Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Why do people want to start Troy Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    This isn't a Kyle Boller thing. This is an every QB in the league right now thing.

Good quaterbacks / starters who sat at their 1st year: Brady, Romo, Anderson, Palmer, Cutler (majorify of his 1st year), Rivers, Russell is sitting, Clemens, Garrard, Schaub, Hasselbeck, Warner, Delhomme, Kitna, Jackson, Eli Manning, Marc Bulger, Jeff Garcia, J. Cambell

Good QBs who started quickly: Peyton Manning, Rothlesberger (tried to sit him, we knocked out Maddox), Favre, Brees, McNabb

Possible Bust / Bust Qbs who all started their 1st year: Leftwich, Grossman, Boller, Harrington, Losman, Carr, Lineart, Alex Smith

Guys who got the start their 1st year and look possible worse for wear:
    V. Young, Jon Beck?

The fact that NFL QBs who sit seem to look better on average than those who start within their 1st year isn't something i think is made up.

Of the successful guys, a lot are 2nd round and later picks who didn't have the pressure of starting and were given the time to focus on learning.

Its not about Troy Smith being afraid, its about giving him time to learn without the pressures of being starting QB, and having idiots like Mike Preston talking all kinds of nonsense about you. He should focus on getting the X's and O's of our shitty system down.

And again, there it is. Because the fans don't care and want a change for the sake of change, lets not care if starting him now is probably a negative and not a positive. Lets fire Billick now because anything is better. Because after all, these last 3 games are about entertaining us, the fans, now and not about the future of this team.
    Dude you have more excuses for why Kyle Boller sucks than anyone I've seen.
    Troy Smith is a 5th rounder, there's not much invested in him. We need to see if this guy can play. My hunch is he'll give us better numbers than Kyle Boller can . Some guys find ways to win games , some guys find ways to lose them. Judging from my 5 years of enduring Kyle Boller, he just isn't a capable starting QB in this league. I mean , if you intend on contending for something. If mediocrity is your aim Boller is very capable.
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    What tools? Such generalities bother me.
    Tools, you ask? Reading a playbook and learning the playbook is one thing. Applying and improvising the playbook is what seperates the decent QB's from the great QB's.

At this point of the season with how everything is going, Smith playing the second half of the remaining games will not hurt his confidence IMO. The Romo's and Brady's of the league have "it" as a QB and I believe Smith may have "it" as well....

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    The expectation level might be lower, but nobody wants to play shitty for a shitty team in their first NFL go around. If you want him to succeed, you put him in a position to do so. You dont' set him up for automatic failure, which is what starting him now would do.

Believe it or not, the players and coaches still want to win games.
    First of all, almost all young QBs that have been drafted high or have high expectations start out playing for teams that, if not shitty, certainly aren't very good.

I would EXPECT Troy Smith to struggle if he started. However, this ridiculous notion that starting him now would cause this horrible damage to him is laughable.

Nobody wants to play for a shitty team. But plenty of players, including rookies, do it all the time.

Again, I'll go back to my comparison of playing a guy like Boller in week 1 as a rookie and playing a guy like Smith when we're 4-9 with half the team on IR. The comparison is so off that once again words can't express how ridiculous the notion is.

Im well aware that the coaches and the players want to win this game. I've stated repeatedly that I don't care if Boller or Smith starts.

Im just pointing out major flaws in the argument to not start Smith.

It's a non issue this week anyway. Boller is starting.

But let's not pretend that starting Smith Sunday or even next weekend is some major mistake that would scar his career.

So F'n what if he stinks it up.

If he gets significant playing time in these last 3 games, it will enable him to enter camp next season with an idea of what it's like to play in this league.

And THAT is what can happen if he plays.

Stop acting like he'll curl up in the fetal position if he gets knocked around a bit at the end of a terrible season.

PP

Good QBs who started quickly: Peyton Manning, Rothlesberger (tried to sit him, we knocked out Maddox), Favre, Brees, McNabb
    IIRC, Favre was riding the pine in Atlanta for a year or two when GB decided to pick him up. It seemed that only after "Magic" Majkowski crashed and burned did Favre get his chance.

But PP's last post:
    But let's not pretend that starting Smith Sunday or even next weekend is some major mistake that would scar his career.

If he gets significant playing time in these last 3 games, it will enable him to enter camp next season with an idea of what it's like to play in this league.

And THAT is what can happen if he plays.

Stop acting like he'll curl up in the fetal position if he gets knocked around a bit at the end of a terrible season.
    Is spot on. Why the hell not get Smith in there and get him some reps in live NFL action? The Ravens season is already toast and letting the FO see what they have in Smith might give them something to think about as they figure out the draft?
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

And if he does,Troy and the coaches know what to work on for next season.
    But it seems some people want to keep their toy cars in their box in case they get all scratched when playing with them.And what is the point of that?
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team when the starter struggles, whether or not the struggling is all the fault of the starter (which it isn't in Boller's case - poor pass protection plays a big role in his struggles, and the same would be true for Smith, were he to start.)

We should be starting all the young o-linemen together, to see if they can begin gelling into a quality line. We know what Ogden and other vets can do - they're not the future (Ogden may even retire - if he doesn't, and gets his toe fixed, that would be a bonus to add to a young line if it does show potential to be a good unit in these last three games.)
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    IIRC, Favre was riding the pine in Atlanta for a year or two when GB decided to pick him up. It seemed that only after "Magic" Majkowski crashed and burned did Favre get his chance.

But PP's last post:

Is spot on. Why the hell not get Smith in there and get him some reps in live NFL action? The Ravens season is already toast and letting the FO see what they have in Smith might give them something to think about as they figure out the draft?

The problem is that starting him now shows you next to nothing. If he fails, people will note poor pass protection, BB hater will note poor coaching by Brian Billick, and that he's a late pick rookie

If he succeeds it won't let you know anything because we're in basic mop-up time. Starting a QB for a team this down isn't going to give you any reliable data.

Thats just my opinion. What you want to do is what the Raiders are doing with Jamarcus Russell. Josh McCown is starting, but Russell WILL PLAY. Likewise, Boller should be the starter but Troy Smith SHOULD PLAY.

The issue is that if Jamarcus Russell or Troy Smith or any young rookie comes is and lays an ugly one under dire circumstance with a questionable supporting cast (lord knows Boller has), what does that do besides actually RAISE questions.

I'd like someone to tell me the last time a team put a young QB in to start in mop-up time and it ended in the team either a) annointing that guy the teams future or b) cutting the player or perma-benching him

it never is clear cut like that.

So, if you're looking for Smith to give you something to make it easy, I think you're going to be dissapointed.

its more likely that he has his ups and his downs and we're stuck in the same position we are now going into the draft.

The worse case scenario is that Troy drops a deuce because he's been rushed along and we'll not know what he REALLY is because we're not REALLY trying to coach him up.

I see Tony Romo and I see all I need to know about the QB position as it stands in the league. Let a guy with the physical tools sit and learn the pro-game.

I'd be playing Troy Smith. But it has nothing to do with Boller playing badly, and hoping that Smith will prove to be superior.
    It has to do with finding out if Smith can simply play as well as Boller and be an option as their #2 next year.

At this point they know what they have in Boller. One of the better back ups in the league and one of the weaker starters. If this were baseball we'd be talking about Boller as a 4-A player. I don't think they are in a situation any longer where they are evaluating Kyle's potential as the future franchise QB.

It looks like the plan is to try to get McNair healthy next year for one final run (that was how his contract was constructed and it's hard to do anything else, unless he retires). Hopefully they are also looking to draft a college player who can become the franchise QB down the road. Let's pretend that player is Joe Flacco.

That would give them McNair, Boller, Smith, and Flacco. A lot of teams don't like carrying three QBs much less four.

So, back to the original question of whether to play Boller or Smith, my theory is that we know Boller is fine as a back up, but we're not sure if Smith can assume the role. Let Smith finish the season to judge if he can supplant Boller in that spot. If so, with Kyle under contract for next year, they could be in a position to trade Kyle.

No one is going to project Kyle as their starter. But he has great value as a young veteran back-up. I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and they were lamenting the lack of quality back up QBs in the league, and how damaging it is when the starter goes down. Kyle has great value as a back up, whether it's for the Ravens or some other team. But now is the time to find out if Smith can be just as valuable in the #2 role.

Don't get overly excited and think he's going to immediately vault into a franchise QB...one step at a time. Prove himself as a back up, which he hasn't done yet, and then let him compete down the road with a Joe Flacco after McNair is gone, too.