Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting note from NST on QBs

I am not sure what is going to happen, but Harbaugh referenced that they are “shoulder deep” in the quarterback situation. Now could that mean that we are going to see the same three guys next year, could they be drafting a quarterback, or could someone in the league be coming to Baltimore ? There is some buzz that a certain quarterback that is on a playoff team could be looking to go some were where he can have a legit chance to start. I am not saying that it is going to happen or if this player does leave that he could be coming here, but there is some buzz.
    Any idea who he might mean there? Rodgers? Cassell? Quinn Gray?

I don't know about any of those guys coming here, but Gray is an intriguing name at the least.

Re: Interesting note from NST on QBs

Billy Volek?

Jim Sorgi?

I think it would have to be Rodgers.

What would you give up for Rodgers if in fact he was looking to get out of Green Bay?

Certainly nothing high. Maybe a 6th round pick or something. He hasn't really shown much, and we all know the Tedford QB lineage..

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Certainly nothing high. Maybe a 6th round pick or something. He hasn't really shown much, and we all know the Tedford QB lineage..
    Pretty unfair assessment given he hasn't even thrown 60 career passes; not to mention completely untrue given how he almost brought the Packers back against the Cowboys. He looked terrific in that game.

You'll never in a million years get a former 1st round QB who hasn't had a chance to start for a 6th round pick. A guy like Boller who's been shown to be nothing more than a backup/journeyman...you can get him for a 6th. A guy like Rodgers probably goes for a 2nd, maybe a 3rd and lower round pick.

I'm not sure that I care enough about getting anyone currently in the league at this point. How many teams with great QBs got them from somewhere else vs. grooming their own?

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Pretty unfair assessment given he hasn't even thrown 60 career passes; not to mention completely untrue given how he almost brought the Packers back against the Cowboys. He looked terrific in that game.

You'll never in a million years get a former 1st round QB who hasn't had a chance to start for a 6th round pick. A guy like Boller who's been shown to be nothing more than a backup/journeyman...you can get him for a 6th. A guy like Rodgers probably goes for a 2nd, maybe a 3rd and lower round pick.

I'm not sure that I care enough about getting anyone currently in the league at this point. How many teams with great QBs got them from somewhere else vs. grooming their own?

- C -
    The point is - we haven't seen but one game from him. I certainly wouldn't spend a 3rd, much less a 2nd on a guy like that. Yet, anyway.

I'm not trashing WNST for this report, but this sounds like pure speculation.

There is some buzz that a certain quarterback that is on a playoff team could be looking to go some were where he can have a legit chance to start.

"Some buzz?" I'll believe it when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    The point is - we haven't seen but one game from him. I certainly wouldn't spend a 3rd, much less a 2nd on a guy like that. Yet, anyway.
    I get what you mean by it, but the more important point is that this guy is a 1st rounder who hasn't had the chance to show anything. By the logic you stated, you'd never spend a 1st round pick on anyone.

If you could get a first round QB who's a raw rookie that's never seen any time in the NFL, or you could get a first rounder who's had three years to be groomed under one of the best ever, you'd be nuts to take the former.

Obviously there are other factors at play. Rodgers wasn't thought to be as talented as say Matt Ryan. Still, the Packers wouldn't be off-base at all to ask for a first rounder for him. The only reason we might be able to get away with giving them a second is cause we pick high.

Quote Originally Posted by POPSinPA View Post
    Joe Montanna and Brett Favre come to mind right off, but i'm sure there others.
    You mean Steve Young, and I'm talking about these days where player movement is more limitted to FA. You're right about those two, and there are others of course. But the point is that a vast majority don't wind up moving at all if there's real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    Out of that bunch I like Matt Cassell only because he has learned from the best.And has played well in preseason.

The same is not true of Jim Sorgi,everytime I see this guy come on,he looks like he has a white flag waving above his shoulder.
    First off, it makes no sense to say you want Brady's backup cause he's learned from the best, but not Manning's backup. Second, I don't know why you say what you do. Cassell has looked terrible in his regular season action, Sorgi has looked quite competent (reference his 90+ QB rating). Preseason > regular season?

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Joe Montanna and Brett Favre come to mind right off, but i'm sure there others.

Hopefully, Harbaugh and staff will study films of our offense, see that it plays well when pass protection is decent, and realize our biggest holes are at cornerback and on defensive line, which doesn't pressure QBs.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Hopefully, Harbaugh and staff will study films of our offense, see that it plays well when pass protection is decent, and realize our biggest holes are at cornerback and on defensive line, which doesn't pressure QBs.
    lol