Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

Lets examine the qb development of a playoff-bound team - the Cleveland Browns.

Their opening day starting qb had a couple chances - after not being successful he was gone because he hadn't shown any success in the past so he received no more "benefit of the doubt" from the coaches.

On the bench was a highly touted first round draft pick out of Notre Dame who was mediocre in college at best but.....was a first round pick.

So what does Crennell do? Does he go right to the first round pick? No, he goes to the nest guy in the "rotation" - Derek Anderson.

Crennell didn't play favorites - he gave everyone an honest shot. Now the Browns are in a very enviable position.

Actually not everyone has recieved their shot yet (Brady Quinn)- Anderson is productive and valuable and now by avoiding the hype of immediately going with the 1st round pick from Notre Dame they found a gem right under their noses for a much cheaper price.

The lesson learned? You can't negate qb's abilities based purely on where they were drafted and how highly touted they were on draft day. You have to give everyone an equal shot in training camp (jut the opposite of Brian Billick in 2003) and base the starters on their actual production in camp and gametime.

Maybe Smith really sucked in practice and in camp, but in 2 minutes against scrubs in a real game, he looked much better than the high draft pick who had 40 games under his belt against the same scrubs.

Thumbs down Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    if you're satisfied with being average at the NFLs most important position you're a loser.
    Stuff it. Losers are those who come onto to message boards to personally insult others for expressing their positions.

QB is one of 22 starting positions. We haven't had quality QB play since 1977 - 30 years. That's not about to start by playing an undersized 5th rounder who belongs in the CFL. I don't see another Bert Jones in the 2008 draft. Wasting a first or 2nd rounder on another average QB, or trying to make something out of nothing with Troy Smith, will wind us up exactly where we are.

I like winning. Our team has 1/2 dozen major holes to fill. Higher priorities than QB. No NFL QB can survive behind our porous OL, and no NFL QB can win games when the Defense easily gives up 44 points.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Billick: "Suck it fans. I'll be back next year, and Kyle is starting next week."

Quote Originally Posted by purple bird View Post
    Lets examine the qb development of a playoff-bound team - the Cleveland Browns.

Their opening day starting qb had a couple chances - after not being successful he was gone because he hadn't shown any success in the past so he received no more "benefit of the doubt" from the coaches.

On the bench was a highly touted first round draft pick out of Notre Dame who was mediocre in college at best but.....was a first round pick.

So what does Crennell do? Does he go right to the first round pick? No, he goes to the nest guy in the "rotation" - Derek Anderson.
    Gotta stop you right there. Derek Anderson was NOT the next guy in the rotation. The ONLY reason Anderson got to play was because Brady Quinn held out of nearly ALL of training camp while trying to get money he didn't earn via. his draft position from the Browns.

If Quinn goes through camp with everyone else, he would have been the QB that went into the game when Frye was pulled, NOT Anderson.

Maybe Smith really sucked in practice and in camp, but in 2 minutes against scrubs in a real game, he looked much better than the high draft pick who had 40 games under his belt against the same scrubs.
    Minus the fact that Sunday was more than just Boller's play you may just be right. But then why does nobody in this entire city, including people here who want him to start, believe he's the long term answer to the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Stuff it. Losers are those who come onto to message boards to personally insult others for expressing their positions.

QB is one of 22 starting positions. We haven't had quality QB play since 1977 - 30 years. That's not about to start by playing an undersized 5th rounder who belongs in the CFL. I don't see another Bert Jones in the 2008 draft. Wasting a first or 2nd rounder on another average QB, or trying to make something out of nothing with Troy Smith, will wind us up exactly where we are.

I like winning. Our team has 1/2 dozen major holes to fill. Higher priorities than QB. No NFL QB can survive behind our porous OL, and no NFL QB can win games when the Defense easily gives up 44 points.
    Why are you willing to write Smith off before he's even had a chance to show what he has? Boller has been given 5 years, why should a 5th round QB not be given a chance to grow?

I'm not picking on you T, but it seems that you really don't want any competition at the QB position. That way we would have to stick with Boller. We all talk about winning, but what makes you think we can win with Boller as our starter?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    So Crows, did you come back to this forum just to be a jerk? Judging by this post and your joke of a thread in the QB forum, I'm going to say yes. And that is a shame from what I remember of you.

And if so, I'll be the first to ask you to please head back to YBR because especially at this point in our very rough season it is NOT welcome here I assure you.

Now, to your post. It's real hard to defend Boller's play Sunday. It was shit, pure and simple. Frustrating to a level I hadn't felt since Denver 2005........

etc.....
    Again, when McNair set the NFL record for lowest yards per completion, and other shitty performances, there was a collective shit taken on him on THIS message board from a number of posters.

Maybe if people weren't BLAMING JUST McNair ALL the time, and took a look at the WHOLE picture, they wouldn't have said the same shit. It's just funny to me how all of the sudden our OLINE, receivers, etc need to be upgraded when Boller has been playing like crap. That's been a fact for awhile, but certain people are only saying that now when McNair cannot be shit on any longer.

Believe me, I thought he sucked since the PO game last year, but you didn't hear see myself and other posters starting tons of threads about him w/o looking at the whole picture. Our QBs suck, system sucks, our receiving corps lack a deep threat, and the OLINE needs time to develop.

Anyway, I agree with the Billick take, and I've never really been too impressed with his joke of a system. I really am not going to argue that, because I've said the exact same thing to other people.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

[QUOTE=StingerNLG;64278]Gotta stop you right there. Derek Anderson was NOT the next guy in the rotation. The ONLY reason Anderson got to play was because Brady Quinn held out of nearly ALL of training camp while trying to get money he didn't earn via. his draft position from the Browns.

If Quinn goes through camp with everyone else, he would have been the QB that went into the game when Frye was pulled, NOT Anderson.

-
    Quinn did not, however, go through camp with everyone else, which is why Anderson was next in the "rotation".

I personally think this season is a bust. PLay Troy Smith. I am not saying hand the team over to him just yet, but at least let us see what the kid has against starters. At this point in the season, we should be experimenting. Mix things up a bit. Let's see what talent we have waiting in the wings.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    I personally think this season is a bust. PLay Troy Smith. I am not saying hand the team over to him just yet, but at least let us see what the kid has against starters. At this point in the season, we should be experimenting. Mix things up a bit. Let's see what talent we have waiting in the wings.
    Most of Baltimore agrees with you. The only thing that's stopping it from happening is the embarrassment that this franchise would face if we lost to the Dolphins. It's a tough situation but you have to do what is best for the future of this team. Personally I would say start Smith. A loss is a loss regardless. Doesn't matter if your a teams first win our not. This would be the perfect opportunity for Smith to get his first start.

We know what Kyle can and can't do. BUT you have to start him on Sunday as he is the starter no matter how bad of a season we are having. Would I, as a fan, like to see Troy Smith given a shot and the start based on this season and where we are in the standings? Yes. But I understand why Kyle is getting the start. I say bring in Smith and let him play the entire fourth quarter based on the score - either good score of us winning or bad score of us losing. He needs the chance to get some work as he'll be the backup next season to Kyle. I just want the "fans" to stop with the Matt Ryan talk as we have a young QB on the side right now. Let's give him a shot or see what he can or can't do before we move on to the next starter.

As was mentioned all day yesterday on various shows (minus Anita Marks due her stupidity) we haven't had a true franchise QB since Vinnie in 96 and 97.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

No one is the answer here as long as Brian Billick is the offensive coordinator, but it's going to take another 2-3 QB failures for people to finally catch on. As much as I would like to see what Troy Smith has, we won't really know. He'll be forced to run this same offense that has ruined QB after QB. Troy Smith, and whatever draft pick we use, will just be the next casulty in the Billick system

I'd bet 95% or more of Raven fans agree with this.
    Whatever quarterback Billick has is doomed to failure or if he's a quality passer much lesser numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    Again, when McNair set the NFL record for lowest yards per completion, and other shitty performances, there was a collective shit taken on him on THIS message board from a number of posters.

Maybe if people weren't BLAMING JUST McNair ALL the time, and took a look at the WHOLE picture, they wouldn't have said the same shit. It's just funny to me how all of the sudden our OLINE, receivers, etc need to be upgraded when Boller has been playing like crap. That's been a fact for awhile, but certain people are only saying that now when McNair cannot be shit on any longer.
    I hear what you're saying. It's almost comical.
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Losac
    The man is delusional. Unless he has discussed this personally with Bisciotti, there's no way he can know for sure if he'll be fired.
    Returning to the original topic, isn't it possible that Billick was simply answering a question when this came up? And what is so amazing about the possibility that he has talked to Bisciotti about his status? With the way this season has gone, I don't think it's out of the question that they have had some conversations.

If I were Billick, and had been asked by a reporter about his status for next year, I would have probably dodged the question with some wishy-washy "We'll see what happens" answer, but that is obviously not Billick's style. Maybe this is his way of letting the players know "I'll be back." I don't think that's arrogant, it might in fact be the best way to get the attention of those players that have tuned him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

T - I didn't insult you personally. However if you enjoy playing victim keep it up.
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin