Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Smith

Blog Entries

Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    Why when some people speak the truth,should it be deemed hatred?

This Troy movement is just for us to see what #10 has got to give this team.
    He has been learning the playbook all season.He has a winless team up next.
    A great way of breaking the kid in early.

What new things are you going to learn about Boller playing the Dolphins a winless team?

We don't hate Kyle Boller,we just know what we have in Kyle Boller.And with three games remaining what more is there to see?
    Couldn't have said it any better......

Billick is the coach, he gets the call here. If Boller stinks it up big time in the first half, Smith needs to come in and after his performance I think it's worth taking a look.

He's a great leader.
    Just win baby...

Ya, agreed. If the game is out of whack - either way - count on Smith coming in.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbird View Post
    I disagree with all of you. The Boller hatred is incomprehensible, really. The best way to properly judge a qb is relative to the other person who played qb that year with that team.Almost everyone (media and fans) have come to the conclusion that Boller won't be even an average starting qb after last game. The fact that Steve McNair looked so bad when he played this year in a non factor? Did he suddenly go from being the "great" Steve to being the "horrible" Steve in one game? The answer is that he was not so great last year and was not so bad this year, he declined a little bit (what you wound expect from one year to the next with a 33 year old) but he was playing with a much worse line, and the last 2 games did not have Todd Heap and Demetrius Williams. So comes along Boller and looks better that McNair (much better if we want to be honest), but is deemed inconsistent to the extent that he is toast. So I ask do we throw Troy Smith in the same fire? I have no opinion at all on him, but I do know that he would have to be great to look ok and its not worth it. Its still worth looking at Boller hoping there will we better protection, and seeing if its ok going into next year with him.
    Welcome to the boards Mr. Boller!

For the record, if you read any of my posts, i never say I hate Boller. Quite the opposite actually.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

5. Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Welcome to the boards Mr. Boller!

For the record, if you read any of my posts, i never say I hate Boller. Quite the opposite actually.
    Which would lead to the next question- how can one game make you change your opinion. The point is that most level headed people would agree that the odds are strong that Boller would a better option than Smith for next year. There is a small chance that Smith is the next Tom Brady (or at least a good caliber starting qb), but that is not likely and most likely not so soon in his pro career.

Therefore, it would follow - being that there will probably not be a star qb in the free agent market, and the team does not have that much cap room, and it is not wise to start a rookie qb ever - that Kyle Boller still is the best option going into next season. Therefore it would be wise to give him the next three games and see if we can get a better picture (and if he does play badly then you would have to look elsewhere) . I know he has "Had his chances
    so many times", "you know what you are going to get with him" but if you take a step back for a second you may realize that he really was not given so much of a chance since he was benched last season.

If he is in fact a good qb, what would we have expected from him while he plays behind a horrific o-line, with 2 of his top 4 receivers out? The fact is that before the end of 2005, he was labeled as bad, not inconsistent. I would argue that he is not unnecessarily the one who is inconsistent, its the whole team - the line specifically.

I also attribute the play calling to his lack of successes at times. John Madden despite his thinking nothing of Boller pointed out that he has no chance because they were running on first and second down, and if they were not successful, he would be stuck in a third and long with no protection. This is exactly what happened in the first half against Cleveland and Buffalo,as well as many of the times that he was deemed bad this year. I felt all along that they need to pass first, have some successful passes, and that will prevent them from loading up on the run and open up the game. That is what happened in the second half in Cleveland and the NE game(when he completed that long pass, from then and on the run was much more successfully because they had to worry about the pass as well) .

I know I am on an island when it comes to this, but I think that it has alot to do with pre-conceived notions.
    Last edited by Ravenbird; 12-12-2007 at 09:28 PM.

I don't think the real idea is to totally yank Boller...it's about getting Smith some playing time to see what is there.

When it's all said and done, it's Billick's call this year at the very least (maybe more years if he stays around).

Smith showed something in "garbage time" against Indy. Many of us would like to see him get a chance to show what he can do during this season. The improvement from pre-season to the Colts game impressed me.

At minimum, if Boller is playing like he did last week after the first half or just the whole game in general, it would be nice to see what Smith can do.

I understand your defenses of Boller and the reasons mentioned. But there are a few things worth taking a peak at....the New England game is the best Boller EVER did at improvisation on the run. Smith pops in against Indy, the pocket breaks down and he's already doing the same as, or better than, Boller in those break down situations.

Free Agent QB: Yes, there is nothing there at this point and I also agree that signing McNabb is a mistake waiting to happen, at least for this team.

Anyhow, this isn't Boller hatred or anything to do with that...it's about giving Troy Smith a chance to prove himself, to be able to show why he might be the answer (or not even). As for level heads, I don't think anyone has any idea of what Smith might do in this league. Boller certainly has the edge in experience and familiarity with the offensive scheme, players, and coaches, but time will tell.

Caveat: I CERTAINLY don't want to throw some 1st rounder into the fire at the beginning of next year. Maybe week 12 if there is development, maybe wait until the next season. Some guys play well right off, but I think sitting would be the right move here. Of course I may be wrong, lots of time between now and the draft!
    Just win baby...

Which would lead to the next question- how can one game make you change your opinion. The point is that most level headed people would agree that the odds are strong that Boller would a better option than Smith for next year.
    Dude pass that shit over here. I'm looking to get zooted too. =)

I disagree with all of you. The Boller hatred is incomprehensible, really.
    Nobody is hating on Boller, we just love troy and want him to win some games for us...thats all.

Keep in mind some poor chap is sitting on a roof hoping that the ravens win a game so that he can go home.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

8. Re: Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Dude pass that shit over here. I'm looking to get zooted too. =)
    Are you telling me that you would bet on smith preforming better then boller right now? If yes then tell me what you are drinking? I am not saying that it is not possible, just that it is less than likely and at this point not worth trying .

Are you telling me that you would bet on smith preforming better then boller right now? If yes then tell me what you are drinking? I am not saying that it is not possible, just that it is less than likely and at this point not worth trying .
    You're totally missing the entire point. No one is going on and on about how "Troy Smith must be the Ravens QB now and Boller must die in a horrible car accident induced by mediocre offensive line play."

Personally, I am advocating that Smith get meaningful playing time this season. The Dolphins game seems like an ideal time to do so! My first post I think is a bit overreacting (starting...), but then again that happened to be the day after the loss to the Colts. Forgive me.

Let Smith get his feet wet this season in live action that is not "garbage time." That is the one thing all SPOTS bandwagoners wish to see!

Oh, if Boller plays as poorly the first half of the Miami game as he did against the Colts...can it really be THAT outrageous to let Smith play the second half?
    Just win baby...

stop crapping in our pudding.

Boller is not getting the job done and I think we are all ready to see something new at QB. He doesnt know the system. if he did we wouldnt have a 37-7 scoreboard at halftime.

some peoples tollerance for boller has subsided. its Nothing personal.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    stop crapping in our pudding.
    That's probably what I should have said. Thanks
    Just win baby...

Could perform better. Could perform worse. You have not answered the question. . . In a lost season. . .

WHY THE HELL NOT?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.