Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

Whasup Ravens family, it's your favorite red-headed bastard 2nd cousin that you love to hate back again spewing his crap all over the friggin place.

Seriously though, it's unfortunately looking more and more like it's a good idea to think about the future of our favorite franchise instead of dwelling on what is.

So let's take a look at what is as well as what could be, shall we? While some here may still think that Kyle will one day turn some sort of corner after 5 years in the same system on the same team, it's becoming more and more obvious that it'd be a good idea to have a 'plan B' just in case.

The Ravens drafted QB Troy Smith in the 5th round of the NFL draft. And although he won the Heisman which signifies being college football's most impactful player, it seems that the only thing that anyone remembers of Smith's final collegiate season was the meltdown in the championship game.

So here's a little sampling of what it is that everyone saw in him before that game, so that we all can gain a little levity on what this kid is capable of:

Youtube video of Troy Smith’s Heisman Season, Y’all musta 4got!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAwMpBKQXU

Watching it again makes you realize that he didn't win the Heisman just because he knows how to smile for the camera. He's actually a talented player who's earned everything he has gotten his entire life.

While no one's gonna write this kid a pass for the way he performed both in that game and all the way up to when he was drafted, one thing he can't be accused of is not being a fighter and a winner.

Smith started off as a slash sort of player at OSU playing returner/RB/QB/you get it and did everything that was asked of him. Determined to excel at QB, he beat out a stellar crop of talented QBs (including Justin Zwick, the nation's top recruit) to emerge as OSU's starter midway through his sophomore campaign. Zwick was last seen broadcasting high school football games in Cleveland, Ohio.

We all know of his 54TD/12 INT ratio he was able to post during his following two seasons as a starter, along with an undefeated season (up until Tebow and Co. got in dat arse in the Championship game) and of course the hardware he's got on his shelf and accolades that come with that.

Here's what Ravens Scouting Director Eric DeCosta had to say about him after the Ravens drafted Troy Smith:

“I love his poise. He’s got a leadership to him that is unique at his position in college football. He’s respected. He’s got an absolute cannon for an arm.

We think he’s got a lot of upside to help us and emerge as a backup quarterback at some point and maybe more than that."
    And here's what Coach Brian Billick had to add to that:

“Troy’s story should not be about where he ended up in the draft. The story is how he came from being a part-time running back to a part-time quarterback to beating out one of the nation’s most highly-recruited players.

He then guided his team to two Big 10 Titles and a place in the [2007] National Championship game. This young man has a presence. He is going to do well on and off the field.”
    As you can tell, he's used to digging his way up from obscurity and making people pay attention to what he can do. His biggest asset is his ability to show he's special once he's given a chance.

The main thing that most experts harp on is his height. Others simply refer to his implosion in the championship game with the nation watching. Mostly it's just opinions of blowhards who just don't think that he can be a good QB without providing anything more than circumstantial evidence to that effect.

We've all seen through history that height isn't the determining factor as to whether a guy is or isn't going to be successful in the NFL. You can't tell me that just because a guy is 2'inches shorter than another guy that this automatically qualifies the taller man as to being the better QB.

Guys and gals, Troy Smith is arguably a short 6'1, which is either as tall as or only 1 inch shorter than these players who at one time or another have had success in the NFL as mobile quarterbacks:

Steve McNair: 6`1- 230pds
    Mark Brunell: 6`1- 217pds
    Jeff Garcia: 6'1- 205pds
    Michael Vick: 6'0- 215pds
    Kordell Stewart: 6'1- 212pds
    Donavan McNabb: 6'2- 240pds
    Steve Young: 6'2- 205pds
    Jeff Blake: 6'0- 203pds
    Jake Plummer: 6'2- 212pds
    Drew Brees: 6'0- 209pds
    Troy Smith: 6'1- 225pds

What it boils down to is this. You can't measure the heart of a player by inches or miles, a player either can or can't play at a high level. PERIOD.

Here's what some experts thought about this young man's abilities:

Troy Smith
    OSU
    6`1- 225pds/ 4.65-40

Smith finished his Buckeyes career 25-3 as a starter, including a 10-2 mark against ranked teams and a 3-0 ledger against rival Michigan. The “x” factor has completed close to 70% of his pass attempts and has only thrown 6 picks while tossing almost 30 TD passes in 2007.

Troy has been gifted with a big arm, arguably the strongest in the draft, as well as very quick feet and great overall athleticism. His field vision and ability to read coverages is also far superior to what you'd normally expect from an athletic-mold QB.

He also possesses a very quick feel for pressure, and can ably use his legs to get away from it and create plays. Smith's arm is also one of his great strengths-literally. It is both strong and very accurate, as he proved both throughout his senior season and at OSU's pro day.

Has a quick release and gets good velocity on short and medium passes even if his feet aren’t totally set. Has the ability to take a couple of quick steps out of trouble, reset and qet a quick pass off, also throws well on the run has good accuracy on the deep ball.

He’s very patient, reads the field well and takes what the defense gives him. Patient in the pocket, stands strong under pressure and displays excellent field vision. Consistently finds the open wideout, looks away from covered receivers and goes to the safe underneath route if nothing else is available.

Noted for his composure, leadership and big-play prowess, his strong and accurate arm, he is also elusive and has a scrambling ability to keep plays alive. Unlike past years though when Smith was most likely to simply take off, last fall he had been keeping his eyes downfield and had been throwing much more off the scramble.

