Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameday ritual.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Gameday ritual.

Ok, so we live thousands of miles away from the action.So I wondered how my fellow Raven fans away from the pond,set up for their Raven gameday ritual.

First I watch the Pontel DVD of the Raven game from the previous week.
    Which I sometimes do while working out on my Total Trainer.[Got to
    stay in shape during football season].
    I get cold ones for the fridge,and something to chew during the course of the game.

I put my Raven jersey on.Fire up the pc, switch on NFL Field Pass to listen to the Ravens radio crew.Open up the NFL.com game stats page.
    Open up Sephy's gamethread.And prepare to post my emotions.
    Open and reply to UKRaven emails.

Jump up and down when the Ravens score,which can be dangerous wearing earphones.And if you have your pet cat curled on your lap,and he hasn't had his claws cut in awhile.

Make the wife a drink during a timeout,just to keep her happy.

There you have it.Three hours of purple frenzy thousands of miles from M&T.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Re: Gameday ritual.

Here is another example of purple fever far away from it's source:

Sundays are spent worrying if my not-so-very-secret-but-to-sensitive-for-this-forum source of live tv coverage will come through once again. To calm my nerves I read the various boards and game previews from Aaron and Tim. Gametime is downloaded as soon as it is uploaded here.

I make sure to eat before the game starts (6h time difference) to minimize distractions during the game. Eating usually is accompanied by listening to the pregame show on Field Pass and watching ESPN, CBS or FOX, sometimes more than one jumping between them dodging commercial breaks.

Then it's gametime and most of the time, live coverage. If not trusty old Field Pass at least gives me audio.

Outfit consists of one of my jerseys and usually a hat, which is surprisingly useful for throwing around in disgust, without causing to much damage to the apartment, when boneheaded mistakes kills drives or gives up chunks of yards.

If the Ravens play well the hat usually finds itself lying on my desk as it gets a bit hot jumping up and down shoutning when the Ravens score.
    Hrafn

I'll post my ritual later though it may be changing this year and I may even miss a few games

I'm joining a five a side league at Uni and the games are on sundays nights, direct clash with Ravens games. But I can 'record' the game and I always prefer playing sport to watching it, there's nothing like watching a Ravens game but I'd always prefer to play any sport than watch.

The good thing about listening to the game on radio.Brings back memories of the good old days[yes, only older people have good old days:D ] of listening to Armed Forces Radio under the bedsheets.

I get my DVD 5 days later to stew over what went right or wrong.Its expensive,but I wouldn't have it any other way,other than being there.

Aw, all you cute UK Ravens remind me of how I am when I watch Liverpool play. Its like borderline pathetic and devotion all at the same time :)

borderline pathetic
    I'm sure if any of my workmates knew how I carried on about the Ravens.
    Those two words would probably enter their vocabulary.But as long as I'm
    having fun and the wife doesn't get to left out,I say screw them.:eng:

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy
    Aw, all you cute UK Ravens remind me of how I am when I watch Liverpool play. Its like borderline pathetic and devotion all at the same time :)
    A Liverpool fan, ewww, there's far too many of them over at Terp Town as it is, do they have some sort of mind control on that board for the dirty scousers?

Hah, I followed the Reds long before all the bandwagoners at TT did.

They're the best team in the world, though.

Your system is in for a shock on 9/17.

You'll need to get up early that day - and I mean no later than 7:00 - and arrive at the tailgate spot no later than 9:00AM (hopefully earlier). By then, you will see a mass of purple building unlike anything you've ever seen before. Purple vehicles in many shapes and sizes. More purple jerseys than you can count. And you have not seen anything yet.

Excitement will be like electricity in the air. The home opener. Look to the north across the parking lot, past the train tracks you will see M&T Bank Stadium in all of its red brick, steel and glass glory. Smiles will be all around.

By 9:15 many of the typical tailgaters will have arrived including Yours Truly. You'll be handed a cold beer if you don't already have one. The smells of bacon will waft across the small grass strip. Some guys will already be throwing footballs around the lot which is still not full of vehicles.

Before long, the rest of the grills will be fired up. A cornucopia of meats will be sizzling - hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, barbequed ribs, pork loin...and the beer will flow. And the hope will build.

Before long, the lots will be chock full and a great mass of people will be partying as far as the eye can see and quite a bit further out. Music will blare. Jello shooters will be downed. Cigars will be lit. Some people will be selling T-shirts or Ravens hats. Football talk will abound. Steve McNair is in town. Life is good.

Before you know it, it will be 12:00 or so and time to shut down the grills, down another couple beers, shake hands with your tailgating mates and put your game face on. Think "Gladiator" and you won't be far off. The walk to the stadium will take only 10 minutes, but the crowd will be thick and you'll be able to feel your pulse rise. A shot of adreanaline here, another there...wow you'll think, this is a lot different than I'm used to.

Once through the line (queue) into the stadium, you'll pick up your game program and make your way to whatever level you are sitting in. The mass of people will sometimes interfere with where you want to go, but it's all good...everyone is in purple. Ah, you will spot some Black Oakland Raider jerseys here or there, but by and large it will be a purple mass.

Once you make your way to your section and walkup the ramp...it all unfolds in front of you. That green field, surrounded by 70,000 purple seats. The first time you see it, your breath will leave you. This is it.

The excitement builds as the crowd does, during the pregame ceremonies. As the teams are introduced, many will already be at a fever pitch. And once that ball is kicked off, it's time for war.

Between the tailgate, the game and the aftergame tailgate, you are guaranteed to be completely wiped out.

In reality, it's nothing like this on gameday.

It's BETTER!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I would attest to that, but I didn't want to get their hopes up too high. But I can't wait! Bought the ribs today!

I'll be getting the pork loin fresh from one of the better butcher shops I know a couple night before, and will be marinating it until early Sunday.

I don't think anyone will be walking away hungry.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

CY - that was beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye.

Also, I see someone got 'cornucopia' on their word of the day toilet paper today.