Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Steve B

  1. #46

    Re: Steve B



    I have been reading message boards for the last 3 days including the blogs at WNST. The media and everyone is disecting this as though everyone needed 3 weeks advance notice to make a decision about their head coach. The media as a whole feels it is their God given right to know every move the Ravens make. Wrong! Jay Glazier uncovered the story starting on Sunday and the local media didn't have a clue.

    The Ravens gave assurances to Billick because they had 3 games to play and they wanted the players to play hard. I believe that a person who owns a business has a right to change their mind. Maybe something else transpired that convinced him to fire Billick. I was surprised because I sincerely thought that there was no way Bisciotti would eat Billick's contract. I was wrong.

    We will never know the truth behind the firing or the exact timeline of Bisciotti's thinking. None of us really know this man. There are too many parties involved. But I will not think less of Bisciotti for making this decision or the way he made it because it is his business and he can run it the way he wants. It is very evident to me he wants to win now and he is willing to gamble away Billick for someone who he feels gives us a better chance to win.

    I support the change and look forward to the 2008 season.




  2. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,496

    Re: Steve B

    Jesus Christ, people.

    The Setting Sun has been nit-picking every aspect of the team, leading to wild and outlandish conclusions and now here we are as fans, doing the exact same thing we hate the Sun for.

    Bisciotti was contrite, emotional and yes, unprepared. He basically admitted such since this was him changing his mind.

    For ALL of those who think this was some sort of back handed snub or unprofessional firing, simply go to the Ravens web site and read Brian's statement for crying out loud!

    NONE of you making these wild conclusions have ANY fact. None. How about looking at this one for what it is -- a friend had to fire another friend who has been in all of our lives for 9 years.

    Any other conclusion is guessing.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. Re: Steve B

    For one, The Ravens nor Biscotti made any comments that Billick was his man and was staying this season. Billick made the comment that he would be back but The ravens or steve never confirmed this. There was no back and forth from steve. The MEDIA made those comments of "sources" saying billick was safe, and blah this and that.

    Steve said himself he made the final decision that morning, so yes the press conference looked a little jumbled because IT WAS just thrown together a few moments before then, who cares. He was there to only state billick has been fired and they are searching for a new head coach. He said that, and thats all we got from it.

    he even stated at the begining he has fired alot of people, but never had to discuss in public the reasons why he did, or be confronted by the world why. In most businesses, thats the way it is, behing closed doors. So yeah it was uncomrotable to fire your friend and then have to talk about it to everyone.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com




  4. #49

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    For one, The Ravens nor Biscotti made any comments that Billick was his man and was staying this season. Billick made the comment that he would be back but The ravens or steve never confirmed this. There was no back and forth from steve. The MEDIA made those comments of "sources" saying billick was safe, and blah this and that.
    Incorrect. For a time there was a blog entry on the Ravens' own website about Billick returning next year, and the reason it was widely reported in the media is because Kevin Byrne was the person *telling* them, if you believe DF, and I certainly have no reason to doubt him.

    And the press person would not have told the media the coach was returning if there had not been some confirmation from the ownership side.

    I am not ruling out (a) Bisciotti changing his mind or (b) Bisciotti successfully deceiving almost everybody, including *very* high ranking officials in the organization, for a time. In fact I think one of those two is the case.

    But Bisciotti *absolutely* got word out, through official channels, that Billick would be returning next year.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  5. #50

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Incorrect. For a time there was a blog entry on the Ravens' own website about Billick returning next year, and the reason it was widely reported in the media is because Kevin Byrne was the person *telling* them, if you believe DF, and I certainly have no reason to doubt him.

    And the press person would not have told the media the coach was returning if there had not been some confirmation from the ownership side.

    I am not ruling out (a) Bisciotti changing his mind or (b) Bisciotti successfully deceiving almost everybody, including *very* high ranking officials in the organization, for a time. In fact I think one of those two is the case.

    But Bisciotti *absolutely* got word out, through official channels, that Billick would be returning next year.
    Exactly.

    I dunno where some people come up with the idea that Billick wasn't told by Bisciotti he was coming back. Like Festivus said, it was on the teams' website. This wasn't some drummed up rumor that caught legs and the media ran with it. The director of media relations for the TEAM confirmed Billick was returning. Now, who does he get his information from?

    Bisciotti's own quote said he changed his mind. What exactly did he change his mind from?

    He's the owner and he can do what he wants.

    But IMO this was handled VERY poorly.

