Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61
  1. #31

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?



    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens23 View Post
    He was given Derek Anderson.. didn't make the most out of that talent, did he?
    LMAO, could you imagine DA behind our o-line with our receivers? He's a jump ball thrower, and if receivers don't have seperation he'll throw it into triple coverage. Besides he was given Anderson and Ozzie took him away.




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Billick's name was floated as OC candidate with the 49ers, Rams, Redskins, etc. I think he was turning them down for a 1 year paid vacation. That way he gets rested, gets his duck in line, and is one of the top guys available next year.

    We all talk about John Harbaugh not so much being an offensive or defensive genius, but being a great motivator and leader. I think likewise of Billick. As an OC, he stunk. As a leader, he was better than he gets credit for. Yes, the message got stale and all things like that, but I think he still got most of the players to play better than they would've under other coaches. Harbaugh has similar qualities, so I think we'll see something good here.

    Billick will get a job somewhere else...could be in college, could be in NFL, but I don't see him never getting a coaching job again.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  3. #33

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Have you heard of the Skins, Falcons, or Dolphins even contacting Billick for an interview when they were doing their searches?
    No. But why would they? Did anyone contact Cowher heading into this year?

    If BB has *any* sense, he will take some time off the grind, and will come back on his terms. By most standards - winning seasons, playoff appearances, SB wins - he was a good coach, and will get attention when he throws his hat into the ring.

    Those of you who think 'high flying offense' is an important factor in deciding your next head coach, consider Exhibit A: Bill Belichick, HC for the Cleveland Browns. He turned out ok with his next gig, didn't he?
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    536

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    I think BIllick will get another offer when he's ready to come back. Right now, I'm sure he's still licking his wounds from this fiasco. I just hope he's as smart as Belichick was in making adjustments because Belichick was a total asshole in Cleveland and was universally disliked. What Billick needs to take away from this experience is to watch his back, forget about being a "players coach" because it won't help you, don't trust players or management because they will turn on you in a heartbeat.
    AZRAVEN

    [




  5. #35

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The guy was putting in minimal effort here as the OC. He shot himself in the foot, the offense was WAY better without him. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
    If a coach wasn't doing his job he should have been fired long before.
    Fassel ran billicks offense not his own.


    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    He went 7-9 with 19 rookies, an NFL record for any team. He had the team in post-season contention with all of those rookies, Chris Redman and Blake at QB and if not for a facemask not called in the C-choke game in week 16 he goes into week 17 needing a win for 9-7 and post-season.
    That 7-9 team was much more talented than the local and national media gave them credit for. We had 3 pro bowlers in '02 and 8 in '03 plus made the playoffs. I'm not buying billicks bluster of how bad the roster was after the cap purge. If you do that's fine. There was an infusion of young talent brought in buy Ozzie and the staff and the short turn around after the purge bears that out.

    Billick done some good things in Baltimore but I don't think his record is on par with the talent he had through out his tenure. If you do that's O.K.




  6. #36

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    For all of you Billick bashers please name one talented player that he didn't get the most out of?
    Not that I'm a Billick basher but he clearly didnt get the most out of Priest Holmes. In fact because he didnt get the most out of him they went out and spent a first round pick on Jamal.




  7. #37

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hook
    Not that I'm a Billick basher but he clearly didnt get the most out of Priest Holmes. In fact because he didnt get the most out of him they went out and spent a first round pick on Jamal.
    You're not a Billick basher, but you're saying that the Ravens felt obligated to draft Jamal in the first round because Billick wasn't utilizing Preist Holmes correctly?

    Here's a thought -- maybe they drafted Jamal in the first round because they thought he was the best player available. And I'd say that was a good decision.




  8. #38

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    You're not a Billick basher, but you're saying that the Ravens felt obligated to draft Jamal in the first round because Billick wasn't utilizing Preist Holmes correctly?
    Somebody asked if there was any player who was under billick who he didnt get the most out of. Clearly it was priest. Are you following along with this thread? And Do you know the stats on Priest since he had left Baltimore? Heres a news flash for you the guy was a stud in KC.

    Here's a thought -- maybe they drafted Jamal in the first round because they thought he was the best player available. And I'd say that was a good decision.
    I'm not saying Jamal wasnt a good pick up. I like Jamal too, but I'm certain you'll tell me I dont. True Priest was let go because of Salary Cap reasons but had they not gone after Jamal and used the services of Holmes We could have gone after a better player in that draft.




  9. #39

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Somebody asked if there was any player who was under billick who he didnt get the most out of. Clearly it was priest. Are you following along with this thread? And Do you know the stats on Priest since he had left Baltimore? Heres a news flash for you the guy was a stud in KC.


    I'm not saying Jamal wasnt a good pick up. I like Jamal too, but I'm certain you'll tell me I dont. True Priest was let go because of Salary Cap reasons but had they not gone after Jamal and used the services of Holmes We could have gone after a better player.
    This is ridiculous.

    How did Billick not get the most out of Holmes when he was here?

    Billick came here in 1999. Holmes missed alot of that season with injuries. When he did play he produced.

    Ozzie Newsome went out and spent the 5th overall pick on Jamal and the rest is history. When Jamal was hurt (game 1 of the 2000 season) Holmes carried the load and had a great game.

    Jamal Lewis was an absolute freak when he came into this league. No coach would've played Holmes over him.

    So let me get this straight. Brian Billick becomes the HC of the Ravens in 99. Holmes is banged up but when healthy is productive. Then the GENERAL MANAGER of the team drafted Jamal Lewis in the 1st round and that's somehow Billick not getting enough out of Holmes?

