot of weird threads and intricacies to this story...

1) No one in their right mind would rather work for Snyder than Bisciotti, I dont' care how badly he's hurt that he got passed over for our HC gig.

2) The Redskins are going through almost exactly the same thing with Gregg Williams. The players apparently love him and have been lobbying for him to be named head coach (sound familiar?).

3) Of course Harbaugh would want to keep Ryan. If he didn't he'd have spoken up by now. Or at least acknowledged that he's looking around. When things are good, you'd like continuity.

4) I'm sick of hearing how the inmates run the asylum and blah blah blah. That wasn't the problem last year. The lack of discipline on defense is 90% to do with playing too physical. It's those 5 yard auto first downs. Yeah, Ray needs to shut his mouth sometimes, same with Suggs and Scott, but if you think bringing in a new DC will shut those guys up, you're crazy.

I don't remember, but maybe someone on here does -

What was the situation when Mike Tomlin was hired with the Steelers? Eventually, he retained Dick LeBeau. Was there a lot of back and forth about ownership forcing LeBeau on him, etc, like we have here with Rex?

I can't believe that Rex would rather go to Washington. All he would have to do is call Mike Nolan or Marvin Lewis and ask about their experience there. Coaching for Danny-Boy is never the right idea, especially without someone like Joe Gibbs there as a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Harbaugh absolutely should be allowed to pick the DC he wants with no interference. It's apparent that the FO is forcing Ryan on him. I have a feeling they forced Cameron on him too.
    Such cynicism!

There are several significant reasons why Harbaugh might want, on his very own, to keep Ryan around.

1. They worked together in the past
    2. Ryan has been successful in the past with these players

I understand all this "clean break" talk, but we could do a lot worse then keeping Rex Ryan.

I just can't get over Jim Fassel getting serious consideration for a coaching position. I'm stuck at that.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.