Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: War on Drugs: Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    That number is so minuscule that it's meaningless. Especially when you try to float out numbers like 80-90%
    I noticed about 80-90 percent of the prisoners I was incarcerated with were in jail as a result of non violent drug offenses, either possession, sale, or charges related to addiction (credit card fraud, shoplifting, etc.)
    44,000 is not miniscule or meaningless, and that is the number of people incarcerated for simple drug possession in state prisons only. If you want to include all drug charges, as I did in my quote, the number grows to 2.2 million, in prison, CURRENTLY. Not lifetime. You aren't going to prove your point here because you are simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    44,000 is not miniscule or meaningless, and that is the number of people incarcerated for simple drug possession in state prisons only. If you want to include all drug charges, as I did in my quote, the number grows to 2.2 million, in prison, CURRENTLY. Not lifetime. You aren't going to prove your point here because you are simply wrong.
    And how many of those are for dealing????
    How many of those are for multiple violations???
    Are many of those are plead down from more serious charges???

So, no there are not 2.2 million people in prison for simply doing drugs. Heck that's about the total prison population. I guess none are in there for violent crimes or anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Bullshit in regards to Marijuanna not harmful. Todays society has made it so main stream the way they sensationalize it on TV and social media. Half the kids today wear clothing brands with that stuff on it. It absolutely stunts the development of a teenagers brain. I don't want to hear that bullshit because that is exactly what it is. Conjecture from a daily pot smoker. They are mass marketing it to teenagers.
    I'm not a scientist, but I would venture that prescription drugs are likely far more dangerous, long term for teens than marijuana is.

However, anything that is abused is harmful or can be harmful. Salt, sugar, red meat, eggs, chicken, tuna fish, the sun...all of those things can be detrimental to someone if abused.

Regarding teens using it or trying to use it, I don't think you're ever going to truly stop that. It's no different than teens getting or trying to get booze. If there is a will, there's a way. Additionally, this is one argument for legalization and regulation of marijuana. Treat it similarly to alcohol.

A lot of the things you're saying now about marijuana are strikingly similar to things folks were saying about alcohol during prohibition.

The reality is marijuana isn't nearly as dangerous for people as some would have you believe, but if someone abuses it then it can absolutely have negative impacts on your life or those around you.

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1
    Yes Sanctions on Pharmaceutical companies. Think back just 15-20 years ago. When I walked into my local CVS or Rite Aid you would wait 15 min to get it filled. The shelves would have a few bags waiting to be picked up. Now, its hundreds of bags on the shelves, they have them stacked on the floors. My CVS used to be 3-4 employees. Now it is almost 20 people back there.

Absolutely ridiculous. That is just in the last 15 years or so.

These doctors are way over prescribing shit. I feel perfectly healthy, i go to a doctor and they will be prescribing me something. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone who sugar coats legalizing drugs spends entirely too much time getting high with them I guess.
    The Healthcare Industry in general has a lot to do with this. Doctors prescribe things to people, which fuels the pharmaceutical industry, which then charges back to healthcare organizations, which pay the doctors. It's a big circle.

I think most people can live fully happy and healthy lives by following some simple strategies:
    1. Get off your ass and move. Daily. [lift, walk, run, jog, bike, yard work, house work, wood work, something physical]
    2. Dont eat shitty food habitually.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Marijuana by itself is really not that harmful, on a physiological basis. However, I do call BS on people that say lung cancer or cancer related to smoking isn't an issue with smoking marijuana. The act of smoking is, inherently, "cooking" your lungs, throat, stomach, etc. So...yea...I think that's total bunk.
    As a medical marijuana patient I agree with you 100%. Inhaling smoke into your lungs, throat, stomach is going to inflict some sort of damage. It just might not be as severe as say cigarettes. That's why a lot of medical marijuana and marijuana users in general are switching to vaporizing, tinctures, topicals, and edibles. You can get the same effects in much safer forms.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    And how many of those are for dealing????
    How many of those are for multiple violations???
    Are many of those are plead down from more serious charges???

So, no there are not 2.2 million people in prison for simply doing drugs. Heck that's about the total prison population. I guess none are in there for violent crimes or anything.
    I meant to put 1.2 million, not 2.2 million. 46-48 percent of people in federal or state prison have their highest charge being some drug related offense. 22-23 Percent of that 1.2 million are for Possession. Besides, most people convicted of dealing drugs are never caught red handed actually dealing the substances. They are just caught in possession of over X amount, usually more than you can use in a few days, and charged as a dealer.

