Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Corporate Brain Trust Gets Slam Dunked

The Ravens??

I think the Cowboys look a bit dysfunctional now. You got an owner telling the OC he'll pay him anything to stay cuz he his next head coach. But they already have a head coach. Doesnt that cause a bit of a problem at meetings and running a team??? I mean wade philips now seems like a man with a short rope, dotn screw up cuz you know is going to take your job, and im sure wade is wondering, how about some $ for your head coach?? should be an interesting season for them next year.

I dont see this is a shot at the ravens, marty and cowherd obviously dont want to coach anywhere, so garret was thier guy, he said no, so now it looks like harbaugh.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Re: Corporate Brain Trust Gets Slam Dunked

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996
    I think the Cowboys look a bit dysfunctional now. You got an owner telling the OC he'll pay him anything to stay cuz he his next head coach. But they already have a head coach. Doesnt that cause a bit of a problem at meetings and running a team???
    I think that's a valid point. According to something I read today, Garrett is getting a raise that will apparently result in him having a higher salary than Wade Phillips. That's got to look a little strange to the players, when your OC is making more than your HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Personally, I think the PR hit goes to Jason Garrett, not the Baltimore Ravens. He comes out of it looking like the sleazy guy who just wants a payday.
    EXTREMELY TRUE!!

Now we just sit back and watch the Karma take place with Jason Garrett, Jerry Jones and the cowboys. What goes around comes around!! I say there will be a coaching "controversy" in Dallas as their current coach watches over his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Could not disagree more.

Garrett and JJ look like the fools on this one. We went after Garrett in an honest way and now, it would seem, he had no real intention of coming here or anywhere. He thumbed his nose at us after pretending he was interested. That's a reflection of him, not a reflection on the team or any PR move.

Someone on ESPN (I forget who but Greg quoted him in another post) agrees. Garrett is looking very foolish right now. I guess you can make an arguement we have egg on our face since the offer "leaked" but even then, Garrett looks like a wishy-washy youngin, simply trying to up his pay with JJ. We're still in excellent shape in finding a top-knotch coach -- Marty, Harbaugh, etc.

By the way, your last sentence has to be the biggest run-on sentence I've ever seen posted on these borards! ;)

I thought at first the Ravens would take a PR hit here but the more I read and hear, I don't think Garrett ever intended to leave Dallas. Why should he? 3 million $, head coach opportunity within two years and longevity with an organization now going on 15+ years. They are young with a new stadium coming there way and cash to spend. It would be hard to leave that even for the Patriots let alone the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Could not disagree more.

Garrett and JJ look like the fools on this one. We went after Garrett in an honest way and now, it would seem, he had no real intention of coming here or anywhere. He thumbed his nose at us after pretending he was interested. That's a reflection of him, not a reflection on the team or any PR move.

Someone on ESPN (I forget who but Greg quoted him in another post) agrees. Garrett is looking very foolish right now. I guess you can make an arguement we have egg on our face since the offer "leaked" but even then, Garrett looks like a wishy-washy youngin, simply trying to up his pay with JJ. We're still in excellent shape in finding a top-knotch coach -- Marty, Harbaugh, etc.

By the way, your last sentence has to be the biggest run-on sentence I've ever seen posted on these borards! ;)
    I'd love to look foolish making 3 million a year as an assistant head coach and in line to be the next head coach in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBone View Post
    I'd love to look foolish making 3 million a year as an assistant head coach and in line to be the next head coach in Dallas.
    I know, right? I fail to see how you can look foolish makign mroe money as an OC then most HC's make? He reportedly signed for $3.5-$4m/yr to remain in Dallas. Let's not act like the Dallas job isn't better... and it's his, soon!

If anyone looks foolish it's JJ for giveing Phillips the vote of confidence to remain HC.

7. Re: Corporate Brain Trust Gets Slam Dunked

what happens if the cowboys do real well for a few years and wade philips holds on to the job..garrett might have missed his chance.

Or what about the opposite, what if the cowboys tank it the next year or two and their Offense is to blame....and garrett is is the OC.....can you really make him your next head coach then????
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

You guys are serious, aren't you?

Here's how this looks:

Jason Garrett - Smart businessman, able to "strike while the iron is hot". He was able to get a monster deal as a coordinator with some likely reassurances that he'll be the next head coach of the Cowboys. He gets the money of a head coach without the responsibility. Sleazy? No, not really; I don't think he had absolutely no interest in the head coaching positions offered to him. In the end he decided that he was better off staying with 13-3 Dallas, a team with an emerging star at QB and a lot of talent all around. Kudos to him.

Jerry Jones - Reinforces his own reputation as a man willing to spend any amount of money to get what he wants. That may hurt the Cowboys when dealing with free agents and contract extensions and draft picks, but it sends a positive message to the fanbase: winning comes before money. Plus, he "won", in that he gets to keep Garrett, a guy everyone else wanted. The Cowboys will be better off for having continuity at OC and if the situation provides any distraction for the team and they wind up slipping, it gives him all the excuse he needs to oust Phillips for Garrett.

