Thread: Tell Me This

1. Tell Me This

Why is it not a touch down when you come down in the endzone with the ball in bounds with one foot in and the other foot doesn't quite make it in bounds(like D. Masons catch yesterday), and your whole body can be out of bounds and it be a touchdown as long as the ball is over the goal line?? I know it's the rules, but it just doesn't make sense to me!!:insane:

Re: Tell Me This

Because it's not about where the ball or body goes as much as it is where your feet are, and when you're tackled where your knee hits.

In the sense of the goalline, the rule of the ball crossing the plane of the goalline only exists if the ball is CARRIED over the goalline. If the ball travels in the air over the goalline, the receiver still has to have posession of the ball as it applies to the rules of a normal catch before it's considered a touchdown.

Because the rule is that you establish yourself in play with the catch, and the ball has broken the plane of the goal line.

In Mason's case, he didn't do one of those.

4. Re: Tell Me This

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Because it's not about where the ball or body goes as much as it is where your feet are, and when you're tackled where your knee hits.

In the sense of the goalline, the rule of the ball crossing the plane of the goalline only exists if the ball is CARRIED over the goalline. If the ball travels in the air over the goalline, the receiver still has to have posession of the ball as it applies to the rules of a normal catch before it's considered a touchdown.
    I still think it's CRAP

Sorry man. Rules are rules. It's the same rule as if he caught the ball at the sideline and stepped out before getting his second foot down. It's still an incomplete pass.

You have to do two things:

1) Have two feet inbounds
    2) Maintain possession of the ball

If you can't do that, it's not a catch. Endzone or not, it's the same rule.

6. Re: Tell Me This

Exactly as they stated, running with the ball means you already have possession of the ball so you can dive thru the end zone without having to get 2 feet inbounds. There are different rules for a pass or a run. just the way it is.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

The rule isn't that bad.

If you know the rules, everything is gravy. Just know what the rules are and try to stay within them. Problem solved.