1.25 million arrests were made for simple possession in the US last year (85 percent of drug arrests), with penalties ranging from probation to fines to prison, depending on the amount. This is affecting millions of people every year.

And for the person above, smoking cannabis does not cause lung cancer the same way smoking tobacco does. It has a different effect on the lungs and is not carcinogenic.
    Last edited by New !; 04-23-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I meant to put 1.2 million, not 2.2 million. 46-48 percent of people in federal or state prison have their highest charge being some drug related offense. 22-23 Percent of that 1.2 million are for Possession. Besides, most people convicted of dealing drugs are never caught red handed actually dealing the substances. They are just caught in possession of over X amount, usually more than you can use in a few days, and charged as a dealer.

1.25 million arrests were made for simple possession in the US last year (85 percent of drug arrests), with penalties ranging from probation to fines to prison, depending on the amount. This is affecting millions of people every year.

And for the person above, smoking cannabis does not cause lung cancer the same way smoking tobacco does. It has a different effect on the lungs and is not carcinogenic.
    I don’t know if I fully buy that. It’s still smoke. You’re still introducing hot smoke into your body. That’s going to do damage at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I live in Arnold, not far from where this happened. I've been following the story. Where did you here these details? I've only heard he's been charged with vehicular manslaughter and was in possession of a CDS. Nothing about the Narcan.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CDS was an opiod and he was under the influence. There have been a lot of issues lately with that in AA County. An 81 year old woman from Arnold was just killed in a head on collision and the driver of the other vehicle was high. This was I think 10:00 am. I live in a nice neighborhood and we get junkies that will walk through in the middle of the night and steal the change and anything they can sell from your car.
    Saw we're over 300 ods and 59 dead when I drove past the police station this morning in aa County. Insane.

Capital gazette said the driver was unconscious without a pulse, but ems revived him (looked it up even I saw Saw's comment)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

On the topic of legalizing pot. There is still monumental problems that arise from that. Dispensaries would then be robbed the same way people are now robbing pharmacies.

You bring up pain killers as an epidemic you are correct. The government could easily fix that problem overnight. But they choose not too. They could impose sanctions on these companies but they don't.

You bring up the aspect of them being somewhat legal if you have a prescription right? Well, you do know there is now a booming market for fake pharmaceuticals right? People go to Mexico everyday to buy stuff because its cheaper than in the US, some real, some fake.

That would be no different than if they legalized pot. People who say its harmless are full of shit and just use that as excuse to get high.

I have a life long friend who only used to smoke weed, he then resorted to pills, he then resorted to Heroin and it was all by choice. This was a guy who swore he would never stick a needle in his arm. he enjoyed being high all the time.

Every single change he made was a choice not someone holding a guy to his head to do it. He would tell you the same thing
    Maybe if the government wasn't in bed with the pharmaceutical companies, we'd see more done about opioids.

Bullshit in regards to Marijuanna not harmful. Todays society has made it so main stream the way they sensationalize it on TV and social media. Half the kids today wear clothing brands with that stuff on it. It absolutely stunts the development of a teenagers brain. I don't want to hear that bullshit because that is exactly what it is. Conjecture from a daily pot smoker. They are mass marketing it to teenagers.

Yes Sanctions on Pharmaceutical companies. Think back just 15-20 years ago. When I walked into my local CVS or Rite Aid you would wait 15 min to get it filled. The shelves would have a few bags waiting to be picked up. Now, its hundreds of bags on the shelves, they have them stacked on the floors. My CVS used to be 3-4 employees. Now it is almost 20 people back there.

Absolutely ridiculous. That is just in the last 15 years or so.

These doctors are way over prescribing shit. I feel perfectly healthy, i go to a doctor and they will be prescribing me something. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone who sugar coats legalizing drugs spends entirely too much time getting high with them I guess.
    Even antibiotics are massively over prescribed, to the point we're now hearing about super bugs that antibiotics may not be able to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Maybe if the government wasn't in bed with the pharmaceutical companies, we'd see more done about opioids.

Here is the problem. There is no War On Drugs. How can we be at war with something our Gov is controlling?? Between funding Big Pharma and the endless “war “ in Afghanistan...the Gov is all over it.

Even antibiotics are massively over prescribed, to the point we're now hearing about super bugs that antibiotics may not be able to stop.

Yup. A lot of “forward thinking “ physicians are trying to prescribe more penicillin now because of the “super bugs “ we’ve created by over treating with the newer “high powered “ anti-biotics.

Blog Entries

This is definitely true.