His ability to create when pressure is in his face and make accurate throws on the run gives him the unique ability to consistently turn a busted play into a big gain play.

Considering that the Ravens offensive line is seemingly in a state of flux more oftentimes than not, being able to make plays both from standing in the pocket and on the move when protections break down seem to be an asset the our offense can use right now until the line can gain some stability.

Bottom line, you don't want what's happened to Cleveland to happen to the Ravens when it comes to their QB play. It paid off, but it was a very expensive lesson they learned.

First, they sold the farm to move up in the draft to get Brady Quinn, right in front of the Ravens no less.

Next, they had Charlie Frye-itis. He bombed terribly, Anderson stepped in and played well and the rest in history.

The thing is, in order to keep Anderson they're gonna have to pay him what he's worth and that's not cheap to say the least.

When Anderson's agent squeezes the Browns for every cent they've got, they'll either have to pay him or trade him and if they trade him, especially if he does well in the post-season, the fans just might burn that stadium down to the ground!

This all comes from one simple mis-calculation. They didn't take the time to see what they had instead of thinking that their only solution is either through FA or the draft.

All I'm sayin is that due the 'The Anderson Effect', it would be an unfair injustice to not at least give Smith a chance to prove himself. You just don't know what a player can or can't do until he's under fire, so put him to the test and see what happens.

We all know what happens when you evaluate a guy based on his measurables rather than his output. You wind up trading up to draft a 'you know who'.

A kid who's got the size, athletic ability and the arm to throw a pass 50yds down the field through the uprights on his knees but folds like a lawn chair when he's put under pressure.

I don't know who'd find that impressive, there are very few jobs that you can impress me with that involve to doing something 'specacular' while on your knees.

Anywho, I've griped on enough about this whole thing. All I'm sayin is that considering that this may well be the worst year of football in Ravens history with zero chance of having any success that matters, why not give the kid a shot at either proving to the world that he either has what it takes, or not.

Just my opinion.-Pro-

Blog Entries

Re: Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

Good post Prolific, and I agree...he can't do any worse than what we've already done.....

Re: Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

Kudos Pro....your right. What the hell do we have to lose with letting Smith start the rest of the year? NOTHING.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I've officially jump on board, PLAY TROY THE REST OF THE SEASON!!! We've got nothing to lose.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Excellent post. Your takes are always a good read.

I agree wholeheartedly on Smith. He's been a winner his entire career, at least see what he can do in these last 3 games.

Only thing we have to lose by giving Troy a chance is games and we're already racking up losses at a franchise worst pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Excellent post. Your takes are always a good read.

I agree wholeheartedly on Smith. He's been a winner his entire career, at least see what he can do in these last 3 games.
    BINGO!
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

Troy Smith: 6'1- 225pds
    He's not 6'1". He might not even be 6'0".

But I'd start him anyway. Screw it, what is there to lose.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Top posting Pro.

I said before the first quarter I didn't want to see Troy Smith last night, then the rest of the game happened, and he let me go to bed with a smile on my face at 4.30am. I'm all aboard for letting him start the last three or start against the Phins and give him significant PT in the final two, whatever, just let the kid play. He looked composed, assured and prepared last night. That's more than can be said for any othe Ravens QB this season.

About 3-4 weeks ago I wanted Troy to finish up the final three games of the season. Now that we have gotten past the AFC's two juggernauts, these next threee games will be a perfect chance for Troy and each presents a unique opportunity.

1. Miami- on the road against a terrible team
    2. Seattle - on the road in a tough environment against a hot and cold team
    3. Pittsburgh - home but against a good team

The season is lost. But it will be a waste if we don't get the young players on this team valuable experience heading into the offseason.

Start TROY!!!!

I wanted to see him start a couple weeks ago. As far as I could see the season was over anyway and frankly I couldn't see any point in wasting more time on Boller. We've seen his entire career and it's been one long nothing. I was disappointed when they resigned him. I'm sorry but I don't even see him as a backup. I expect a backup to be able to come in at any time and hold a lead, or move the team into scoring position, or something other than screw up. As far as I'm concerned, we start Smith, drfat a QB this offseason and dump Boller entirely.

There is no freakin' way Troy Smith is 6'1".
    If he's even 6' I'd be surprised.

With that being said, I thought when we drafted him in the fifth round it was a great pick considering where we got him.

My problem with him here is that I don't see Billicl letting him be what/who he is.
    The dude is an improvisor on the field with his scrambling ability.
    Sorta like Michael ( I just got 23 months) Vick except with a much better arm and far better accuracy.

We tend to try and make our QBs stay in the pocket and wait for the play to develop.
    Did you see the type of time and pockets Smith was given during the majority of that video?

You think he's gonna get that here?

With his height restrictions, he needs to be able to play the way he plays which would require the coaching staff to allow him to do that.

I don't see that happening.

I'm all for it right now just to see what he might be able to bring in the future and what he has learned so far.

But if they don't let Troy Smith be Troy Smith and throw him out there trying to make him something he's not.....:grbac: :grbac: :grbac:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    There is no freakin' way Troy Smith is 6'1".
    If he's even 6' I'd be surprised.
    Just to settle this Troy measured 6 feet at the combine. I read an article around that time that said most people expected him to be a shade under but he is exactly 6 feet tall (and I mean exactly no half inches or anything).

And I agree with your sentiment that we need to let Troy be Troy. But if anything I think he proved on the collegiate level that he can be effective on the move and in the pocket, so that might hold true in the NFL.

Start TROY!!!!