Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: So what is the real story with Rex and the Ravens?

The owner said he hoped Rex would get the Atlanta job for the same reason they hoped Cavanaugh would get a gig- so they do not have to throw the coach on the street. I am sure they wish the best for Rex but he is obviously not head coach material. He interviewed last year for San Diego and has had several interviews this year. He looks destined to be a coordinator.

Re: So what is the real story with Rex and the Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by jburns View Post
    The owner said he hoped Rex would get the Atlanta job for the same reason they hoped Cavanaugh would get a gig- so they do not have to throw the coach on the street. I am sure they wish the best for Rex but he is obviously not head coach material. He interviewed last year for San Diego and has had several interviews this year. He looks destined to be a coordinator.
    There's something intangible about him that is scaring teams away from offering a HC gig. I mean, the Chargers felt better about hiring Norv Turner, for God's sake.

According to the Sun, Rex says he wants to come back to Baltimore. I guess he does now that all of his other options are closed!

Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    The only person that stated that they wanted RR back is Bisciotti. Oz has not commented. Harbaugh was about as non-committal on the subject as one could be.
    No, Harbaugh has also said he wants Ryan back - and it's IMO been more than just non-committal.

“I'm very hopeful that it works out,” Harbaugh said. “It's going to come down to what Rex wants to do. I know him, I trust him, I believe in him. I love the guy.”

“I think very highly of Rex,” Bisciotti said. “I talked to [Atlanta owner] Arthur Blank about Rex a half-hour ago [Saturday morning], and if Rex doesn't get the Atlanta job — I hope he does — then I hope he stays here.”

Bisciotti, however, said Harbaugh would have autonomy in selecting his staff.

http://205.209.52.72/a-1170456~Harba...an__Gansz.html
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Ryan says he wants to stay and hasn't spoken to other teams:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,5878649.story

5. Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

Harbaugh should be able to hire his own DC.

What short memories we have.

What will we do without Marvin Lewis??? Hire another coach and still have a great defense.
    What will we do without Mike Nolan??? Hire another coach and still have a great defense.
    What will we do without Rex Ryan??? Ditto.

Let the head coach choose and build his coaching staff and but out Pete,- ahem - I mean Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    I still really don't want him back and I also still believe he was part of the problems. I'm not at all convinced that Mr Whimsey wanting him back isn't just an appeasement to the defensive guys who lobbied so hard for him to be made HC. Especially if something I saw over on YBR about Ray knowing Billick was to be fired before anyone else in the organization is true. I think it was supposedly taken from the Sun but I'm always a bit suspecious of anything I read over there, still it's kind of in my head now.
    Conjecture, hearsay, speculation, not one morsel of known fact here! Ah, but go ahead, opine away!.... Sorry, looks like I am picking on you. I'm not. Yours was the last of these speculative posts I came to, and I decided to "quote" you. I feel the same about over half the posts in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjergs View Post
    Harbaugh should be able to hire his own DC.

Let the head coach choose and build his coaching staff and but out Pete,- ahem - I mean Steve.

Who says he isn't?

Bisciotti has said that Harbaugh can pick his own staff and Harbaugh has said he wants Ryan back.

Also, Rex has said that he and Harbaugh have talked every day since Harbaugh was hired.

Wink Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

No one here knows who wants Ryan back, or what was said in the HC interview process. I believe that the assumptions made by some fans that Bisciotti wants Ryan back, while Harbaugh may not, are incorrect. The subject of the DC, and Rex Ryan in particular, most logically would have come up in the process of interviewing Harbaugh. If Harbaugh were not fully on-board with the decision, there would be no overtures made by the Ravens to keep him.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    No one here knows who wants Ryan back, or what was said in the HC interview process. I believe that the assumptions made by some fans that Bisciotti wants Ryan back, while Harbaugh may not, are incorrect. The subject of the DC, and Rex Ryan in particular, most logically would have come up in the process of interviewing Harbaugh. If Harbaugh were not fully on-board with the decision, there would be no overtures made by the Ravens to keep him.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor
    Bisciotti has said that Harbaugh can pick his own staff and Harbaugh has said he wants Ryan back.

Also, Rex has said that he and Harbaugh have talked every day since Harbaugh was hired.
    If this is all true, then why is this issue still up in the air? If Harbaugh wants Rex and Rex wants to come back, why isn't this already a done deal?

I suspect this isn't as clear-cut as some of us are making it seem.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    If this is all true, then why is this issue still up in the air? If Harbaugh wants Rex and Rex wants to come back, why isn't this already a done deal?

In a non-word:

$$$

Rex probably wants some extra money in exchange for swallowing his pride, and he may get it. In our daily lives we routinely make decisions balancing what we want, with how much it costs (or how much we can make).

All we are seeing is business transactions, involving flesh and blood people with flesh and blood preferences and finances, played out on a scale much larger than our own similar transactions.

Secret motives and nefarious plots are not needed to make everything go slowly; in the real world decisions and negotiations like this can in fact take a couple of weeks.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post

Well, until yesterday, he still had a shot at the Atlanta job - however great or not - so nothing was going to get done until that was resolved.

Perhaps, he was taking his time waiting to see what interest their might be from other teams as far as a DC job goes? Maybe he saw what other interest did for Garrett. ;)

Or perhaps, he just wants his ego stroked a little with a little more money (or, perhaps, a lot more) to keep him here or maybe it took some time for them to pursuade him into staying?

That said, since he's under contract for next year, they technically don't have to do anything at all (although, I'm sure they will do some sweetening).

So, I'm sure it's not totally clear-cut, but that doesn't mean that Ryan is being foisted on Harbaugh against Harbaugh wishes (which is the point that I was responding to).
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-24-2008 at 04:41 PM.