Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Troy Smith

Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    This is a great thread. I still cant believe hardcore huggers are still siding with Boller. anyway, I'm really enjoying this.
    I retired my Boller Hugger status for right now. I want to see something different.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I retired my Boller Hugger status for right now. I want to see something different.
    Thats a step in the right direction. We all want to see what TS has.

Boller is what he is. He's had his chances, now lets see someone else.

XM hook me up with a card, my number is OG1
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    :)

Stinger it's not about the OL and it's not about the wide receivers. It's not about the play calling, and certainly not about Trent Dilfer, Chris Redman, or clock management. It's not even about Kyle Boller. It's not about any of that, at least for me.

It's about wanting to watch Troy Smith under center, at the tail end of this lost season. That's it.

:hug:

And I don't begrudge anyone that point. But TT make a statement I had to challenge, because really we are potentially putting Troy Smith in the same "can't win" position that we've put everyone else in. I also see the side of wanting to play Troy Smith because the season is lost, AND the side that says the Ravens still need to win games first and that means putting your best options on the field.

Personally, my opinion has pretty much nothing to do with Troy Smith's abilities or college career. I'm not going to lie and pretend I watched him at OH. But I know the system he was drafted into. And it ain't good. I just don't know if I want to throw this poor guy in there and hope it doesn't do to him what it's done to everyone else.

That's all.

will send it your way in a few minutes.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    This is a great thread. I still cant believe hardcore huggers are still siding with Boller. anyway, I'm really enjoying this.

I can still believe it.

Once Bollerball™ travels to another NFL city and he has his one decent performance a season that same crowd will be posting how the Ravens should have kept him.:insane:
    A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins. - Benjamin Franklin

I just don't know if I want to throw this poor guy in there and hope it doesn't do to him what it's done to everyone else.
    Maybe you should want him to be thown in to this system, maybe it would prove to you, either way, that that its the system or QB. I still think its the QB. Mcnair still was able to guide the team to a great record last season. However this year he imploded due to injuries.

Derick Anderson is the only player who left here and is doing well at QB, he was on this team for about 4 preseason games.

Giving TS a chance gives the organization something else to go on next season. Maybe he will be the 3rd string, backup, or who knows maybe the starter...but we need to find out. We know what we have in Boller
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

All we are crying out for is a worthy QB to stand up and be able to lead this team.He doesn't have to be a Manning or Brady but that would be nice.I am looking for a QB who has better than average skills.

But the main point for me is consistant play from that QB.No, not consistantly bad.But better than average,I'd settle for that than a turnover machine right now.

I guess the constant poor play of QB over so many years in Baltimore makes Boller look like its the best its ever going to get around here.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

I guess when you really never have a legit #1 WR you stop understanding how important it is to have one. You're telling me having a receiver that could get open more, and not force the QB to throw into coverages all the time and get downfield more than twice a game opening up the other 2 receivers more often, that this would make no difference?

Wow is about all I can say to that.
    Okay Stinger, you win. We get a #1 receiver. Who throws the ball to him?

The same "who" that doesn't:
    -fumble
    -throw plenty of picks
    -know how to avoid a passrush / create more time
    -stare down primary receivers
    -not have the arm strength to make it to a deep threat
    -not over/under throw the receiver
    -etc....

Oh yeah Stinger, we've had a TE who bails our QBs out. We've had a great rushing attack (minus 2006). We've never put pressure on our offense to win games. All the offense had to do was NOT suck, and play even average. Protect leads.

We never needed a #1 WR until now, when our defense is beginning to crumble.

Boller and the offense couldn't even handle the pressure of that.

I mean seriously, you're going to sit here and defend and make excuses for a QB that isn't even good enough to protect leads, play smart, and be efficient? I can't even imagine how he plays when actual pressure is put on him to win games and lead an offense. You want to see that?

