Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

War on Drugs: Good or Bad?

We have a drug problem in this country. Unless you live under a rock you have heard of the "opioid epidemic" and probably have friends and family that were affected by it. And cannabis is now legal for medical purposes in nearly half of the states. It's pretty clear that the war on drugs, started by Nixon in the 1970's isn't working. There have been many potential solutions suggested, and each country is tackling the issue differently. For example....

Singapore/Phillipines, and other SE Asian countries, executes drug dealers and users. Singapore has virtually no drug problem although they have killed many of their citizens for what many people consider victim less crimes. The Phillipines started this policy recently and the drug problem is rapidly disappearing. Thousands of people have been killed, often by vigilantes, for merely being suspected of possessing or using drugs. Trump has praised this approach.

In general, the United States arrests and jails any drug users, although many states are becoming more progressive on this issue. Oregon recently decriminalized minor possession of all drugs, referring addicts to rehab instead of jail. In many states, particularly on the west coast, cannabis is available to almost anyone. In Washington DC, there is a web site with a directory of people who will sell cannabis to anybody who is over 21. Trump has stated that he will respect the rights of the states to legalize cannabis, although he would like to build a border wall to stop drugs from coming into the country. Each state differs on its prosecution of drug offenses, and many people feel that drugs should be a states issue, not a federal one.

Canada is another country that has been hit hard by the opioid epidemic. Oxycodone was prescribed freely there from the late 90's until 2010 or so. As a result, there are tens of thousands of opioid addicts. Since there is not much heroin in Canada (they aren't as close to Mexico), the drug of choice is a chemical called Fentanyl, which has a lethal dose of about 2 Milligrams. Many people have died as a result of abusing this drug. Canada has tried to reduce the harm caused by drug addiction. One of the main strategies has been the introduction of safe injection sites. Drug users get access to fresh needles and are supervised by nurses armed with Narcan, the overdose reversal antidote. No patient has ever died in one of these sites. They also have prescription heroin for people who are still addicted after going through rehab, methadone maintenance, and are basically considered "lost causes". They have even gone so far as to introduce vending machines where drug addicts can buy Hydromorphone, a semi-synthetic opioid. In theory, this will cut down on the number of overdoses from the deadly Fentanyl. Cannabis is decriminalized across the country and is available to anyone by mail-order from sites like bulkcrop.ca.

Portugal- Decriminalized all drugs. Addicts are forced to go to rehab instead of jailed. They have had a drastic reduction in addiction and the crime that inevitably results from addiction. HIV/AIDS has been almost eliminated through needle exchanges. The fiscal load on the taxpayer has been greatly reduced as a result of these policies. Drug dealers are still prosecuted. Decriminalizing drugs has worked very well for Portugal, although some people doubt its success would translate to the United States.

What is your stance on the war on drugs? Should drugs be decriminalized, legalized? Should we have harsher penalties for drug users?

I am in favor of decriminalizing all drugs, because it seems to make sense both fiscally and morally. Having been to prison myself, I noticed about 80-90 percent of the prisoners I was incarcerated with were in jail as a result of non violent drug offenses, either possession, sale, or charges related to addiction (credit card fraud, shoplifting, etc.)

Prison is also full of mentally ill people. Many people with mental illnesses self medicate with drugs as a way to feel normal and function in society. I met a schizophrenic heroin addict who said that the drug sedated him to the point where he could work and rent his own apartment. He was arrested after failing to signal a turn on an empty road at 1 AM. The cops found drugs in the car and he was arrested, life ruined, etc. While in prison he was a victim of violence and sexual assault which resulted in even more psychological issues. He was sedated with Seroquel to the point where he was basically a zombie.

It is stories like this that make me say, decriminalize all drugs. People with a mental health problem should not be punished, it achieves nothing. They should be treated and monitored by professionals. I know the police union and the prison guard union are powerful and try to stop this. It would be bad for their business. The for profit prisons love the drug war as well. Prosecuting drug users has developed into a billion dollar industry. But thats just my spiel. What's your take on the drug war?

Blog Entries

Re: War on Drugs: Good or Bad?

I am against the War on Drugs. It’s expensive, it’s been going on for what...40 years? It’s not effective.

I’m very Libertarian when it comes to drugs. I see it as a personal choice. I don’t care if you want to smoke, drink, or whatever. If you’re not hurting someone else or infringing on someone else’s rights, there is no crime as far as I’m concerned. Just someone potentially not making good choices, but hey, that’s their prerogative and none of my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am against the War on Drugs. It’s expensive, it’s been going on for what...40 years? It’s not effective.

I’m very Libertarian when it comes to drugs. I see it as a personal choice. I don’t care if you want to smoke, drink, or whatever. If you’re not hurting someone else or infringing on someone else’s rights, there is no crime as far as I’m concerned. Just someone potentially not making good choices, but hey, that’s their prerogative and none of my business.

I agree with you, and I think most of the country does as well. The problem is that the drug war is a gold mine for a lot of powerful people. Police would rather arrest stoners than chase after murderers and rapists. And Prison guard would be out of work without all the drug offenders that are locked up. Same with the people who own and invest in building prisons. Even the drug-testing industry is getting filthy rich off of it. I could go on and on but basically I think that a lot of powerful unions are lobbying politicians to keep the harsh drug laws in place.

Great post New!
    I like many have had the misfortune of having drug addiction enter my life.
    The War On Drugs is a flat out joke. I truly believe in my heart that our greed driven politicians and law enforcement are in on the drug trade. To me that’s the sole reason we went to Vietnam and now Afghanistan. We need opium. You can’t legalize all drugs because some like Heroin, Ocy, meth and other are just flat out deadly. I’m 100% for legal pot. I’ve never met a violent or angry pothead. I do think rehab ( real rehab not some bullshit methadone clinic ) should be the first option for anyone arrested for possession of a serious drug. Very few dealers aren’t also users. The problem with “forced rehab” is if the user doesn’t want to get well...it won’t work. I’m for the execution method for dealers. I’d personally love to slowly execute my daughters dealer. But I digress....that’s not gonna happen in this bleeding heart country.
    If the prison system wasn’t for profit we’d be better off. Call me a broken record but the very easy solution to the War on Drugs is like a lot of other issues /problems we have...exorcism of all the Greed /Money hungry politicians from office in DC and the States and watch how easy it is to stop social problems.
    I’ll stop here before I go off on a “tin foil hat” rant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I agree with you, and I think most of the country does as well. The problem is that the drug war is a gold mine for a lot of powerful people. Police would rather arrest stoners than chase after murderers and rapists. And Prison guard would be out of work without all the drug offenders that are locked up. Same with the people who own and invest in building prisons. Even the drug-testing industry is getting filthy rich off of it. I could go on and on but basically I think that a lot of powerful unions are lobbying politicians to keep the harsh drug laws in place.
    The entire judicial system/prison system needs an overhaul as far as I’m concerned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Great post New!
    The War On Drugs is a flat out joke. I truly believe in my heart that our greed driven politicians and law enforcement are in on the drug trade. To me that’s the sole reason we went to Vietnam and now Afghanistan. We need opium. You can’t legalize all drugs because some like Heroin, Ocy, meth and other are just flat out deadly. I’m 100% for legal pot. I’ve never met a violent or angry pothead. I do think rehab ( real rehab not some bullshit methadone clinic ) should be the first option for anyone arrested for possession of a serious drug. Very few dealers aren’t also users. The problem with “forced rehab” is if the user doesn’t want to get well...it won’t work. I’m for the execution method for dealers. I’d personally love to slowly execute my daughters dealer. But I digress....that’s not gonna happen in this bleeding heart country.
    If the prison system wasn’t for profit we’d be better off. Call me a broken record but the very easy solution to the War on Drugs is like a lot of other issues /problems we have...exorcism of all the Greed /Money hungry politicians from office in DC and the States and watch how easy it is to stop social problems.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all that drug epidemics in this country often have links with where we are “positioned” in the world...

I know for a fact that we have sever members of our military basically guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan. That shit is big money man.

The entire judicial system/prison system needs an overhaul as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all that drug epidemics in this country often have links with where we are “positioned” in the world...

I know for a fact that we have sever members of our military basically guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan. That shit is big money man.

Same. I joined the military after the high school with a few close friends, each different services. One of them, on his first 9 month deployment was to Afghanistan to guard a poppy field. He was the most patriotic out of all of us. He did his 4 years and got out. Became completely disillusioned that his country when send him half way around the world to guard drugs.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Yes sir. Drugs were actually at the root of the Air America scandal after Vietnam.

They killed Pat Tillman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    They killed Pat Tillman.
    I don’t think they purposely killed him, but they definitely tried to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Great post New!

I agree about the politicians and law enforcement profiting from the drug war. Its a nasty thing when people value money over the lives of others. The reason I would advocate legalizing all drugs is it would immediately put the drug cartels out of business. It wouldn't be available to everyone, you would have to have a prescription. If my daughter was addicted to heroin I would rather her be able to buy clean heroin that isn't laced with nasty chemicals like bug spray or rat poison, and isn't bought from an armed felon in a dangerous area. And I would want for her to inject it with a clean needle while under the supervision of a medical professional. That's what I think we have to try next.

War on Drugs: Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I agree about the politicians and law enforcement profiting from the drug war. Its a nasty thing when people value money over the lives of others. The reason I would advocate legalizing all drugs is it would immediately put the drug cartels out of business. It wouldn't be available to everyone, you would have to have a prescription. If my daughter was addicted to heroin I would rather her be able to buy clean heroin that isn't laced with nasty chemicals like bug spray or rat poison, and isn't bought from an armed felon in a dangerous area. And I would want for her to inject it with a clean needle while under the supervision of a medical professional. That's what I think we have to try next.
    Very true. There is some merit to legal drugs. In your OG post it seems to work in other countries. A lot of the mental health issues you spoke would be fixed with a viable health care plan. Start with the VA and then fix everyone else’s. How bout Congress gets the health care the Vets coming home from AssGanastan get and the Vets get theirs for a year??? Bet they’d vote to fix the shit outa the VA. !! Regular mental health plays into soo many things. The Parkland shooting. Kid had some serious mental issues. Hell Johnny Menziel has mental issues and was self medicating.

Last edited by Laxdad24; 04-19-2018 at 12:36 AM.