Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Ozzie's Surprise Pick at #16 - Who?

At Ozzie's presser a week or two ago, he mentioned in passing (IIRC) that "a lot of people might be surprised at who I pick at #16, if we are picking at #16" - or words to that effect. He could have been blowing smoke, but he didn't give anything away - I think he was just being playful.

He may well have been thinking of someone specific. If so, who do you think it was?

My guess is Derrius Guice.

Guice is a mid to late first round talent and a playmaker. One scout gave his pro comp as Marshawn Lynch. There has been almost no draft talk of RBs to the Ravens, or about any RB in the first round after Barkley and before ca Pittsburgh, where the talk is also Guice.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Re: Ozzie's Surprise Pick at #16 - Who?

I've been all about him and would be fine with the pick. But I honestly don't think there will be any surprise, just gm/coach talk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Maybe it'll be Joe Flacco surprised that they're trading up to take his replacement.

4. Re: Ozzie's Surprise Pick at #16 - Who?

There will be no surprise, except that there will be no surprise, which, in and of itself, is quite surprising.

Blog Entries

I second the notion that the pick will not be the least bit surprising.

I 100% guarantee you that it is Lamar Jackson. All signs point to the fact that they are legitimately considering him.

Take these factors:

- Looking at the QBs that Marty and Roman have had in the past, it's possible that they have chimed in on wanting an athletic QB like LJ to fit their system and chances of them getting one as athletic as LJ in a few years from now are slim to none.

- It fits the way that the Ravens have always been built to win football games. Play defense and run the football down the opponents throats to keep the defense rested on the sideline. What better way to do that than with a QB that can run?

- Having LJ, a guy that can make plays on his own gives them the perfect excuse to continue to draft and build on the defense instead of the offense.

Everyone here knows that I want Ridley but I'm mentally prepared for the strong possibility that it's gonna be Lamar Jackson walking up that stage for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I 100% guarantee you that it is Lamar Jackson. All signs point to the fact that they are legitimately considering him.

Take these factors:

- Looking at the QBs that Marty and Roman have had in the past, it's possible that they have chimed in on wanting an athletic QB like LJ to fit their system and chances of them getting one as athletic as LJ in a few years from now are slim to none.

- It fits the way that the Ravens have always been built to win football games. Play defense and run the football down the opponents throats to keep the defense rested on the sideline. What better way to do that than with a QB that can run?

- Having LJ, a guy that can make plays on his own gives them the perfect excuse to continue to draft and build on the defense instead of the offense.

Everyone here knows that I want Ridley but I'm mentally prepared for the strong possibility that it's gonna be Lamar Jackson walking up that stage for us.
    How do you feel about it if it is LJ

“I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

The last two times we picked at about this position (#16-#17), we did pick surprises: 2014 C J Moseley, who surprisingly fell; and 2017 Marlon Humphrey.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

I think a surprise would be trading back, and it's certainly possible.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think a surprise would be trading back, and it's certainly possible.
    Definitely not a surprise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I second the notion that the pick will not be the least bit surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Definitely not a surprise
    I agree, it'll be like my sister-in-law telling me, "Bc, I only put on 15 lbs last month! Isn't that great?" Yeah, some surprise... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    How do you feel about it if it is LJ

The optimistic side of me will be excited because of what an exciting player he is and hes gonna give us some fireworks from the very beginning.

The other side of me is just mixed feelings. QBs like him are so difficult to truly measure how good they will be in the NFL because we have seen success out of them but it fully depends on how this person is used and if he makes wise decisions in accordance to what he's good and isn't good at. His choice to not show off his strengths in the combine is incredibly concerning because if he tries to play like a player that he isn't, he'll fail hard.

But looking at his college #s which look like straight up madden 99 overall numbers on rookie mode, you can see that he knew how to play to his strengths at that level because both his rushing and passing numbers are impressive.

Having Marty, helps his case.

If we could get something similar to what Marty got from Vick when he was his OC in 2010

3018 passing yards 21 TD 8 INT
    676 rushing yards 9 rushing touchdowns

On top of Collins/Dixon, a stout defense and a kicker that never misses, we're gonna be dangerous.