    PP




  6. #51

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    For one, The Ravens nor Biscotti made any comments that Billick was his man and was staying this season. Billick made the comment that he would be back but The ravens or steve never confirmed this. There was no back and forth from steve. The MEDIA made those comments of "sources" saying billick was safe, and blah this and that.
    The only quote I can remember by Biscotti is something in the Sun, but I am not gonna go look for that now, but you are wrong about the Ravens.

    On the 27th of december, Kevin Byrne, wrote here

    STAYING WITH BRIAN

    Iím pretty sure some owners would have fired Brian Billick after a season like weíre having. Iím glad Steve Bisciotti did not. Steve will give his explanation when he meets with the media next Wednesday, Jan. 2.

    Change is not always good, and Iíll borrow from a recent Peter King blog to make this point.
    Kevin Byrne is the Ravensí Senior Vice President Ė Public and Community Relations.

    I don't think it can get any more official than that. You are just wrong on this.




  7. #52

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    The only quote I can remember by Biscotti is something in the Sun, but I am not gonna go look for that now, but you are wrong about the Ravens.

    On the 27th of december, Kevin Byrne, wrote here



    Kevin Byrne is the Ravensí Senior Vice President Ė Public and Community Relations.

    I don't think it can get any more official than that. You are just wrong on this.
    Thank you for finding and posting this.

    For everyone still clinging to the idea that Billick wasn't told he was coming back by Bisciotti, please explain this.

    PP




  8. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,496

    Re: Steve B

    Not sure why we're bringing up Byrne's comments.

    It doesnt change the situation except confirm all reports that this was a gut decision made by Bisciotti.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #54

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure why we're bringing up Byrne's comments.

    It doesnt change the situation except confirm all reports that this was a gut decision made by Bisciotti.
    Because many people (not you necessarily) continue to believe that Billick was never told by Bisciotti that he would be back in 2008 and that Billick told the media that to force Bisciotti's hand when in fact that's not true at all. (is this a run-on sentence?)

    When the Senior VP of Public and Community Relations says the coach is coming back, it's not some unconfirmed source that is relying on 2nd hand information.

    PP




  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Steve B

    Because many people (not you necessarily) continue to believe that Billick was never told by Bisciotti that he would be back in 2008 and that Billick told the media that to force Bisciotti's hand when in fact that's not true at all. (is this a run-on sentence?)
    Yes it is, but as the king of run-on sentences I have to tell you it is weak and shoddy work in need of a real stream-of-conciousness thought expulsion where you blurt out stuff we really don't need or want to know because it just comes pouring out of you with little to no effort and in fact can't be helped because you don't like to stop once you get going.




  11. #56

    Re: Steve B

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yes it is, but as the king of run-on sentences I have to tell you it is weak and shoddy work in need of a real stream-of-conciousness thought expulsion where you blurt out stuff we really don't need or want to know because it just comes pouring out of you with little to no effort and in fact can't be helped because you don't like to stop once you get going.


    I will work on my craft.

    PP




  12. #57

    Re: Steve B

    Is it all disturbing that SB said he decided Sunday morning to fire Billick on his own gut feeling? Wouldn't you expect SB to first talk to "Oz" and tell him about this feeling? Isn't that Newsome's department? Newsome doesn't even have the respect (as a GM) of the owner. He just sits there living off the 1996 draft. It's time Newsome gets exposed for the figure-head he is.




  13. #58

    Re: Steve B

    While I think it was the correct decision, I thought Bisciotti and the Ravens handled the Billick firing awkwardly at best, poorly at worst. But as I said earlier, Art Modell told the media and Browns PLAYERS in late 1995 that Bill Belichick would be the head coach in Baltimore in '96. Bisciotti isn't the first and certainly won't be the last sports owner to change his mind.

    I think it is too early to judge Bisciotti as an owner. In his first few weeks of ownership, Jerry Jones handled the firing of Tom Landry horribly, but it turned out to be the right decision.

    Bob Kraft made a mistake in his 4th year of ownership in his handling of Bill Parcells' departure. He learned from his mistake, hired Bill Belichick 3 years later, and now has a dynasty.

    My point is that Steve Bisciotti is learning how to be an NFL owner. He's in his 4th year as full owner and this is the first time he's had to fire a coach. It's unlike any other business he's been involved in because it is SO public. While he called it a "gut" decision, he and Ozzie both said that they have been discussing it for weeks. I don't think he would have made the decision if Ozzie didn't support it.




  14. #59

    Re: Steve B

    Ozzie will support anything Bisciotti says......he doesn't seem to be running the team. The coach gets fired and he had NOTHING to say. What a great GM.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland