Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Smith

Re: Troy Smith

Bottom line: Sure Boller has turned in a few good showings. But he is inconsistent. I like Boller and want him to succeed but how many chances does the guy get? If he is the starter so be it. I will still root for the guy and hope he performs well, but at this point, especially after the performance on Sunday, it is time to see what the rookie has. You say "after one bad performance" I turned on him. Boller has had WAAAAAAY more than one bad performance. He has had more average to poor showings than above competent to stellar performances.

Boller is not the answer long term for this team and to continue to think so is just plain silly. This season is a complete bust. Let us see Troy. That is all we are asking for.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

2. Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    You're totally missing the entire point. No one is going on and on about how "Troy Smith must be the Ravens QB now and Boller must die in a horrible car accident induced by mediocre offensive line play."

Personally, I am advocating that Smith get meaningful playing time this season. The Dolphins game seems like an ideal time to do so! My first post I think is a bit overreacting (starting...), but then again that happened to be the day after the loss to the Colts. Forgive me.

Let Smith get his feet wet this season in live action that is not "garbage time." That is the one thing all SPOTS bandwagoners wish to see!

Oh, if Boller plays as poorly the first half of the Miami game as he did against the Colts...can it really be THAT outrageous to let Smith play the second half?
    Agreed, I would wait for a very bad game in miami and then think about it. Still you dont want to go into next season with smith as your starter regardless of what he does whereas Boller can redeem himself in the next three games.(getting Heap back would help, is he going to be back this season?)
    BTW - Running every time you step back to pass is not necessarily a good thing. Its best to try to pass, and run if nothing is there and you have room to go.
    Last edited by Ravenbird; 12-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.

3. Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Could perform better. Could perform worse. You have not answered the question. . . In a lost season. . .

WHY THE HELL NOT?
    See above post. Who else are you starting next season? My main point is that believe it or not Boller is still the best option for this team next season. Tell me who you realistically think will be a better option? Don't let the excitement from the last game get the better of you!

4. Re: Troy Smith

Question-
    When was the last time Boller played poorly with decent protection?
    When was the last time any qb played consistently well behind a poor line without 2 of his top 4 receivers?
    All I am saying is that the notion that "we know what we have in bolller" is flawed.

please try to use paragraph breaks where appropriate. Folks around here can get testy if you repeatedly hit them with a wall of text.
    Festivus, I saw that and immediately thought of you posting the ref icon and throwing the penalty flag. :)
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Ravenbird,
    All people are saying is that in a lost season, when we have a QB on the bench who showed a glimmer of hope in the last game, why not trot him out and see what he can do? How about the Ravens bringing him out in the second half unless Boller is having a career game?

Then, if Troy shows some promise, they give him extended time in the last two games to see if he perhaps could be "the guy". I would LOVE to see Troy beat up on the Steelers. Or Boller. Or anybody, for that matter.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbird View Post
    Question-
    When was the last time Boller played poorly with decent protection?
    When was the last time any qb played consistently well behind a poor line without 2 of his top 4 receivers?
    All I am saying is that the notion that "we know what we have in bolller" is flawed.
    How is it flawed? The guy has been here for 5 years! If we don't know what we have in him now we never will. Yes Kyle gets pressure and deals with injuries, but every QB does. The difference between a good QB and bad QB is how they deal with those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbird View Post
    Which would lead to the next question- how can one game make you change your opinion.
    LOL.

Believe me, it's not one game that's made anyone change their opinion.

Why do you act like we've only seen Boller for a few games?

PP

It's just that this is a great time for Smith to get plently of game experince without the pressure to "win" games. Look we all want the Ravens to win every game, but at the end of the day, were not making the playoffs our season is over. Giving Smith a good amount of playing time might let us know whether or not we need to draft a QB, or sign a FA.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    How is it flawed? The guy has been here for 5 years! If we don't know what we have in him now we never will. Yes Kyle gets pressure and deals with injuries, but every QB does. The difference between a good QB and bad QB is how they deal with those situations.
    No offense TT, but name me a playoff QB right now that has had to deal with anything REMOTELY like McNair and Boller have had to deal with this year, or any of our last 10 QB's.

Troy Smith doesn't know the playbook. Every pass play is the same. He looks right, he looks left, then runs out the pocket to play street ball. He needs to make some plays that shows he is reading a defense. If he can do that, he might have a future.

Right. So LET HIM PLAY!

:D
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!