Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60
  1. Re: It is NOT the system!



    Quote Originally Posted by awalt View Post
    This is a crazy thread.

    It is exactly BECAUSE it's been 10 years that one can say for certainty that the system is at least partially, if not fully, to blame.

    If his system is so intricate it needs such a unique set of players to pull off, it's a bad system.

    If his system is not working because he has not had the right kind of offensive lineman, than that's his fault as coach, who has plenty of input on the types of players the team needs. If he wasn't getting any input on what kind of players he wanted, he would have quit.

    If his system isn't working because of regular turnover of players, well guess what, that's a bad system too because in the NFL world of free agency that's a fact of life.

    BB caught lightening in a bottle with the talent he had on the Vikings - that seems pretty clear now. We can also see the equation based on what the Patriots have done this year -- Moss is a pretty unique WR, if you have at least 1 WR who can make plays and keep defenses honest with Moss, a QB who can make plays, and a good OL, you set an all time scoring record. The Pats have shown you don't even really need a running game, the Vikes had one then.

    I have to agree with Preston on this one - to say it's not the system at least in laarge part after 10 years is really being naive.

    What a load




  2. Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Now take off your purple glasses. How did we fair with Jamal's big year? One and done? Dude, seriously, you think we have ever had an O under Billick....WTF...We have never been able to overcome a 14 point deficit due to our O. This is common knowledge...I was going to argue with you but damn.....this is common knowledge with every fact/ stat in the world backing me up!!! Question where was the offense ranked when Jamal had his big year....Just wanted to hear you say it....





  3. Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My God, this may be the most utterly uninformed thread I've come across this season.

    I love it when I hear people go on about the West Coast Offense as if it's some mystical thing that requires "specific players" and all this mumbo jumbo. It's NOT some fancy and complex "system". You all may as well be arguing it's the Tuesday night lasagna at training camp that should not be the blame for this season because they are about as equally non-relevant

    Wake up and smell the proverbial coffee folks. All a WCO is a shift in emphasis! That's all. Nothing special. Instead of rushing to open up the options, WCO uses passing to open up the offense.

    QB's still have to throw the ball. WR's still have to catch the ball. RB's still have to run the ball. Linemen still have to block. And the team still needs to NOT GET PENALTIES!

    Now is you had said lets not blame the SCHEME maybe???

    So yes, I agree. God help us, not matter what you do, dont blame the system. Let's also be sure to not blame global warming, abortion, gun control .....
    Houston, your same old blabber bores me




  4. Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    great post, very creative....care to have an educated opinion
    what---EVERRRR




  5. #35

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Umm, in this thread Raven Nurse, I'm not sure Tspot is the one contributing conspicuously nothing. That would be *you*. :brickwall:
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,506

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Houston, your same old blabber bores me
    Get a new comeback. It's one thing to say someone bores you and then have facts. It's quite another to say it and then leave it dangling like the 3 incher in your pants.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Get a new comeback. It's one thing to say someone bores you and then have facts. It's quite another to say it and then leave it dangling like the 3 incher in your pants.




  8. #38

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Anybody want to explain our red-zone woes? Huge part of the problem right there. Admittedly Jamal is quite possibly the worst short-yardage runner in the history of the NFL, but we have had decent goal-line WRs. The really tall guy who could leap but is worthless between the 20s? Two TDs against the Jets two years ago... dang I forgot his name. Heap and Wilcox are good TEs in the RZ. Boller and McNair both have speed to get out of the pocket.

    Our offense plays not to lose. That's the crux of the argument right there.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  9. #39

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72
    The really tall guy who could leap but is worthless between the 20s? Two TDs against the Jets two years ago... dang I forgot his name.
    Clarence Moore? LOL, I never thought we'd be talking about him wistfully.

    Heap is actually our best red zone receiver, IMO, but unfortunately he basically took this year off. Not that it was his fault, but his absence was a real loss for the offense.




  10. #40

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Now take off your purple glasses. How did we fair with Jamal's big year?
    We got all the way to the playoffs with *no* passing game. We had crap for offensive personnel and made it to the playoffs!

    Refreshing your recollection. . . The year was 2003. Under center was Kyle Boller, until about half way through the season. Then he was replaced by Anthony freakin' Wright, whose top two wideouts were Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson, from the 'Where are they now' column. Making it to the playoffs that year was overachieving, Raven Nurse. It was a year to be proud of.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  11. #41

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    We got all the way to the playoffs with *no* passing game. We had crap for offensive personnel and made it to the playoffs!

    Refreshing your recollection. . . The year was 2003. Under center was Kyle Boller, until about half way through the season. Then he was replaced by Anthony freakin' Wright, whose top two wideouts were Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson, from the 'Where are they now' column. Making it to the playoffs that year was overachieving, Raven Nurse. It was a year to be proud of.
    That year AW led us to a 17? point comeback against the Seahawks.... which I listened to outside the stadium in P. lot B. ( My party wanted to leave, and I made it out the door before they did, and they stayed after the first score on the comeback trail.... and the bums at the gate wouldn't let me "return"!)




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, England
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Take the heat off the system all you want, last year showed it's not that bad a system. What is a massive problem though is that our offensive coaches (Billick remaining the only constant just about) are absolutely woeful at making in game and in season adjustments. We are one of if not the worst team in the league at responding to other teams' adjustments in my opinion. Yes we've had injuries this year and that'll hurt anyone, but where have the adjustments been to diminish the impact of those injuries? Answer, there haven't been any, we've just beligerently hammered away with the same old tactics, not responding and adjusting to adversity. It's a avery poor coaching job in my opinion with the lack of adjustments.




  13. #43

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Take the heat off the system all you want, last year showed it's not that bad a system. What is a massive problem though is that our offensive coaches (Billick remaining the only constant just about) are absolutely woeful at making in game and in season adjustments. We are one of if not the worst team in the league at responding to other teams' adjustments in my opinion. Yes we've had injuries this year and that'll hurt anyone, but where have the adjustments been to diminish the impact of those injuries? Answer, there haven't been any, we've just beligerently hammered away with the same old tactics, not responding and adjusting to adversity. It's a avery poor coaching job in my opinion with the lack of adjustments.
    I'd say the coach most guilty of not adjusting is Rex Ryan.

    He's still coaching like we've got a healthy Rolle/McAlister combo back there.

    PP




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, England
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I'd say the coach most guilty of not adjusting is Rex Ryan.

    He's still coaching like we've got a healthy Rolle/McAlister combo back there.

    PP
    That's entirely true, should've lumped him in with Billick there.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: It is NOT the system!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    You my friend, are WRONG
    Negative, you are WRONG!!!! How often has Billick made a change to the team (sub Boller for McNair) that was obvious to EVERYONE but himself?

    Look, maybe (probably) there is more going on than what we see.....Maybe, just maybe, McNair was Bisciotti's/Ozzie's guy? That would explain why they let him play longer than was advised and why Billick has such confidence that he'll be returning.......we can speculate all we want but the simple fact is Bisciotti is the one holding all the cards and he may have given Billick a pass for the year already!

    My statement rings true with most fans I meet; that Billick doesn't have a "feel" for the game like other coaches do! Miami at the end and Buffalo at the end stick out in my mind! It seems like he "out-thinks" himself into a hole. Remember this statement from Football 101: Keep doing what works until they stop you!!! If you're averaging 4yds per carry then continue to run the ball until they stop you......Billick cannot grasp that concept IMO......




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland