Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

We aren't worse of at any position than we are at the most important position on the field, QB.
    I could handle Bollers good points,if not for his bad points being so abysmal.
    The mistakes he makes just make you gasp in wonder.There is such a high arc between his high points and his low points on the field.There is no smooth learning curve with the kid.

You can coach him up all you want,you can teach a robot to throw a hard ball all the time.But you cannot teach a robot the intangibles of QB play.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    How much longer are you gonna hold on to this?

How much more do you need to see?

We aren't worse of at any position than we are at the most important position on the field, QB.

PP
    I have to agree with you here PP. I don't know how anyone can hold out hope that Boller is finally going to get it. He's been given chance after chance for 5 years. It obvious that he will never be an NFL QB. It's time for the Ravens to admit they made a mistake and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    As for Troy Smith, suppose he folds and plays like crap, what then do you have to look forward to?

I'm all for getting Troy Smith work, but we rushed the current guy which may have damaged him, so what makes you sure Troy Smith is ready to go in?

I would like to see more Troy Smith but will leave how fast he gets his feet wet to the FO, Billick and Neuheisel.
    If he completely folds, he folds. Then we KNOW we need to draft a QB. I don't think you can compare the Boller/Smith situations - there is a massive difference between getting your feet wet against the worst team in the league after learning some of the system and being thrust in to the starters role at the beginning of a season. Rushing them is a bunch of crap, IMO. If they're ready, they're ready, and they will show you something. If not, you're not obligated to play them the whole season. This team has no expectations right now. Plenty of QBs play in their rookie seasons. I don't think the Ravens should let Mr. Hyperactive dictate how they groom QBs.

FWIW, I don't think he should be listening to fan polls or call in shows either, but it is of my opinion that they should at least play Troy in these last 3 games, if not start.

4. Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

I hate Brain Billick. He really acts like he works for Peter Angelose. His biggest concern is not losing to Miami. Personally, I don't give a shit if they lose. In fact, I've been thinking they would for 6 weeks. Like Madden said, play Smith because you have nothing to lose and something to gain.

The other disturbing comments in that article are about basically bringing the same crew back- and expecting different results.I guess coach know it all is hoping an angel will drop a new dynamic out of the sky next year.

If very little changes in the off season, then we might go 6-10 or 7-9. I was very disappointed in that article. Billick sounds very smug about his return.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Gotta disagree with Green Wave & Losac......

Is Boller the starter next season? Coming off a 3 pick game, albeit behind by four scores, sure throws a monkey wrench into that decision. Let's see how he does on the road, and against one of the better teams at home where we hopefully would not have given the game away in the first few minutes.

Settling in on the starting QB has a rippling effect on the entire offseason activity. With the many needs that this team has, being able to invest high picks into positions that are worse off than the QB position is arguably the best way to rebuild. Especialy in a year when there no prospective Peyton Mannings or Carson Palmers to be had.

What do we gain by watching Smith in true game action - not mop-up against scrubs? Some evidence as whether he should be elevated to #2, dropped to #3 or PS, or cut. That is a relatively insignificant decision.
    What do we gain by watching Boller suck as usual? Do you and Dave get wood watching him or something?

So, I want you to tell me honestly, how much does Boller have to suck before you realize he isn't the QB of the future? Do we need Pro Bowlers at every offensive position for Boller to succeed? Does he need another 5 years for the game to slow down enough for him?

Oh yeah, I like how "Boller threw 3 picks, albeit down by 3 scores"...
    So I guess it's okay for the QB to throw picks when down big (or down for that matter), THEN TO HAVE A QB THAT WILL GET US BACK IN THE FUCKING GAME!!!

Oh yeah, T, I am wondering, where is one of your legendary QB threads, bashing horrible QB performance from the last game? Can you say BIASED???
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Wink Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

How much longer are you gonna hold on to this?

How much more do you need to see?
    Hold onto what? Coaches play the best player you've got at each position ... is there anything revolutionary about that idea? Like it or not, Boller is our best QB at the moment. Maybe we'll pick up a FA next season who will be more talented to beat him out -- if so, great. (I don't think there's anyone in the draft to do so). I want to see the best players at each position wearing purple.

I don't think that Smith is big enough or talented enough to start in the NFL. So I don't buy into the hoopla about starting him. (And I did see him up close in the last minute of the game last night, lined up with scrubs and playing against scrubs who just wanted the game to end with no injuries.)

As to how much more to see ... I don't place a lot of weight on a game where 3 picks were thrown when down by four or more scores. I saw a pretty good game at QB the week before despite major protection issues. I'd be a lot more concerned if we are in the game next week and Boller blows it with interceptions.

That's why we have message board debates, Poe. You apparently think that QB is the position that needs most upgrade. I disagree. Our QB play is about average. I believe that our team is a lot worse off at the DE and CB positions. If we don't see major upgrades next season, we could be in for another losing season.

And other considerations against picking up a high round QB: Pretty bad off on the OL; I can't tell you who is suckier right now, but, as a unit, the OL is pretty bad. And LB may not be too far behind if Ray loses another step and if Suggs doesn't rebound. We have no burner WR, our punter looks worse each week, and the TEs look average at best.

If Ryan, Ainge, Flacco etc. were to fall far enough, I would be happy to see one of them picked and challenge Smith for the #2 QB position (I doubt that anyone in the draft is ready to start as a rookie). Just not picked ahead of the team's more pressing needs.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

As to how much more to see ... I don't place a lot of weight on a game where 3 picks were thrown when down by four or more scores. I saw a pretty good game at QB the week before despite major protection issues. I'd be a lot more concerned if we are in the game next week and Boller blows it with interceptions.
    First of all, we were down 14-0 with over 9 minutes left in the 1st quarter when Boller threw that absolutely horrendous pick. He stared down Mason and everyone in that stadium knew it. It was not garbage time and we were not down by four or more scores. Seriously, defending the guy is one thing. But let's not rewrite history here.

And really, if you're not concerned by that game last night then there truly isn't much point in debating this issue.

I just pray Ozzie and Co. see what I see.

And believe me, Im concerned about some of the other things you brought up.

PP

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

If he completely folds, he folds. Then we KNOW we need to draft a QB.
    We wouldn't find enough out about Troy Smith if he played every minute to the end of the season that would stop us from drafting a QB. WE WILL DRAFT A QB, Troy Smith isn't going to show enough in a few games to stop that.

I have to agree with MistaT on one thing, Troy Smith probably isn't talented enough or big enough to make it in the NFL. That said, I wouldn't just cut the guy without getting him some work this year and next as I outlined above.

But we WILL draft another QB. There is no way this team will go into next season with Troy Smith and Boller as its only prospects at QB for the future.

And of course Billick is trying to win against Miami, do you want the Ravens to be THE ONE TEAM they beat? I want a few more wins to get us down a few more picks in the draft. Drafting top 5 is a cap killer, the chance of a bust killing you cap-wise for a few seasons is very high. Ask a few Browns fans about busts at that level.

Our QB play is about average.

:insane:

Though our QB play is south of average, if you're satisfied with being average at the NFLs most important position you're a loser.
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

"I don't think that Smith is big enough or talented enough to start in the NFL. So I don't buy into the hoopla about starting him. (And I did see him up close in the last minute of the game last night, lined up with scrubs and playing against scrubs who just wanted the game to end with no injuries.)"
    -Mista T

Smith played horribly - IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!

Boller played horribly in regular season NFL games and had mediocre seasons in a weak pac-10.

How many more games to we have to give up on seeing if Boller is "it"- HE ISN'T THE GUY!!!

How do I know? Watch the 40 or so NFL games he has played in.

Is Troy Smith the second coming of Joe Montana? HE ACTUALLY COULD BE...BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS WE GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!

Do I honestly think he will be? NO - BUT AT LEAST GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE!!!

Boller hasn't earned any more chances, Troy has.

Even if he screws up against the Dolphins, at least give the Heisman trophy winner and National Champion runner-up qb 3/40 of the chances THAT WERE GIVEN TO THE QB BUST KYLE BOLLER!!!

Once he really shows he has no chance of getting better, then you give up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    What do we gain by watching Boller suck as usual? Do you and Dave get wood watching him or something?

So, I want you to tell me honestly, how much does Boller have to suck before you realize he isn't the QB of the future? Do we need Pro Bowlers at every offensive position for Boller to succeed? Does he need another 5 years for the game to slow down enough for him?

Oh yeah, I like how "Boller threw 3 picks, albeit down by 3 scores"...
    So I guess it's okay for the QB to throw picks when down big (or down for that matter), THEN TO HAVE A QB THAT WILL GET US BACK IN THE FUCKING GAME!!!

Oh yeah, T, I am wondering, where is one of your legendary QB threads, bashing horrible QB performance from the last game? Can you say BIASED???

So Crows, did you come back to this forum just to be a jerk? Judging by this post and your joke of a thread in the QB forum, I'm going to say yes. And that is a shame from what I remember of you.

And if so, I'll be the first to ask you to please head back to YBR because especially at this point in our very rough season it is NOT welcome here I assure you.

Now, to your post. It's real hard to defend Boller's play Sunday. It was shit, pure and simple. Frustrating to a level I hadn't felt since Denver 2005.

But let's not for a second pretend Mason and Clayton and Darling were just getting wide open all over the place. BTW, remind me again which one of those is a legitimate #1 receiver? Didn't think so.

And let's not pretend for a second that Willis McGahee was running all over the Colts DB's like he did against the Pats. Anyone call any sweeps or draws for Willis to run? Could Willis hit any holes with authority?

That entire team packed it in before the first quarter even fucking ended. Enough for me to leave the stadium and waste $50 on parking and food before the second quarter even started. Pissed isn't the word I can use to tell you how I feel right now. Numb is a good word.

Boller is done here. No matter what the reason, fair or unfair, he's here out of contract alone. Doesn't matter whether he's just never latched on, or the team never built around him correctly. He's not the answer here.

But guess what else? No one is the answer here as long as Brian Billick is the offensive coordinator, but it's going to take another 2-3 QB failures for people to finally catch on. As much as I would like to see what Troy Smith has, we won't really know. He'll be forced to run this same offense that has ruined QB after QB. Troy Smith, and whatever draft pick we use, will just be the next casulty in the Billick system.

And what the Ravens FO better figure out and quick, is that as a PSL owner and season ticket holder, I am NOT one of those that they want to stop caring about this team. That is $1,000 I can easily spend elsewhere.