Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Ravens Mock

A Ravens Mock

I’d be very happy if Lamar Jackson became a Raven, but with a coaching staff on the very hot seat and needing to win now, use of high draft assets for a talented but risky QB who needs to develop seems a longshot. That is unfortunate.

The choice of McGlinchey or a wide receiver looks to be the most likely pick options at 16, and good arguments can be made for either. Each fills a need, McGlinchey perhaps more so given this draft’s relative OT scarcity vs WR plenty. He’s a plug-in at RT. We’ve seen a lot of DJ Moore around here and he’d be a contributing, productive wideout. His skills with the ball in his hands are a big plus and give us something we lack. Same with Ridley, whether you label either as a "true#1" or not. Both get high marks for separation, important here where our current ‘glance & dump’ QB too often needs to quickly see an open receiver. The moment of truth for the Ravens will come if the draft gods leave a highly ranked defensive stud (R Smith, Fitzpatrick, Ward, James, Landry, Edmunds, Davenport . . ? ) on the board at 16 and Need vs BPA stares us in the face. We can’t pass on that kind of talent . . . can we?

One need we can’t fill from our current roster is a TE who can make chunk plays and threaten the defense. Goedert, Gesicki, Hurst, Andrews would all provide this, but because of their blocking challenges don’t grade out at 16. A possible trade down to later in the first, getting another pick in the talent rich 2d or 3d rounds, works well for us. I’ve used a trade down with Atlanta, 16 for 26 & 58, as an example . . .

26 - Dallas Goedert TE (he’s going to be a star and will give us exactly what we need, a big man who can run, catch, and make plays down the field)

52 - Orlando Brown OT (I originally had Tyrell Crosby here but my gut tells me Son of Zeus will be a Raven)

58 - Anthony Miller WR (a competitive playmaker who reminds me of Antonio Brown; this pick can be whatever flavor of WR we like best that’s still available)

83 - Mike White QB (solid passer who has a chance to develop into a starter; this could also be Lauletta; the Ravens will take a QB in this draft;)

118- Hercules Mata’afa LB (alt. pick Fred Warner or Christian Sam) (Herc is a bit of a tweener and needs to show he can play ILB, but this guy plays like a Raven; Warner and Sam are both athletic and can run, and would be an upgrade)

154- Will Clapp C (aggressive, strong, good sized, versatile if unathletic starter prospect)

190- Darius Phillips CB (smallish, athletic playmaking CB & KR with a nose for the end zone when the ball is in his hands)

215- Ito Smith RB/KR (another smaller guy, but a productive, elusive back and return man who can catch and make big plays) (love Nyheim Hines in this role for us but he’s gone on Friday)

238- Jeremy Reaves S (aggressive cover man with good ball skills, can also play CB)

As I’ve said before, the hard part in doing this is not finding players you like and who can help us, but trying to figure where they will come off the board.

Welcome your thoughts!

Re: A Ravens Mock

I've seen the highlights and seen Goedert play in person (FCS playoffs at JMU). For the life of me, I can't understand the eagerness to spend a first round pick on him. I haven't seen that kind of talent. His blocking deficiencies are well documented. He's a stiff route runner and easy to bring down after the catch. He has a lot of height and good hands, so I guess he's a perfect fit for Ravens 3rd down play selection - 5 yard hook on 3rd and 6. Not a first rounder in my book.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRaven View Post
    I've seen the highlights and seen Goedert play in person (FCS playoffs at JMU). For the life of me, I can't understand the eagerness to spend a first round pick on him. I haven't seen that kind of talent. His blocking deficiencies are well documented. He's a stiff route runner and easy to bring down after the catch. He has a lot of height and good hands, so I guess he's a perfect fit for Ravens 3rd down play selection - 5 yard hook on 3rd and 6. Not a first rounder in my book.
    All the Tight Ends in this draft seem to be pushed up because it's such a position of need in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    All the Tight Ends in this draft seem to be pushed up because it's such a position of need in the league.
    GOTA - Agreed. But, that was the same situation when they picked Maxx. Not sure the Ravens need that again.

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleRaven View Post
    GOTA - Agreed. But, that was the same situation when they picked Maxx. Not sure the Ravens need that again.
    Maxx was the top tight end in his class and went in the second.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: A Ravens Mock

Quote Originally Posted by ravensromp View Post
    26 - Dallas Goedert TE (he’s going to be a star and will give us exactly what we need, a big man who can run, catch, and make plays down the field)

52 - Orlando Brown OT (I originally had Tyrell Crosby here but my gut tells me Son of Zeus will be a Raven)

58 - Anthony Miller WR (a competitive playmaker who reminds me of Antonio Brown; this pick can be whatever flavor of WR we like best that’s still available)

83 - Mike White QB (solid passer who has a chance to develop into a starter; this could also be Lauletta; the Ravens will take a QB in this draft;)
    I would totally dislike this draft! There are several TEs who IMO would be good choices in the 2nd or 3rd, but not in the 1st round. Don't like O. Brown after his combine showing and seemingly pretty poor physical shape. Miller (WR) and White (QB) are OK in the 3rd and 4th, but that doesn't make up for two misses in the earliest rounds... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Yes. It's worse now than it was 3 years ago

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I wanted Jessie James...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I wanted Jessie James...

I want Jessie James now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Goedert more than others apparently. What I see is a big man who can run, catch, and make big plays down the field. A playmaker with abilities the tight ends currently on the roster don’t have. I think that talent be a big plus for the O.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensromp View Post
    I like Goedert more than others apparently. What I see is a big man who can run, catch, and make big plays down the field. A playmaker with abilities the tight ends currently on the roster don’t have. I think that talent be a big plus for the O.
    I wouldn't mind him if Ozzie traded down into the 20's and got another 2nd. Otherwise, I'm not happy with him @ #16... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I wouldn't mind him if Ozzie traded down into the 20's and got another 2nd. Otherwise, I'm not happy with him @ #16... Bc
    That was my thought, too. ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk