Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Billick Remain OC Next Year?

It could be that Billick is the only one that can effectively run his own offense? Why hire an OC when it seems that Billick is doing fine calling the plays. The players seem to like having more access to Billick, so why break up that momentum by hiring an OC or giving the job to Slick Rick?

With the young offensive talent coming of age (and maybe a hope of adding OL depth and drafting a RB in the 1st round), Billick now has the talent to make the offense more complex.

I think Billick should just remain as the OC after this season, and even if he gets his contract extension.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Should Billick Remain OC Next Year?

To soon to make that call for me, out of his three games at the head of the offense we've had a couple good efforts and one potential clinker where it looked for all the world like we weren't ready to play when the game started. I want to see more effort consistently. I still worry about his unwillingness to sit "his guys" when they shoud be.

I believe BB has the right 'feel' for this offense, and personally would heartily endorse (and encourage) his return as OC next year!

I would be fine with Billick continuing to call the plays. They are 3-0 since he started the play calling. What's not to like about those results? The offense just looks more focused since Billick took over -- maybe it's just his presence in the game planning, not his actual play calls, but whatever it is, something is working.

I'd be fine with BB calling the plays next season. Highwater is right, the team seems to have some renewed energy and just is playing better now. Perhaps the players are playing harder because they now have input into the game plan. Like that old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Head Coach or nothing I suspect!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. maybe Neuheisel can be OC and run practices etc, and BB can still call the plays.
    it helps to have good assistants at D (Ryan) and spec teams (Gansz).
    I heard somewhere, BB is the only NFL head coach acting as OC, and Freidgen is the only college coach doing the same. howzat for conicidence?

We're 7-2. Whats next year?

I heard somewhere, BB is the only NFL head coach acting as OC, and Freidgen is the only college coach doing the same.
    That just isn't true. There are handful of pro coaches (Gruden for example)that double as OC's and quite a number of college head coaches call their offense (Spurrier for example).

As far as Brian staying on as our OC, I hope so. I at least hope he calls the gameday plays and continues to work with the players like his is now. Since he has taken over we went from 28th to 21st in just 3 weeks, scoring 35, 26, amd 27 points respectively. We have seen what 2 bad OCs did with Billick's system, maybe the Guru is the only one who knows how to run it well.

I don't think it would be a good idea for Billick to remain the OC for next year and beyond.

Do you realize how much time he has to put into being the OC right now? It takes time away from him being the "Head Coach" of the team. It may be working out this year, but that's this year. He took over as the OC position, because his job was on the line, and if he was going to go out, it was going to be that way.

I could see Rick Neuhisel being promoted to OC beginning next season assuming he doesn't get a head coaching job on the College level.. Neuhisel is seeing now, how Brian wants the offense run. He is seeing the organized and detailed meetings that Brian has with the offense, which seem to be successful.

It would be wise to see someone within the organization promoted to the OC next year, so that Billick can go back to his regular duties of managing the whole team and not just the offense.

There is no question:

Billick should never again give up his offensive coordinator status.

He is the offensive genius, he has really been showing it since taking over. Honestly, a big problem with our coaching staff was the severe amount of bloat as far as assistants go. We had far too many.

I feel that the fewer men between Billick and his offense, the better.

Well, OC he may never remain...but I think Billick calling the plays is working so far...if we go anywhere, you stick with what works.

Hope we can keep putting up points.

Anyone else notice that we're essentially a passing team now?