When and how did our WRs learn to get separation?

Since Billick took over the play calling our WRs suddenly seem to be getting a lot of separation when running their routes. Frankly, I can't remember our WRs being this consistently open since Billick has arrived.

Are the routes called finally being mixed up so the defense doesn't know what's coming? Did everyone suddenly learn how to fake a DB and explode out of their breaks?

My feeling is that the play calling has the defenses on their heels compared to what they usually see out of the Ravens. It's easy to defend the fade route (Moore in Denver) when you've seen the Ravens run it often on tape. But when they change it up (Moore on a slant against NO) it makes it MUCH tougher on the Def.

Re: When and how did our WRs learn to get separation?

Easy -- start to pass on first down; success on that opens up everything else.

Only passing on third and long just creates problems -- is been a pleausre not having to see that the last 2 games.

Looks like they also started using "stickem"............they have been holding onto the catches lately as well! Now we just have to drag that second foot.............

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Actually, in the last 2 weeks I think our commitment to the run, despite only getting 3 yards per carry, is doing the trick. McNair is doing now what he was brought here to do, hit the open intermediate stuff and keep the chains moving. The reason, the LBs over the last 2 weeks have sold out in stopping Jamal. Teams now have to choose, Jamal or Clayton, Heap and Mason.

I have seen a few shots about Jamal only getting 3 yards per carry the last few weeks but sooner or later he will explode. He ain't 2003 Jamal but now we have a passing game and when LBs start hanging back to take away the 12-15 yard routes Jamal's 2-4 yard runs will become 5-8. And when they come back up to take away that, the play-action will once again open up those mid-range tosses.

That and also Clayton, Mason and Heap all have talent, as does D. Williams.

Well stated Greg. I really see the offense creating more for itself as we progress through the season with BB calling the plays. The run and the pass will continue to feed each other, with each doing more and more when the defenses protect one or the other. I'm looking forward to each and every game for the Ravens........

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Being a Ravens fan I have almost forgot what it is like to be confident your team can move the ball. Even against the Bungs when we didn't score we still moved the ball a few first downs before punting. This is huge with our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Being a Ravens fan I have almost forgot what it is like to be confident your team can move the ball. Even against the Bungs when we didn't score we still moved the ball a few first downs before punting. This is huge with our defense.
    I have to agree with you, I am not sure how long it is going to take me to get used to not covering my eyes in passing situations especially on 3rd down. The Ravens are 14-29 on third down conversions the past two weeks and accumulated 25 first downs overall (out of 43 total) through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    ....snip... The reason, the LBs over the last 2 weeks have sold out in stopping Jamal. Teams now have to choose, Jamal or Clayton, Heap and Mason.

..........double snip.... He ain't 2003 Jamal but now we have a passing game and when LBs start hanging back to take away the 12-15 yard routes Jamal's 2-4 yard runs will become 5-8. And when they come back up to take away that, the play-action will once again open up those mid-range tosses.

That and also Clayton, Mason and Heap all have talent, as does D. Williams.
    Great post Greg, my thoughts to the letter!!!! :p

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Easy -- start to pass on first down; success on that opens up everything else.

Only passing on third and long just creates problems -- is been a pleausre not having to see that the last 2 games.
    Couldn't agree more man!

I think that the increased comfort level has boosted the confidence of our recievers as well as the playcalling of Lord Billick.

If his players BELIEVE, they shall RECIEVE...

Good points. Another possible reason is that the Oline seems to be pass blocking a bit better. That may be giving the WRs the extra second they need to create a step of separation. I'll have to check the stats but I don't think NO or Cinn are huge pass rushing threats. I'm curious to see how they perform against a good pass rushing team.