Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Good And The Bad (Week 9)

I think what has been underestimated is how difficult it is to beat a division team that has recently "owned" you -- which is how we were versus Cincy. Sort of like how we broke out against Jacksonville in 99 or 2000. I certainly felt that there was a concern that Cincy would find a way to come back just as they had done in 2004 and the team was relieved to get that monkey of their back.

Getting Better

1. Turnovers --we are plus 14 in the NFL -- 7 ahead of the the # 2 team, the Bears.

2. Offense -- don't look now, but the offense is starting to get better, due to Billick and better execution -- we are now #14 in the league at points per page (the stat that really counts) -- if we can stay in the top half we'll have a chance.

3. McNair -- he looks settled now. All this whining about does he understand the offense can stop. If we're back to red zone execution but we can move the ball, that's progress. Though Mason saved his buddy's rear by playing defender in the red zone with that ill advised cross field pass.

Concerns

3. Kickoff coverage -- Koch needs to replace Stover soon or he will fade -- we're getting lucky with our field position, given that most of the time the ball is fielded at the 15 or 20.

4. Secondary -- Rolle's interception should clear out his head; we still had lapses in the deep secondary. Seems like the team is trusting Landry more and letting Ed Reed blitz in order to keep his mental edge up.

5. Running -- if we can't run effectively against Cincy when can we? Billick is going to have to figure out how to check out the effectiveness of his other backs without messing with Jamal's head.

6. Injuries -- we'll see what the tally is -- Rudi Johnson just plowed over Ray Lewis when he came back from the injury

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Mason TD was definitely not a TD. Clearly didn't get his second foot in.
    Yup, shame on him for not knowing where he was on the field because that was a PERFECT throw.

He made up for it by defending that DUMB pass by Mac in the 4th.

I am estatic we are 6-2 and extremely happy with the offense overall
    Yet you give them a D!?! And say they almost got an F!?!
    but do you honestly think Bellicheck or Shanahan would have played so conservatively with a lead with redzone calls designed for settling for three points?
    Funny you should state that given that the Patriots went up against a "high scoring team" and threw the ball all over the field and got beat on INTs. And Shanahan's offense has really been lighting it up this year, hasn't it?
    Against a high scoring team like the Bengals you need to play for TDS.
    As someone said, the Ravens had 374 yards of total offense and - more importantly - held the ball for almost 40 minutes. THAT is how you play with a big lead. Granted one more TD would have been nice somewhere along the line in the 2nd half. But whose to say that trying to get that TD would not have resulted in a game-changing TO.

I am sure you would have been the first in hear defending Billick: He had to throw that pass, we needed more points against a high scoring team. (sarcasm/off)

Mason TD was definitely not a TD. Clearly didn't get his second foot in.
    It wasn't a TD, but Mason should have dragged his second foot instead of taking a step. Marvin Harrison had the same type of ball thrown to him last night and except for having to turn around and get it, he knew enough to drag his left foot for the TD.

Mason didn't do that, and it costed him. I'm with Mobtown on that one, the throw was there.

As someone said, the Ravens had 374 yards of total offense and - more importantly - held the ball for almost 40 minutes. THAT is how you play with a big lead. Granted one more TD would have been nice somewhere along the line in the 2nd half. But whose to say that trying to get that TD would not have resulted in a game-changing TO.
    Again, all fine and good. But that big lead went from 17-0 to 26-20 right before our eyes. And just like 2004 we were sitting on the edge of our seats wondering if Carson was going to go downfield on us to win the game at the end. The lead was 6 points, not 7. A touchdown wins the game for them. And the Bengals were moving the ball on us decently. That is not the position we should have been in with the ball in their hands.

Other than Mason's out of bounds catch, how many times did we throw the ball into the endzone? 0, none, nada, ziltch. We had one throw into the endzone and that was it.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 11-06-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Okay, we all know Billick is an intelligent man. At least we all SHOULD know! Wonder , is he smart enough to be saving some for later? I think so. Remember, we've been "even a first-time viewer could figure that out" predictable for years, and maybe he is saving it for when we need it? Maybe? Maybe he's smarter'n us!!!! I'm inclined to BELIEVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Okay, we all know Billick is an intelligent man. At least we all SHOULD know! Wonder , is he smart enough to be saving some for later? I think so. Remember, we've been "even a first-time viewer could figure that out" predictable for years, and maybe he is saving it for when we need it? Maybe? Maybe he's smarter'n us!!!! I'm inclined to BELIEVE!!!!
    Very Interesting!! You may be onto something and I agree with you that he may be holding back. Take those 2 direct snaps right off the bat yesterday....I garauntee those plays will be back later as a setup of some kind.

We may see some unbelievable offensive performances in our games to come if we are lucky, but the way the defense plays, we will probably only see enough.