Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Matt Ryan is on now (12/28) on ESPN

Yes, Billick is in the war room with them. But the final say is Ozzie Newsome. Eric Decosta and Ozzie are the two main guys. And when he was here, so was Phil Savage. Billick gives his input, but he is hardly even a decision maker in the process.

And of course they were looking at Boller. They were looking at all the QB's in that class, since they needed one. That doesn't mean Billick was lobbying for Boller and Newsome said he was getting Leftwich instead. They were all on the same page as to getting Leftwich. Billick has said this, and Ozzie has said this.

And if Ozzie didn't want to draft Boller, he wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I was countering someone elses point that Billick has NO say, which is false.

Three folks from the Ravens make the trip to NYC -- Bisciotti, Ozzie and Billick. While final decision rests with Ozzie, Billick DOES have a huge say in who we draft as does any head coach.

Yes, the Ravens wanted Leftwich. That doesnt mean Billick was ONLY looking at Leftwich. Billick has long ties to the Pac-10 and had his eyes on Boller from his sophomore year at Cal. In that respect, Boller was Billick's guy in that neither Ozzie or Modell had their eyes on him.
    Those 3 absolutely do not make the trip to NYC.

I dunno where you got that information.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Yes, Billick is in the war room with them. But the final say is Ozzie Newsome. Eric Decosta and Ozzie are the two main guys. And when he was here, so was Phil Savage. Billick gives his input, but he is hardly even a decision maker in the process.

And of course they were looking at Boller. They were looking at all the QB's in that class, since they needed one. That doesn't mean Billick was lobbying for Boller and Newsome said he was getting Leftwich instead. They were all on the same page as to getting Leftwich. Billick has said this, and Ozzie has said this.

And if Ozzie didn't want to draft Boller, he wouldn't have.
    100% correct.

This whole notion about Boller being Billick's guy etc.... is laughable.

It's even more laughable since we traded up to get him. Ozzie Newsome did that and if he wasn't 100% positive that Boller was the right pick, there is no way in hell he pulls the trigger.

As far as Ryan goes.

He's the top QB in the draft IMO.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 12-30-2007 at 01:32 PM.

If people think we're getting Ryan or any of the top tier QB's this draft, I have a tunnel in Baltimore to sell you.

Billick will NEVER allow his ego to start any other QB next year other than McBoller.
    What the hell is a McBoller?

Nothing, and I repeat *nothing*, has happened on this earth to make me think Billick would not upgrade at the quarterback position, given the opportunity. Do the names 'Elvis Grbac' and 'Trent Dilfer' ring a bell? How about the names 'Kyle Boller' and 'Steve McNair'?

All the brainiacs in fandom repeating each other like parrots that Billick is too proud to replace Boller, are just plain wrong. Hell, he's already done it once.

:brickwall:

edit: All those correctly pointing out Newsome is the *one* personnel guy are of course, umm, correct. Sorry Billick scapegoaters.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I was countering someone elses point that Billick has NO say, which is false.
    Learn to read better. I didn't say he had no say. I said he didn't have a major say, and he doesn't. Boller was his hand-picked QB, yes. And if you think back to that draft, you'll remember that Ozzie tried to trade up with Minny to get Leftwich, and would have gotten him if the Vikings brain-trust weren't a bunch of morons, letting themselves get duped out by the Jags who stalled them long enough to get him.

Billick wanted Boller, Ozzie wanted Leftwich, they made a huge effort to get Leftwich, it didn't work, they got Boller.

Billick has some influence in the draft room. Duh, every coach does. But you're fooling yourself if you think Ozzie doesn't call the shots in there.

- C -