Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: It's not too early: Rivals.com mock draft - Ravens CB

Well with McAlister nursing a strained knee, Samari Rolle diagnosed with epilepsy, BOTH of them getting older, and your backup corners being Pittman and Martin???

Yeah, I'll be happy with a CB in the first round.

Taking Cason that high would be a mistake IMO. There will be plenty of talented CB's in the 2nd round. Talib from Kansas and Tribble from BC should both be there in the early 2nd.

I honestly can not see the Ravens passing on a franchise QB. The main weakness of this team has been the QB position. You have a chance to once and for all solidify that position. You can't pass that up.

Blog Entries

I'll preface this by saying I think we should go with our BPA/don't reach strategy...

That said, CB is definitley one of our top targets. Samari Rolle and Chris McAlister are unreliable as a starting tandem...They are both getting to the age where you can't rely on them both to be healthy at the same time. We saw how our backups are...Corey Ivy is only good as a nickel back, and the rest of them just can't cut it at the NFL level...yet, I'll give you, but we need to start planning for the eventual leaving of Rolle and/or McAlister. Both have very large contracts and both are starting to get past their prime, if not already in that area. If we're looking to rebuild this team, CB is a big area where we have holes.

I think if I were to rate our needs as High/Medium/Low...

HIGH - QB, CB, DL
    MEDIUM - WR, LB, TE (If Heap gets healthy and Wilcox and Syp step it up, this goes to Low), ST (Mainly because Stover will be retiring one of these years...Lloyd could be our answer there)
    LOW - OL, RB, S

Our Offensive Line was bad this year, but we have all the young players in place that SHOULD make this line great. We need to give them time to develop before giving up on them. Next year, I say we need to start Terry/Gaither, Brown, Chester, Grubbs, Yanda. That's our line of the future, let's make it happen.

SO, to sum up, my draft strategy would be looking first at the CB/QB/DL available at our spot. If there's nothing good, TRADE DOWN. There are a lot of good QB prospects and CB prospects in this draft. If we trade down to get a later pick in Round 1, keep our Round 2 pick and maybe pick up another Round 2 or a 3rd round pick, we should still be able to get impact players at QB and CB, then be able to pick up a DE/OLB later.

I agree we need to draft a CB...but def not in the first round. You can get decent CBs via FA too. I think QB / WR / DE are more pressing needs.

FM

Wink Re: It's not too early: Rivals.com mock draft - Ravens CB

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    I agree we need to draft a CB...but def not in the first round. You can get decent CBs via FA too. I think QB / WR / DE are more pressing needs.

FM
    I agree we need to draft a QB...but def not in the first round. You can get decent QBs via FA too. I think CB / DE are more pressing needs.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Wow...Mr. T...brilliant satire there.

FM

I agree that Brennan would be a huge mistake.

And Sporting News mock still has us taking Matt Ryan, since it's "not too early" now. Or is it only "not too early" when a mock has us taking a CB in the first round?

Count me in with the others who think there is absolutely no chance the Ravens pass on either Ryan or Brohm if they are there, and one likely will be.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''