(oh yeah, I forgot, you'll use Boller's once-in-a-lifetime versus NE as the proof)...
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

This team needs to be fixed everywhere. It is not just a Boller issue. While I understand the disdain toward Kyle Boller, the problems are far deeper than the QB position. This team is decimated by injuries and all around incompetent play.

Is Boller a great or even good QB? Well, if you look at individual games against career, sure. He has played some great games. Over all career... meh, not so much. Flashes of greatness look amazing on game highlights but they do not make for consistent winning seasons.

We can point out the porousness of the O-Line. It is a valid point. The QB is under pressure more times than not. Maybe so, but there are QB's across this league that perform well and win games under pressure. No need to name them. they are all in the top 5 QB's. Boller most of the time is unaware of what is going on around him. He suffers from tunnel vision and visually locks onto his target in effect, telegraphing his pass with his eyes. That works fine when playing undisciplined Defenses. Too many players are students of the game and watch tons of game footage. They know the QB and know what he will do before he does. Staring down your receiver and holding the ball until that desired receiver gets separation from a defender allows way to much time for a pick to develop.

Aside from that, Boller throws a lot of beautiful tight spirals right into the numbers of the defender. Why? Poor mechanics. So many years in the league and he still makes rookie mistakes. Sometimes, it appears that he has not developed any further that the day he was drafted. Then there are games like the Pats game.

Who really knows. I do know this, that Kyle Boller is not the long term answer to this teams problems. Neither is he the sole problem. Do I think that if he is allowed enough time in the pocket that he can complete any pass? Sure. Any of us could. It is the fact that when protection falls apart that Boller shows his indecisiveness.

For the time being though, he is the starting QB for this team. I hope he does well. I would like to see the guy end this season on an up.

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    Okay Stinger, you win. We get a #1 receiver. Who throws the ball to him?

The same "who" that doesn't:
    -fumble
    -throw plenty of picks
    -know how to avoid a passrush / create more time
    -stare down primary receivers
    -not have the arm strength to make it to a deep threat
    -not over/under throw the receiver
    -etc....

Oh yeah Stinger, we've had a TE who bails our QBs out. We've had a great rushing attack (minus 2006). We've never put pressure on our offense to win games. All the offense had to do was NOT suck, and play even average. Protect leads.

We never needed a #1 WR until now, when our defense is beginning to crumble.

Boller and the offense couldn't even handle the pressure of that.

I mean seriously, you're going to sit here and defend and make excuses for a QB that isn't even good enough to protect leads, play smart, and be efficient? I can't even imagine how he plays when actual pressure is put on him to win games and lead an offense. You want to see that?

(oh yeah, I forgot, you'll use Boller's once-in-a-lifetime versus NE as the proof)...

Give me a break dude. You are absolutely off-hinge. I am in awe that someone would actually say "We never needed a #1 WR until now".

BTW......PSSST. Where's our bail-out TE been all year? Your selective memory is fascinating.

That is awesome copenhaggard. That is how winning teams think.

And here's a question, WHO and WHAT SYSTEM tells the QB's not to win games, just not to lose them? I guess that is all the QB's fault too. I'm sure Boller, and Redman, and McNair, and Blake, and on down started getting plays in their ears and had to call time-outs to go to the sidelines to plead with Billick not to run imaginative plays or send a WR deep.

Oh yeah, and if "I won", we'd have a actual #1 WR. But we don't. And it is a headscratcher to read someone type that we don't need one.

(oh, and I can point to more than just the NE game. Unfortunately your hatred has blinded you to anything but that as a response. Good work Copen. I see YBR has taught you well.)

All I will say is this.

There is most definitely some serious hypocrisy that has gone on this year with regards to the way the QBs get critiqued on this board.

And it's painfully obvious.

PP

(oh, and I can point to more than just the NE game. Unfortunately your hatred has blinded you to anything but that as a response. Good work Copen. I see YBR has taught you well.)
    That's the problem though. You can point to a few games where Boller has been decent, but you seem to leave out the majority of games where Boller has been bad.