Bisciotti and the Ravens - Unable to get the guy they wanted despite a respectable offer in monetary terms. I don't think that's shameful in and of itself, but I've yet to hear any good things about the other guys on our list. Hire Marty and a lot of the veterans might revolt, leading to a purge (not necessarily the worst outcome, but not pleasant either). Hire Harbaugh and we look like we're settling for the "next-best" of the young coaches on their way up, and that's if you don't count the guys who declined to interview.

None of this is particularly shameful, but here's what is: we fired Brian Billick for this. This wasn't Petrino bailing on the Falcons or the Raiders recovering from the Art Shell debacle or anything like that. We ended up firing a guy with a far stronger resume than anyone left in the hunt to replace him. A Super Bowl winner traded in for either a secondary coach or a guy who got himself fired after going 14-2? I agree that Billick's tenure here was outliving its usefulness and a new direction was needed, but honestly, that implies that we know what the new direction is. Right now we appear directionless.

It's not that I think Harbaugh or Schottenheimer would be an abysmal choice; it's that bringing in someone without a measure of respectability already established, combined with intense fan and player pressure to win now rather than rebuild for a few years from now, will put a bullseye on the new hire's back. Bring in a Bill Cowher type and you know you have a coach who can get the most out of your team, the kind a team will rally around. Bring in a Jason Garrett type and you know you have a coach that everyone coveted, but someone with the built-in expectation of needing seasoning in the head role; expectations will be tempered around that. Maybe the same will apply to Harbaugh, I don't know. But if we do wind up with Marty Schottenheimer and we don't win a playoff game in his first year, the calls for his ouster will be magnified tenfold. I look at our roster and think that our chances of a run next year under any of our current QBs are slim; the best we can reasonably hope for is to draft a top QB and hope he's ready to take over by year two of his time here. We don't have the cap space to repeat the McNair move with a QB like Donovan McNabb, so why bring in Schottenheimer and tell him to win with Boller or Smith?

My recommendation to the Ravens right now is simple: bring in Mike Singletary for an interview and if after the interview the choice is anywhere close, offer him the job. He's a former Raven coach who the players will respect and follow in spite of his inexperience. With a solid offensive coordinator (and there are several out of work right now), we may be able to fix some of our offensive woes. Further, Mike Singletary is the only candidate out there who would reasonably bring back Rex Ryan at DC. I don't think Rex Ryan as head coach will change anything, but I do think that Rex Ryan will be perceived as a popular in-house player-favorite threat to anyone who isn't already a popular in-house player-favorite, like, say, Mike Singletary.

This would give us a new offensive system while retaining continuity on defense, and would give us a "big name" hire who commands respect from veterans and rookies alike. He would get the benefit of being a new head coach in that he's not likely to get a quick hook even if we struggle, but he won't get the new head coach penalty of having to win over the team veterans in order to lead the team. And with the right assistants, he would be able to focus on leading the team rather than running the offense or defense.

Plus, because he wasn't in our initial round of interviews, he would give our front office an added spin to the situation. "We brought in a bunch of guys and chose Jason Garrett, and he declined; we re-opened our search and Mike Singletary just blew us away. It was our mistake not to include him the first time." Left unspoken? That Singletary would have been the choice all along. Truth, or spin? Who would know?

Is Mike Singletary the best coach for the job? I don't know, I'm not interviewing him or any of these others. And if the front office really believes that Harbaugh or another guy would make a better coach, then public perception be damned. But if they want to emerge from this debacle with a lot of factors moving in their favor, hiring Mike Singletary may be their best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Further, Mike Singletary is the only candidate out there who would reasonably bring back Rex Ryan at DC. I don't think Rex Ryan as head coach will change anything, but I do think that Rex Ryan will be perceived as a popular in-house player-favorite threat to anyone who isn't already a popular in-house player-favorite, like, say, Mike Singletary.
    OR Rex would be insulted if Singletary got the gig and would go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    You guys are serious, aren't you?

Here's how this looks:

Jason Garrett - Smart businessman, able to "strike while the iron is hot". He was able to get a monster deal as a coordinator with some likely reassurances that he'll be the next head coach of the Cowboys. He gets the money of a head coach without the responsibility. Sleazy? No, not really; I don't think he had absolutely no interest in the head coaching positions offered to him. In the end he decided that he was better off staying with 13-3 Dallas, a team with an emerging star at QB and a lot of talent all around. Kudos to him.

Jerry Jones - Reinforces his own reputation as a man willing to spend any amount of money to get what he wants. That may hurt the Cowboys when dealing with free agents and contract extensions and draft picks, but it sends a positive message to the fanbase: winning comes before money. Plus, he "won", in that he gets to keep Garrett, a guy everyone else wanted. The Cowboys will be better off for having continuity at OC and if the situation provides any distraction for the team and they wind up slipping, it gives him all the excuse he needs to oust Phillips for Garrett.

Bisciotti and the Ravens - Unable to get the guy they wanted despite a respectable offer in monetary terms. I don't think that's shameful in and of itself, but I've yet to hear any good things about the other guys on our list. Hire Marty and a lot of the veterans might revolt, leading to a purge (not necessarily the worst outcome, but not pleasant either). Hire Harbaugh and we look like we're settling for the "next-best" of the young coaches on their way up, and that's if you don't count the guys who declined to interview.

None of this is particularly shameful, but here's what is: we fired Brian Billick for this. This wasn't Petrino bailing on the Falcons or the Raiders recovering from the Art Shell debacle or anything like that. We ended up firing a guy with a far stronger resume than anyone left in the hunt to replace him. A Super Bowl winner traded in for either a secondary coach or a guy who got himself fired after going 14-2? I agree that Billick's tenure here was outliving its usefulness and a new direction was needed, but honestly, that implies that we know what the new direction is. Right now we appear directionless.

It's not that I think Harbaugh or Schottenheimer would be an abysmal choice; it's that bringing in someone without a measure of respectability already established, combined with intense fan and player pressure to win now rather than rebuild for a few years from now, will put a bullseye on the new hire's back. Bring in a Bill Cowher type and you know you have a coach who can get the most out of your team, the kind a team will rally around. Bring in a Jason Garrett type and you know you have a coach that everyone coveted, but someone with the built-in expectation of needing seasoning in the head role; expectations will be tempered around that. Maybe the same will apply to Harbaugh, I don't know. But if we do wind up with Marty Schottenheimer and we don't win a playoff game in his first year, the calls for his ouster will be magnified tenfold. I look at our roster and think that our chances of a run next year under any of our current QBs are slim; the best we can reasonably hope for is to draft a top QB and hope he's ready to take over by year two of his time here. We don't have the cap space to repeat the McNair move with a QB like Donovan McNabb, so why bring in Schottenheimer and tell him to win with Boller or Smith?

My recommendation to the Ravens right now is simple: bring in Mike Singletary for an interview and if after the interview the choice is anywhere close, offer him the job. He's a former Raven coach who the players will respect and follow in spite of his inexperience. With a solid offensive coordinator (and there are several out of work right now), we may be able to fix some of our offensive woes. Further, Mike Singletary is the only candidate out there who would reasonably bring back Rex Ryan at DC. I don't think Rex Ryan as head coach will change anything, but I do think that Rex Ryan will be perceived as a popular in-house player-favorite threat to anyone who isn't already a popular in-house player-favorite, like, say, Mike Singletary.

This would give us a new offensive system while retaining continuity on defense, and would give us a "big name" hire who commands respect from veterans and rookies alike. He would get the benefit of being a new head coach in that he's not likely to get a quick hook even if we struggle, but he won't get the new head coach penalty of having to win over the team veterans in order to lead the team. And with the right assistants, he would be able to focus on leading the team rather than running the offense or defense.

Plus, because he wasn't in our initial round of interviews, he would give our front office an added spin to the situation. "We brought in a bunch of guys and chose Jason Garrett, and he declined; we re-opened our search and Mike Singletary just blew us away. It was our mistake not to include him the first time." Left unspoken? That Singletary would have been the choice all along. Truth, or spin? Who would know?

Is Mike Singletary the best coach for the job? I don't know, I'm not interviewing him or any of these others. And if the front office really believes that Harbaugh or another guy would make a better coach, then public perception be damned. But if they want to emerge from this debacle with a lot of factors moving in their favor, hiring Mike Singletary may be their best course of action.
    First off I don't think there is any situation where Ryan returns except as the HC.

As for Singletary.

Aaron Wilson was talking about him yesterday and mentioned a few things about him.

One was that he's perceived as a great motivator but is lacking in the actual coaching category.

But what he really harped on was Singletary's deep religious beliefs.

Apparently he wears them on his sleeve and is very forward about it. Wilson intimated that this could be a factor that scares off teams. Let's face it, it's been a divider in this locker room before (see Next Man Up) and it's a very touchy subject to get involved with.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    First off I don't think there is any situation where Ryan returns except as the HC.
    The only other scenario I could see Ryan returning other then being a head coach if it's being a DC under somebody like Marty or maybe Cowher.

And that would have to be by their choice.

Cowher is pretty much a non factor unless the front office can pull a rabbit out of their ass with this one.-Doubtful at best.

There's no way Ryan would return working under one of these young up and coming guys with less experience then he has.

With Marty there's a respect factor built in here due to his long tenure and record as a head coach in the NFL.

I don't think you lose face by working under somebody with Martys credentials and experience.

Playoff record and disappointments aside, the dude wins more then he loses.

I think the post season stuff is made a bigger deal by the fans and media more so then in NFL circles.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

the only one's looking like fools are some Ravens fans!

Chill out and be patient!!
    "Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos