Both Ryans' Without Jobs?

ESPN reported that Rob Ryan was fired as the DC with the Oakland Raiders.

They were ranked 3rd in total defense last year and fell all the way down to 22nd this year... wow....

While is may be safe to say that Rex may possibly get a HC position this offseason (Ravens were ranked 6th in total defense this year, I thought we would have slipped higher due to all of the big plays we gave up and the depleted personnel), I wonder if Rob will get another job as a cooridinator anytime soon?

What is the likelihood that, if Rex gets a HC job, would he hire his own brother as the DC? Just a thought
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Both Ryans' Without Jobs?

First off, I heard on ESPN 1300 last night, Rob Ryan will likely become the DC of the NYJ, it's practically lined up for that.

But I don't think Rex would, just because it would lead to awkward situations. I work with my brother, and even though it's nice, it does cause conflict sometimes when we have a work issue we disagree on, but at the same time, we're family so it can be hard to dissent. And neither of us reports to the other. If Rex hired Rob, Rob would be reporting to him.

I guess in the end, it just depends on whether Rex feels he's the best DC available.

I would really like to see Rex get the chance to coach out team.

I think that Rex will remain our DC. There are few job openings, and I don't think he will be the one getting the Ravens job. We need a change, and that means a guy from outside the organization. I really don't think he will be going to Atlanta or Miami either.

Blog Entries

One thing that makes this interesting is that Ryan is technically unemployed, because the entire coaching staff was dismissed.

If Ryan doesn't get our HC gig, unless we put a deal in place with him that he becomes HC in a few years or else we pay him 5-10 mil to walk, I think he'll go be HC or DC somewhere else where he will have a chance to be HC in a few years. Unless we give him an assistant HC gig along with DC, I can't see him coming back in the same capacity when he obviously wants to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79
    I think that Rex will remain our DC. There are few job openings, and I don't think he will be the one getting the Ravens job. We need a change, and that means a guy from outside the organization. I really don't think he will be going to Atlanta or Miami either.
    I agree that he probably will not be the next HC, but I'm not convinced that he will be back as DC. That will obviously be up to whoever the next HC is. He might want to bring in his own guy. The FO seems to want a major change, so they might not want him back either.

After all, they did just fire him.

I think they fired him because they wanted to eviscerate the entire coaching staff. This way the HC (who ever is will be) will have his say (assuming the Biscuit is happy) on his staff.

I'm bummed about Rex not with us (for now) but on the whole it makes sense.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!