    Had they not gone after Lewis and used the services of Holmes? This is Billick's fault? He had use of Holmes for a half a season and then we drafted Lewis. Am I missing something here?

    And I also like how you fail to mention that the Chiefs had the best OL in the league when Holmes signed there. It's no coincidence that Larry Johnson had ridiculous success when he replaced Holmes.

    But yea, it's Billick's fault.

    If you wanna blame anyone, blame Ozzie Newsome. He drafted Jamal Lewis.

    PP




  10. #40

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Ok dont agree but Take it easy Purplepoe, its not that serious.

    Priest never played here at the level he had played in KC. Thats a fact. There were flashes of it. But if You want to go on about this whole Ozzie and Billick thing, fine, thats been your game the past few weeks. I'm not getting caught in that. I have no beef with Billick or Ozzie, but Billick didnt get the most out of Priest the way the chiefs did. Thats a fact, stat wise. I'm sure most of you will just write off all the TDs he scored with KC - forget about the yards and receptions.




  11. #41

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Ok dont agree but Take it easy Purplepoe, its not that serious.

    Priest never played here at the level he had played in KC. Thats a fact. There were flashes of it. But if You want to go on about this whole Ozzie and Billick thing, fine, thats been your game the past few weeks. I'm not getting caught in that. I have no beef with Billick or Ozzie, but Billick didnt get the most out of Priest the way the chiefs did. Thats a fact, stat wise. I'm sure most of you will just write off all the TDs he scored with KC - forget about the yards and receptions.
    What should Billick have done differently?

    He used him in 99 when he was healthy and he produced.

    The team drafted Jamal Lewis in 2000 and he went on rush for over 1200 yds and we won the SB.

    Then Holmes moved on the Chiefs.

    Your contention is that somehow Billick not getting the most out of Holmes resulting in us taking Jamal #5 overall instead of using it on another player/position.

    Once again, he became the coach in 1999. Holmes was injured for much of that year. We drafted Jamal in 2000.

    Please explain to me how Billick's inability to get the most out of Holmes 1)resulted in us spending a high pick on Jamal and 2) has anything to do with what he did in KC.

    And stop with your "I know what you're gonna say" crap.

    Holmes was fantastic in KC and I haven't nor will I take anything away from his accomplishments.

    The facts are Billick coached a healthy Holmes for half a season and then we drafted Lewis. Lewis was a very productive back that was the workhorse on a Super Bowl winning team. Holmes complemented him nicely and then moved on to another team because he wanted to start and knew he wouldn't here for numerous reasons. The team wanted him but couldn't because of the cap.

    Those are the facts.

    You haven't once addressed what Billick did when you claim he didn't get the most out of Holmes.

    PP




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    I still don't get how Fassel became the toast of DC overnight? The guy has been out of a job for a year and a half. He's 58-53-1 lifetime, which is a winning record, but isn't all that great. He's the biggest NAME available that can make a splash, which is what Danny wants, but I don't see how they can view him being the best guy to replace Gibbs. I don't remember if Fassel was a disciplinary type coach, or a players' friend type coach, but I can't see a disciplinarian coming into DC and making that team any better than it was. Only real asset I see him bringing to DC is his ability to develop QBs, which we can certainly argue against, given that the QBs he coached here were Boller, Wright, etc.

    The rumour right now regarding Gregg Williams is he said something negative about Gibbs in his interview, which apparently buys you a one way ticket out of DC. So, Jim "Fossil", if you really want the job, just kiss Joe Gibbs' ass, and that should win you the job. I think their best move right now is to bring in Jim Schwartz, who is a local guy, really bright, and would do wonders to a defense that will probably be in free fall this year.

    But, I'd be happy with them blowing their next few years by hiring the Fossil
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  13. #43

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Your responses are quite comical, the fact that you take such offense to this is amusing. But regardless, It seems as though the staff in KC understood the talent they had in priest and used him to his FULLEST POTENTIAL but billick's staff didn't. That was the original question in the first place. ONE player was named. Dont get huffy because the player named became a legend playing somewhere else.

    And stop with your "I know what you're gonna say" crap.
    of course you want me to stop with that. Why would you want the stats and TD production ruin your side of the debate.


    What should Billick have done differently?
    How about trying to use priest to score a few TDs during the TD drought, Vermeil and company found a way to get Priest the ball for a very long time.




  14. #44

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Your responses are quite comical, the fact that you take such offense to this is amusing. But regardless, It seems as though the staff in KC understood the talent they had in priest and used him to his FULLEST POTENTIAL but billick's staff didn't. That was the original question in the first place. ONE player was named. Dont get huffy because the player named became a legend playing somewhere else.


    of course you want me to stop with that. Why would you want the stats and TD production ruin your side of the debate.



    How about trying to use priest to score a few TDs during the TD drought, Vermeil and company found a way to get Priest the ball for a very long time.
    Im glad Priest Holmes succeeded in KC.

    The guy worked hard and deserved it.

    The fact that you seem to equate the drafting of Jamal Lewis with Brian Billick not using Holmes adequately for the half a season he had to work with him in 1999 is amusing.

    You can have the last word.

    I've made my points known.

    PP




  15. #45

    Re: Jim Fassel front runner for Skins job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Not that I'm a Billick basher but he clearly didnt get the most out of Priest Holmes. In fact because he didnt get the most out of him they went out and spent a first round pick on Jamal.
    Ozzie said that Priest was the 5th best back in the AFC Central. Priest clearly wasn't in the Ravens plans when Billick was hired.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland