Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Re: Why do people want to start Troy Smith?

Exactly Extrapoint.

If we didn't have so many QB questions going into the offseason.Then we all wouldn't be having this conversation.

The need to know where we stand at QB is now.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheExtraPoint View Post
    Is he a leader, or does he have leadership qualities?
    I am gonna say that this one is pretty easy to answer. All you have to do is listen to him, at the very end of Bart's show.

If you don't feel like going out on the field and fight with him after that little speech by him, there is something wrong with you!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Tom Brady comes to mind

Agreed.

Huh?

In one breath you say we rushed Boller then in another paragraph you propose putting Troy in the exact same situation that got Boller off on the wrong foot -- starting a new season with zero experience! You would prefer to repeat history instead of slowing bringing someone along. Your logic is flawed. Either you do or dont want to repeat the mistakes of Boller?!

1. Find me where Tom Brady played as a rookie.

2. We rushed Boller...he started as a rookie. By his 2nd year after sitting on the bench his rookie year, I'd have wanted to start him..

3. Troy Smith may or may not be good. But you don't learn or gain anything from playing him THIS year...what you do is make him the #2 all offseason and have an open competition in trainign camp next year if he progesses well during OTAs and mini camps and all that fun stuff.

To the people who are comparing starting Troy Smith on Sunday to rushing Boller and starting him as a rookie.....GIVE ME A BREAK.

The situations are so far from similar that even bringing that up is ridiculous.

First of all. Kyle Boller held out of camp in 2003.

This team was primed to make what some people said a Super Bowl run and Boller was thrown in as a rookie to be the QB for the team. That pressure is exponentially higher than starting Troy Smith when we're 4-9 almost through a ruined season.

How can it be that you would think that this compares to what Boller went through as a rookie?

I don't care either way if Troy Smith or Kyle Boller plays on Sunday. It's a non issue anyway. Boller is starting.

But to say that starting Smith would somehow equate to scarring him like we did Boller is ludicrous.

Starting as a rookie on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations and starting game 14 as a rookie on 4-9 team is so different in every facet that Im still shaking my head that it was even brought up.

PP

3. Troy Smith may or may not be good. But you don't learn or gain anything from playing him THIS year...what you do is make him the #2 all offseason and have an open competition in trainign camp next year if he progesses well during OTAs and mini camps and all that fun stuff.
    I'm not sure how you'd be able to argue that you don't gain or learn anything from Smith playing in live-game NFL action, but that you do from splitting mini and training camp practice reps?

Are we even that sure that starting Boller his first year "scarred him"? Granted he hasn't turned out very well but whose to say sitting on the bench would have helped. I really don't think he has the mentality to play at the NFL level. He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes even after five seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I have believed all along that he shouldn't have been annointed the starter the first day he came into camp but I do question if, in his case, it would have mattered that much.
    AZRAVEN

[

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    To the people who are comparing starting Troy Smith on Sunday to rushing Boller and starting him as a rookie.....GIVE ME A BREAK.

The situations are so far from similar that even bringing that up is ridiculous.

First of all. Kyle Boller held out of camp in 2003.

This team was primed to make what some people said a Super Bowl run and Boller was thrown in as a rookie to be the QB for the team. That pressure is exponentially higher than starting Troy Smith when we're 4-9 almost through a ruined season.

How can it be that you would think that this compares to what Boller went through as a rookie?

I don't care either way if Troy Smith or Kyle Boller plays on Sunday. It's a non issue anyway. Boller is starting.

But to say that starting Smith would somehow equate to scarring him like we did Boller is ludicrous.

Starting as a rookie on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations and starting game 14 as a rookie on 4-9 team is so different in every facet that Im still shaking my head that it was even brought up.

PP

I don't see how. I dont' care what the team's expectations are. Everyone knows we stink. On the team level, you're absolutely right.

On Troy Smith's level, why fuck with his confidence? Why rush him in to action? What will it prove? Do you really think that no matter how he plays in the last 2 games of this season that it will indicate the type of QB he will be for his career? I just think you gain nothing by playing him now and potentially lose his confidence.

I'm all for an open competition in next training camp.

On Troy Smith's level, why fuck with his confidence? Why rush him in to action? What will it prove? Do you really think that no matter how he plays in the last 2 games of this season that it will indicate the type of QB he will be for his career? I just think you gain nothing by playing him now and potentially lose his confidence.
    If Troy Smith isn't confident or mentally tough enough to survive the typical rookie struggles that plague almost every quarterback entering the league, in three season-ending games that affect nothing more than the losing record of a cellar-dwelling, underachieving football team, then he will never amount to anything as an NFL quarterback. I'll promise you that.

Contrary to common belief, Boller DID survive them... He just couldn't overcome his physical and mental football defficiencies to ascend beyond the ranks of below-average NFL quarterbacks.

It's a myth. You either have what it takes, or you don't. And there is only one way to find out.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Why rush him in to action? What will it prove? Do you really think that no matter how he plays in the last 2 games of this season that it will indicate the type of QB he will be for his career?
    Hell yeah,lets do away with the need of the NFL combine.Lets do away with all the film of Troy Smith at OSU.Because that cannot mean anything either.
    Guys went to play in NFL Europe just so they can get game film of themselves to send to teams.

Every time under the lights,facing live bullets.

Means something.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheExtraPoint View Post
    If Troy Smith isn't confident or mentally tough enough to survive the typical rookie struggles that plague almost every quarterback entering the league, in three season-ending games that affect nothing more than the losing record of a cellar-dwelling, underachieving football team, then he will never amount to anything as an NFL quarterback. I'll promise you that.

Contrary to common belief, Boller DID survive them... He just couldn't overcome his physical and mental football deficiencies to ascend beyond the ranks of below-average NFL quarterbacks.

It's a myth. You either have what it takes, or you don't. And there is only one way to find out.
    Boller never had what it takes to be an NFL starter. You can't lose what you never had in the first place.....

He's not your normal 5th round pick. About everyone will tell you he fell for two reasons, one, the major one, his height, and two, his performance in the title game.

The season is over. You are absolutely right, the time is to evaluate, which is the exact reason that Smith should be starting. Everyone knows what Boller is, starting him three more games will change nothing moving forward.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Because it's the tail end of a lost season, and I'm ready for something different.

Remember you're talking to a fan and not a coach or player here, so my answer is precisely what highwater predicted, and I make no apology for it.

I am not going to make any arguments about 'having to see what he can do', or 'Smith>Boller', I just want to see something different after this loooong season. Don't like it? Don't agree. It's fine with me.
    Hey Festivus, we finally agree on something. I blame Billick's stubbornness for not playing Troy along with the fact that Troy isnt Billick's prototype QB. However, I'd love to see what he has so we can plan for the future!