Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Troy Smith

Re: Troy Smith

Like I've been saying all along, this system is a QB killer.

Yes, I said it when McNair was playing like crap. I said it when Boller, Blake and Wright were playing like crap.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    That's the problem though. You can point to a few games where Boller has been decent, but you seem to leave out the majority of games where Boller has been bad.
    It's literally been about 50/50. Boller has won 20 games you know.

No one is absolving Kyle Boller of his own issues. We know he has them. The question is how much of that development was hampered by the system. The same system that has retired Pro-Bowl QB's, and sent the rest to nowhereland.

Think about it. THE ONLY QB to actually succeed outside of the Ravens SO FAR (and it's just one season) has been Derek Anderson. Why do you think that is?

BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY HASN'T HAD TO PLAY HERE! The guy hasn't had to take a meaningful snap for Brian Billick. So he was able to get picked up and learn a whole new system before being put on the field and asked to play.

Coincidence? I think not.

That brings me to Troy Smith. I really don't give a shit if Troy Smith does or doesn't play this year. If he's the starter, I root for him like I root for everyone else.

Unfortunately, I don't see a scenerio under the current conditions that tells me he's going to succeed where many others have fallen. And it has nothing to do with his ability or past college career. I don't dislike Troy Smith, not even a little. Actually, I really have no real opinion one way or the other about him.

But think about it. Boller was handed the ball day one against the Steelers and just told not to lose. No pressure there, right? Just don't screw up. Great. So now let's say Troy is starting against Miami. What's the message there?

"Hey Troy. Listen the Dolphins are 0-13 dude. Here's the ball and your first NFL start. Don't let us be the team that becomes their only win of the season. Oh yeah, go without Todd Heap and Demetrius Williams. Oh and the defense will probably give up points because we IR'd Chris McAlister.

Good luck Troy."

Just great.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    "Hey Troy. Listen the Dolphins are 0-13 dude. Here's the ball and your first NFL start. Don't let us be the team that becomes their only win of the season. Oh yeah, go without Todd Heap and Demetrius Williams. Oh and the defense will probably give up points because we IR'd Chris McAlister.

Good luck Troy."

Just great.
    "Hey Kyle. Listen the Dolphins are 0-13 dude. Here's the ball and your however many NFL starts. Don't let us be the team that becomes their only win of the season. Oh yeah, go without Todd Heap and Demetrius Williams. Oh and the defense will probably give up points because we IR'd Chris McAlister.

See... it looks just the same. Just a different name. All I am saying is this. It does into matter to me at this point in the season. We clearly have more problems other than the QB position. So why not let Troy play?
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Like I've been saying all along, this system is a QB killer.

Yes, I said it when McNair was playing like crap. I said it when Boller, Blake and Wright were playing like crap.

A ball control offense makes a turnover five times as costly.
    But there again a ball control offense should take the pressure off of the QB.
    I put it down to the playcalling in certain situations, 3rd down and redzone.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    "Hey Kyle. Listen the Dolphins are 0-13 dude. Here's the ball and your however many NFL starts. Don't let us be the team that becomes their only win of the season. Oh yeah, go without Todd Heap and Demetrius Williams. Oh and the defense will probably give up points because we IR'd Chris McAlister.

See... it looks just the same. Just a different name. All I am saying is this. It does into matter to me at this point in the season. We clearly have more problems other than the QB position. So why not let Troy play?

That's an easy answer. Boller is already damaged goods. What harm is it in him playing? Troy Smith hasn't been damaged yet. So why take the chance of screwing him up too? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    A ball control offense makes a turnover five times as costly.
    But there again a ball control offense should take the pressure off of the QB.
    I put it down to the playcalling in certain situations, 3rd down and redzone.
    On a tangient, and this thread kind of deserves one, in the Indy game we regularly ran off tackle, right up the gut on 2d & 3d and short (1, 2 yards) if I remember correctly. And we got stuffed.

There is a difference between calling the right play in short yardage situations, and converting short yardage situations.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

That's an easy answer. Boller is already damaged goods. What harm is it in him playing? Troy Smith hasn't been damaged yet. So why take the chance of screwing him up too? ;)
    Now *there* you're talking my half-serious language, Stinger. ;)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Damaged in what way? physically? mentally?

I think for once Stinger was not being completely serious, 4G63. For which I give him many props. :)
    Festivus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post

But the main point for me is consistant play from that QB.No, not consistantly bad.But better than average,I'd settle for that than a turnover machine right now.
    What we need is someone like this guy:

13 TD's and 1 Int. 103.3 rating. Jacksonville is a lot like our team. Great defense and a good offense. They just have a QB that's mobile enough to make plays and DOESN'T turn the ball over!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I think for once Stinger was not being completely serious, 4G63. For which I give him many props. :)
    You're right, I didn't pay attention to the ;) at the end.......

Yes guys. It was a playful response to Dave's playful response to me. :D

I am not one to get in the way of the SPOTS movement, not to worry. :)