Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Are You Concerned?!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Be careful Houston.

Billick was fired. Cowher walked away.

There's a big difference there. Bisciotti terminated Billick's contract. The Steelers did no such thing to Cowher's. He still has one year left on his deal that he hasn't fulfilled. There might have been an agreement between Cowher and the Steelers about not needing permission to talk to other teams. Sometimes a team will waive their rights if the coach agrees to not coach for a certain amount of time.

Im not an expert but Im pretty sure that the Steelers have the right to and could ask for compensation from a team that wants to sign Cowher to a contract. Billick? He's free and clear because he didn't resign, he was fired.

PP
    Im pretty sure (80%) that Im right on this.

Sure, a pay out is in order should Cowher take another job but I dont think that means permission is needed. I believe the wording is "active coaches" with no mention of how that coach became inactive.

I will check with my "sources" and get back to ya! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Im pretty sure (80%) that Im right on this.

Sure, a pay out is in order should Cowher take another job but I dont think that means permission is needed. I believe the wording is "active coaches" with no mention of how that coach became inactive.

I will check with my "sources" and get back to ya! ;)
    See what you find.

Im actually interested in finding out now.

Noting much has been said regarding permission or compensation.

I wonder if the Steelers would demand compensation and how much they would ask for. Could you imagine if they asked for something astronomical like two 1st round picks. Can they even ask for something that outlandish?

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    See what you find.

Im actually interested in finding out now.

Noting much has been said regarding permission or compensation.

I wonder if the Steelers would demand compensation and how much they would ask for. Could you imagine if they asked for something astronomical like two 1st round picks. Can they even ask for something that outlandish?

PP
    I think they would be confined to the contract. If two draft picks are in the contract, then yeah, they will get that as compensation.

But like I have been saying, I really dont see any way Cowher coaches this year -- unless Danny Boy or Bisciotti shows up in SC with sack full of cash ($10+ Million) and he cant say no.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Actually, Cowher said he isn't coaching in 2008. He didn't say he isn't coaching in Baltimore in 2008.

As the Godfather said, as I swear on my son's (Santino's) grave, this truce will not be broken by me. He was right, it wasn't. It was broken by his son, Michael, and with his plan. He was dead.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Actually, Cowher said that "I have no plans to coach in 2008", not that "I will not coach in 2008".

One could read between the lines there.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard
    Actually, Cowher said that "I have no plans to coach in 2008", not that "I will not coach in 2008".

One could read between the lines there.
    I think we're probably reading too much between the lines with Cowher. He has said consistently that he isn't planning on coaching next season, but of course he could always change his mind. I actually think that he will sit out next season, but if he changes his mind, it wouldn't exactly be a crime. He can say whatever he wants -- the guy's not on trial. He doesn't need to choose his words that carefully.

My Bisciotti-esque "gut feeling" is that he really will sit the season out.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    It's only been 10 days since Billick was fired. While some of the candidates they've brought in have been somewhat of a head-scratcher (B. Schottenheimer), it's still very early. I wouldn't expect an announcement until after the Super Bowl.

What I'm concerned about is that Cowher, in todays Sun article, says no one from Baltimore has contacted him about the job. I know he's denied wanting to coach in 08, but shouldn't they at least contact his agent to try to throw some money his way to change his mind?
    And you believe everything you read?

Nick Saban hadn't talked to Alabama, either.

Two or three coaches go back on their word and all of a sudden every coach is suspect.

Get real. While people choose to ONLY read into the "plans" comment, I choose to look at ALL the things he has said. The man is a family man and doesnt want to uproot his kid. Period.

There have been no talks with the Ravens. No talks with the Skins. No talk with the Falcons or Dolphins. Not one rumor. Yet some here think they are Deepthroat with their reasonings.

Come on people. Cowher is not a Saban or Petrino. He has oodles of cash, doesnt need to come back and wants to keep his kid stable. Anything else then that is 100% uninformed speculation.