Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Grade Troy Smith

Darb pretty much took my point and expanded on it more than I thought about doing. Even Mike Preston summed up my feelings about this.

I don't understand how you cannot correllate QB play to the play of the rest of the offense, especially when the evidence reaches out and smackes you in the back of the head repeatedly. It goes like this:

- Offensive line does its job, receivers get open and catch passes, running game is productive, QB plays well.

- Offensive line cannot block, running game not allowed to be productive, receivers drop passes, QB plays poorly.

Those who think the QB makes the OL play better need to come up with an excuse why Troy Smith couldn't make the OL look better Sunday.

The answer is simple. Its not the QB that is the issue. Troy Smith wasn't exactly that "breath of fresh air" was he?

Troy Smith didn't magically create a pocket that hasn't been there for the last 11 QB's before him.

Troy Smith didn't make JO and Mike Flynn make all of a sudden make blocks he hasn't made all year.

Troy Smith didn't magically make Willis McGahee run better and stop him from getting hit constantly behind the LOS.

Troy Smith didn't magically stop us from being in several 3rd and long situations.

Troy Smith didn't stop us from throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd down with 7 yards to go.

PP, trying to say you can't compare a 5 year vet to a rookie is missing the point entirely. That 5 year vet has played in the same broken down, non-working system that the rookie was thrown into. And so the results are the same because despite the talents of both QB's, the offensive system is not built to take any advantage of their strengths.

No, instead we shoehorn every QB into the same system and then tell that QB to just manage the game and try not to lose.

The shame of it is that the mindset is that every QB we have had since Billick has been here sucked. Not the system, or the pieces around them. No, all our past QB's sucked.

Forget that three of them have been to pro-bowls prior to coming here.

Forget that one draft pick set NCAA passing records and was publically endorsed by Johnny Unitas.

Forget that one QB threw for over 4000 yards the very year before we picked him up.

No, they all sucked and QB play has nothing to do with the pieces around him.

Sorry, but there is zero evidence anyone can bring up and show right now to prove that too me.

Troy Smith is 0-1 right now. And he should never have been in that position to begin with. If he starts next week he'll be 0-2 and it will be totally unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Darb pretty much took my point and expanded on it more than I thought about doing. Even Mike Preston summed up my feelings about this.

I don't understand how you cannot correllate QB play to the play of the rest of the offense, especially when the evidence reaches out and smackes you in the back of the head repeatedly. It goes like this:

- Offensive line does its job, receivers get open and catch passes, running game is productive, QB plays well.

- Offensive line cannot block, running game not allowed to be productive, receivers drop passes, QB plays poorly.

Those who think the QB makes the OL play better need to come up with an excuse why Troy Smith couldn't make the OL look better Sunday.

The answer is simple. Its not the QB that is the issue. Troy Smith wasn't exactly that "breath of fresh air" was he?

Troy Smith didn't magically create a pocket that hasn't been there for the last 11 QB's before him.

Troy Smith didn't make JO and Mike Flynn make all of a sudden make blocks he hasn't made all year.

Troy Smith didn't magically make Willis McGahee run better and stop him from getting hit constantly behind the LOS.

Troy Smith didn't magically stop us from being in several 3rd and long situations.

Troy Smith didn't stop us from throwing a 3 yard pass on 3rd down with 7 yards to go.

PP, trying to say you can't compare a 5 year vet to a rookie is missing the point entirely. That 5 year vet has played in the same broken down, non-working system that the rookie was thrown into. And so the results are the same because despite the talents of both QB's, the offensive system is not built to take any advantage of their strengths.

No, instead we shoehorn every QB into the same system and then tell that QB to just manage the game and try not to lose.

The shame of it is that the mindset is that every QB we have had since Billick has been here sucked. Not the system, or the pieces around them. No, all our past QB's sucked.

Forget that one draft pick set NCAA passing records and was publically endorsed by Johnny Unitas.

Forget that one QB threw for over 4000 yards the very year before we picked him up.

Sorry, but there is zero evidence anyone can bring up and show right now to prove that too me.

Troy Smith is 0-1 right now. And he should never have been in that position to begin with. If he starts next week he'll be 0-2 and it will be totally unfair.
    Good lord.

I say that I would expect and 5th year QB (no matter what "system" he's been in) to perform a little better than 5th round rookie making his first start on the road vs playoff team and it turns into this.

I get labled as someone who thinks Smith is the savior (when I've been clear that I don't think he should have made the team). And really, I don't need you insinuating that I can't see our offensive woes (i.e. smacked in the back of the head repeatedly). Spare me.

I've never said a good QB is some magic bullet. But a good QB would damn sure help this team.

Some of you can act like that's a crazy thought.

Me? I think it's perfectly reasonable.

PP

BB is too stubborn to change the offense scheme to play to a QB strengthes. I still believe Boller would have have turned into a starter if BB would have built a O line that could protect him. When faced with pressure Boller does get happy feet and makes quick bad decisions. But when given time he's pretty damn good.

Same applies to Troy. Instead of 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down seven step drop pass; how about more play action pass or roll outs. Troy is fast and can make more plays on the run than from the pocket. Until he learns how to play from the pocket don't expect him to be a pure pocket passer, i.e. Donovan McNabb.

No one is saying that one game made or broke Troy's NFL career. I think its okay to give a fair assessment of his proformance regardless of the conditions he faced. I hope he starts against Shitsburgh, and hopefully he learned from the mistakes he made Sunday, like holding onto the ball like it's a loaf of bread. He seems like a smart kid and has alot of upside. After watching him play I no longer think we need to draft a QB first round. We need depth at CB, a pass rushing DE, or a home run hitter in a WR.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Good lord.

I say that I would expect and 5th year QB (no matter what "system" he's been in) to perform a little better than 5th round rookie making his first start on the road vs playoff team and it turns into this.

I get labled as someone who thinks Smith is the savior (when I've been clear that I don't think he should have made the team). And really, I don't need you insinuating that I can't see our offensive woes (i.e. smacked in the back of the head repeatedly). Spare me.

I've never said a good QB is some magic bullet. But a good QB would damn sure help this team.

Some of you can act like that's a crazy thought.

Me? I think it's perfectly reasonable.

PP

Yes a good QB would help this team, but it's just painfully obivious that any QB, be it Peyton or Brady, will find little success in this system.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Troy Smith wasn't exactly that "breath of fresh air" was he?
    Imo, I think Troy Smith WAS a Breath of Fresh Air! I saw someone who looked 'comfortable' in the pocket (i.e. no 'happy' feet); sensed pressure; reacted instinctively; throws a 'nice' ball; and has a hell of a strong arm. Granted he made some mistakes; but, come on, this was his FIRST professional start against a playoff team. Yes, to me, Troy Smith demonstrated qualities that Steve McNair exhibited during most of last year.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

"I say that I would expect and 5th year QB (no matter what "system" he's been in) to perform a little better than 5th round rookie making his first start on the road vs playoff team and it turns into this."

Actually I was going on the whole, "we haven't had a good QB" quote of yours. We haven't even had decent QB play from the 12 QBs and Stinger was wrong when he said three of them went to the Pro-Bowl. Five or six of them have gone to the Pro-Bowl. Dilfer, Grbac, Cunningham, Blake, McNair and I think Banks went before he got here though I may be wrong about that one.

Troy was going to make this team. Did he deserve it? Not sure to be honest, but we knew he would. The fact that he did and he looked exactly like every other QB we've started speaks volumes though. This system makes every QB look the same. They post the same stats, and they have the same problems.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Yes a good QB would help this team, but it's just painfully obivious that any QB, be it Peyton or Brady, will find little success in this system.
    Really?

Have we had ANYTHING close to a QB like that?

Brian Billick did coordinate an offense that will hold the league record for points for about another week didn't he?

I remember a little "crystal ball" controversy that went on here for years.

Seems like now the shoe is on the other foot.

System or lack of good players?

Both?

Most likely.

So am I to believe from some of you that getting a new offense here is gonna make the players we have on offense better? Gonna stop the stupid penalties at crucial times? Gonna stop the piss poor decision making? Gonna stop shitty throws or bad drops?

You all wanna beat the system drum. That's fine.

I'll be in the drum section that believes we haven't had nearly enough talent on the offensive side of the ball. And haven't had it for years.

Just 3 months ago all I was hearing was how the WRs were open and our QB was a wussy and checked down. And how a QB with the stronger arm would make us explosive.

Now?

Not so much.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    "I say that I would expect and 5th year QB (no matter what "system" he's been in) to perform a little better than 5th round rookie making his first start on the road vs playoff team and it turns into this."

Actually I was going on the whole, "we haven't had a good QB" quote of yours. We haven't even had decent QB play from the 12 QBs and Stinger was wrong when he said three of them went to the Pro-Bowl. Five or six of them have gone to the Pro-Bowl. Dilfer, Grbac, Cunningham, Blake, McNair and I think Banks went before he got here though I may be wrong about that one.

Troy was going to make this team. Did he deserve it? Not sure to be honest, but we knew he would. The fact that he did and he looked exactly like every other QB we've started speaks volumes though. This system makes every QB look the same. They post the same stats, and they have the same problems.

Jonathan Ogden is going to the Pro Bowl this season.

You and I both know that using the Pro Bowl argument can be picked apart like a nice MD blue crab.

Banks never made it.

Blake made it once in 1995. 7 before coming here. And our 2002 team was GUTTED. Again, I go back to the talent on offense that Ozzie Newsome has given us.

Once again, Im not sure what you all expected from Smith on Sunday.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post

BB is too stubborn to change the offense scheme to play to a QB strengthes. I still believe Boller would have have turned into a starter if BB would have built a O line that could protect him. When faced with pressure Boller does get happy feet and makes quick bad decisions. But when given time he's pretty damn good.
    This is EXACTLY my point.

It's not Brian Billick's job to build an OL.

That's the job of Ozzie Newsome. Period.

He has the final say in all personel decisions.

I've grown tired of Billick for various reasons.

But it drives me nuts when people sit here and blame him for our personel.

When does Ozzie get some blame?

PP

Merry Christmas Poe.

I didn't think Boller being put in would make us more explosive. I just wanted a QB who could actually throw the ball 15 yards down field.

To me Boller and Smith are interchangeable, just like every other QB we've had here. Check the stats if you want to. You say it's because of the lack of talent on the offensive side, and I'm going to say that's a problem with the system. The Ravens have never put a high priority on the offensive line and that kills the QB. That is a part of the, "system".

Another part is that we play not to lose on the offensive side. You know that as well as I do. Our game plan is always, "(Random QBs Name) don't do anything stupid and hope our defense gets us in field-goal range." That is a part of the, "system".

Ok, I think I'm gonna go grab Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas folks.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Merry Christmas Poe.

I didn't think Boller being put in would make us more explosive. I just wanted a QB who could actually throw the ball 15 yards down field.

To me Boller and Smith are interchangeable, just like every other QB we've had here. Check the stats if you want to. You say it's because of the lack of talent on the offensive side, and I'm going to say that's a problem with the system. The Ravens have never put a high priority on the offensive line and that kills the QB. That is a part of the, "system".

Another part is that we play not to lose on the offensive side. You know that as well as I do. Our game plan is always, "(Random QBs Name) don't do anything stupid and hope our defense gets us in field-goal range." That is a part of the, "system".

Ok, I think I'm gonna go grab Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas folks.
    Merry Christmas to you as well.

Lack of talent on the offensive side is part of the system to you?

Who do you blame for that?

PP

"Once again, Im not sure what you all expected from Smith on Sunday."

Same thing I expected when we signed McNair, drafted Boller, etc... That he would post sucky stats.

I think we're not in complete agreement about what the, "system", means. I think our inability to draft decent players on the offensive side of the ball is part of the system. You don't get an offense as terrible as ours from just one problem. The FO doesn't draft great talent, the play-calling is questionable at best, and the whole attitude of letting the defense win the games are all part of the system and huge parts of the problem.
    ProFootballMock