Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone think that...

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    How long are you gonna say we overpaid for McGahee?

He's 5th in the league in rushing on a team with zero passing game.

PP
    Last I looked, Mcgahee had about the smae TPC as the guy he replaced, who could have been retained w/o gutting two drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    You wanna talk about overpaid? How about a few guys on your list. Weaver? Good lord.

PP
    The Ravens didn't overpay Weaver.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Last I looked, Mcgahee had about the smae TPC as the guy he replaced, who could have been retained w/o gutting two drafts.
    It is the same as Jamal's there or there abouts, but then Jamal has a much better line in Clevelenadn than what we have right here this year. If you look at what Jamal averaged the last two years in Baltimore (3.6 in 2006 and 3.4 in 2005) then Willis is a massive upgrade. Two third rounders is a bit of a heavy price, but it's hardly gutting two drafts, particularly for one the most talented all round backs in the league.

The Ravens didn't overpay Weaver.
    No, we didn't, but the Texans did. If memory serves they paid more for Weaver than we did for Pryce. And in spite of how big a fan of Weaver's I was, I know which of the two I'd rather have.

Blog Entries

compare Jamal in Baltimore last year to Willis in Baltimore this year...

Last year, behind a better OL, Jamal had 3.6 YPC, 1132 yards, 115 receiving yards, and 4 fumbles

Behind a worse OL, Willis has 4.1 YPC, 1197 yards (with two games to go), 231 reciving yards, and 4 fumbles.

Jamal went to a better offense, so his numbers are sure to look better. But I think we have the better back. Once this OL gels and our QB situation gets straightened out, I think McGahee will look like Godzilla. He's already a beast, but we're going to see him absolutely blow up.

As for gutting two drafts, we lost our 3rd and 7th last year and our 3rd this year. In the end, we still got 3 first day picks last year, and we felt ok with trading those picks (our original 3rd and 7th) because we had compensatory picks anyway. This year, I have a strong feeling we will trade back at some point to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Also, just to note, we were trying to sign Jamal when he signed with Cleveland. So it's not like we traded for McGahee instead of signing Jamal. Jamal decided to go elsewhere, and our plan B was to get McGahee in here.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    Jamal went to a better offense, so his numbers are sure to look better. But I think we have the better back. Once this OL gels and our QB situation gets straightened out, I think McGahee will look like Godzilla.
    I think that's the point we need to keep in mind -- let's not just compare their respective performances this season and make a judgement on whether or not he was an upgrade, we also should look ahead. Jamal's had a good comeback season but he has a lot of wear and tear, and I would be very surprised if he can replicate this year's performance next year. McGahee, on the other hand, has a really good chance to get even better.

I was actually a skeptic regarding the McGahee trade when it happened, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well he's played.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Jamal's had a good comeback season but he has a lot of wear and tear, and I would be very surprised if he can replicate this year's performance next year.
    I kinda getting tired hearing about this all over ESPN. Stats wise he's having the same productive as last year. Next year he'll be one year older and might start suffering from all that wear and tear.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller