Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Time management-Attn. Ravens

Can you imagine the crowd reaction if they just stood there for 16 seconds waiting to spike the ball and didn't run a play?
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I just can't are where a run up the middle serves any purpose in a 2 minute drill. Throw a swing pass and try to get out of bounds to stop the clock. Or throw a medium sideline pass. Something other than a run up the middle.

Its pre-season, they are trying stuff out. Yes I know there were many problems is the past, it just a cross we fans need to bear:bag:

I'm sorry, but time management was not as bad as it seemed to finish the half the other night.
    If it were not for Billick's abysmal record, you may have a point -- not that I would agree with your point. The Ravens have had far too many blown halftime opportunities since Billick arrived. And an exhibition game is no excuse. Shouldn't the team be practicing how to win games?

If it were not for Billick's abysmal record, you may have a point -- not that I would agree with your point. The Ravens have had far too many blown halftime opportunities since Billick arrived.
    Rack That!

If the coaches didn't screw this pooch on a regular basis we wouldn't give a rat's as about the rare and unusual 2-minute drill screw up.

Fact is, Billick & Co. have been HORRIBLE when it comes to planning and executing a 2-minute attack. Mr. Fancy Pants out-snookered himself last week and now he wants to divert attention to the refs.

Thumbs up Re: Time management-Attn. Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T
    If it were not for Billick's abysmal record, you may have a point -- not that I would agree with your point. The Ravens have had far too many blown halftime opportunities since Billick arrived. And an exhibition game is no excuse. Shouldn't the team be practicing how to win games?
    RACK THAT!

And it's not just the halftime blunders either, it's been the whole 2 minute drill thing, that get blown as well.

But since Fassel calls all the offensive plays now, including the redzone, it's his fault, right?

Exclamation Re: Time management-Attn. Ravens

If that running play goes for 6 pts it would have been a good Time Management or even if it went for 3 yards the ref stops the clock to reset the ball and then they spike and then run the FG unit out. I realize that playing it safe and passing would have been a good call but our ravens were having some success running the ball. And because of that I think this is more a lack of execution by the Players then the fault of the coaches.

And Yes The Ravens were out of TO's and perhaps should have used them wisely. I agree that Blaming the ref is childish but lets be fair, the kicking squad was on the field and ready to go.

They were definitely having success running the ball. I'm thinking in strict terms more of what you do in a 2 minute drill. If you're going to run, a run up the middle shouldn't even be in the playbook for that situation. If you feel like you have to run, run to the outside so you can either get positive yards or run out of bounds and stop the clock.

IMO at no point in Fassel's thought process should that play have ever entered his mind.

If you're going to run, a run up the middle shouldn't even be in the playbook for that situation.

I'm not sure about that, again if he scores or gets the first down we aren't having this conversation. The field goal unit was ready. If everything was textbook playbook calling this wouldn't be a very exciting league.

What I found impressive on that drive is that the offense knew the plays for the drill well in advance--what a concept. In the past time would tick and tick while the team was in the huddle getting the play down.

I'm not sure about that, again if he scores or gets the first down we aren't having this conversation.
    What good would a first down be with 10 seconds (or less) left on the clock?

IF they scored a TD, then we wouldn't be talking here...but they didn't, and it's highly unlikely that they ever would on that play. That's why it makes no sense. With a pass play, you either get the score or the clock stops.

Bottom line, shit happens. Which is exactly why you play smart and don't leave it in the hands of the officials. If we are down by 7 at the end of the game..OK, I can see taking a shot up the middle.

in this scenario...Spike the ball, take your time setting up the FG, walk into half-time feeling good.

It's Preseason, so I am not going to start screaming for the Coach's head. On the other hand, if this was regular season there would be absolutely no excuse for how those 21 seconds played out.

I'm not sure about that, again if he scores or gets the first down we aren't having this conversation.
    Still an up the middle run from where they were is not the highest % play to accomplish the 2 most important things at that time:

1. Score a TD
    2. Stop the clock.

I'm not saying a run was doomed to failure, but I think taking a shot at the endzone would have been better.
    What I found impressive on that drive is that the offense knew the plays for the drill well in advance--what a concept. In the past time would tick and tick while the team was in the huddle getting the play down.
    Agreed, it was a huge improvement over previous years. This offense is finally getting out of the dark ages. In retrospect it was pretty pathetic that we were excited about adding motion last year. I think every other NFL team has been using motion effectively for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown
    IF they scored a TD, then we wouldn't be talking here...but they didn't, and it's highly unlikely that they ever would on that play.
    At the same time, if we scored a FG, which we should have, then we would not be having this conversation. We we're ready to kick a FG, with a good 3 seconds left. That's all I'm saying; we we're ready.