Thread: Reed and Landry

Reed and Landry

Is it possible that Ed Reed and Dawan Landry could play cornerback? It's been obvious all season long that our backup corners are unable to cover receivers, and that, combined with lack of pressure put on quarterbacks by
    our defensive line, enables opposing QBs to pass at will to open receivers. Reed and Landry at least would have a chance to impact the game if they're covering receivers.
    Al

Re: Reed and Landry

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Is it possible that Ed Reed and Dawan Landry could play cornerback? It's been obvious all season long that our backup corners are unable to cover receivers, and that, combined with lack of pressure put on quarterbacks by
    our defensive line, enables opposing QBs to pass at will to open receivers. Reed and Landry at least would have a chance to impact the game if they're covering receivers.
    In a word, no.

Corners prolong their careers by switching the Safety, not the other way around.

Rod Woodson is a perfect example.

Safeties lack the speed and agility to play CB.

PP

Ed Reed might have the ability to spot start there, but definitely not Dawan Landry, or most safeties for that matter.

Blog Entries

Even if that would be true, our starting S would be Gerome Sap and.....

yeah, problem...no backup S. It would end up being Ronnie Prude. So we would go from two patchwork CB and two very good S, to two unsteady CBs, one very raw S, and one dependable S.

Good idea though...With CMac down for the season and Rolle still hurt, we need to find someway to not turn the remaining games into the Pitt game from a few weeks back.

Reed probably could play CB, but there is no chance in hell Landry could. Landry's lack of speed has been exposed this year, he's simply not fast enough.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    In a word, no.

Corners prolong their careers by switching the Safety, not the other way around.

Rod Woodson is a perfect example.

Reed might be able to do it, but he'd still be better at safety than he would be at CB. It would be strictly a desperation move if it happened.

Landry? Absolutely not.

Ed Reed could play cornerback. Or running back, or linebacker. Or wide receiver. That's him.

But he's at his most dangerous with the relative freedom he gets from the free safety position.

It's funny you mention that though. I had toyed with proposing we could swap to a cover-2, if our CB woes continue into next year with a Rolle retirement. That would give more coverage duties to the safeties, and take a lot of pressure off the CB's. As traditionally implemented, though, the linebackers would have to get into pass coverage too, and we would need qb pressure from our DE's without support from the LB's, for it to work well. Too many changes, plus it would dumb down the defense for two of its stars, in McAlister and Reed, taking away the advantage we have when they're out there. So I didn't propose it, but your question reminded me of the similar thought I had.

Anyway, no, is the answer.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

It was just a thought. With receivers running as free as they are, and QBs not being hurried when passing, Reed and Landry are pretty much wasted at safety with regard to making plays. As corners, I thought they might at least have a chance to make some plays (and they couldn't be any worse at covering receivers than the backup corners have been.)
    Al

9. Re: Reed and Landry

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    It was just a thought. With receivers running as free as they are, and QBs not being hurried when passing, Reed and Landry are pretty much wasted at safety with regard to making plays. As corners, I thought they might at least have a chance to make some plays (and they couldn't be any worse at covering receivers than the backup corners have been.)
    I don't know if I'd start Landry at corner, but Reed may be OK...This is one reason we have not been able to play ball control on the offense this year...We've been behind quite a bit in the first half because of our pass defense, that we have had to sling the ball all over the place...Our pass defense has been subject without a constant pass rush...And with one or both of our starting corners out this year, we are toast in most games and that's why we get beat deep almost all the time