Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Go With Smith!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    The OL didn't force him to make horrendous decisions.

Look, I get that the OL lacks consistency etc....

But what we saw tonight should convince everyone that this team is in DIRE need of a young, talented QB that can be groomed.

Period.

PP

What good is another QB without an offense to build around? I'm ALL for starting Troy Smith now. But the bottom line is that EVERY SNAP Troy had to break containment and run for his life, and that was against 3rd stringers.

With all due respect to Troy, you think if Bob Sanders was still in the game Smith would have done anything?

We are in DIRE need of a LOT of things right now. QB, CB, DE. And I still am not convinced in that order after watching Pittman and Martin play tonight.

But most importantly:
    NO QB is the answer for the Baltimore Ravens as long as Brian Billick has his hands on the offense. Bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    We are in DIRE need of a LOT of things right now. QB, CB, DE. And I still am not convinced in that order after watching Pittman and Martin play tonight.
    If you aren't convinced of that order after watching Kyle Boller play tonight, then you need to have your eyes checked.

We will have McAlister and probably Rolle back next year. I am willing to take the chance that they will stay healthy, and draft a CB in the second. We are quite likely going to pick in the top 5, we can not pass on the opportunity to draft Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm. I have said before and I will say it again, getting a franchise QB and getting the right one is the quickest way to turn around the franchise.

And you know what else, it doesn't really matter if McAlister and Rolle stay healthy or not. Next season is going to be a rebuilding year, unless we go out and get a veteran QB on the level of McNabb, there is no reason to believe the Ravens will compete next year. Next year will about getting young guys experience, letting Boller keep the seat warm for our top pick. 2009 and beyond is what we should be looking toward.

As for the topic of the thread, there is no reason not to start Smith. Boller shown everyone what he is, a mediocre backup at best. See what Smith can do.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

At this point...what is there to lose? He looked good in the game...he moved around well. He made plays on the run and while he moved around he looked downfield.

The "miss" to figurs....can't really call that a miss as if he puts it anywhere else it's a pick, figurs is 1 foot closer to the ball, that's a big TD.

The throw to Willis also impressed me....rather than keep running Smith looked downfield, saw a man open that could get the first down and hit him on the run.

Heck, if Smith plays well against Miami then see what happens with the 'Hawks and Steelers. If Smith works out, then you can grab a guy like Dixon in round 4-6 to be the #3, drop Mac9, Boller is the #2.

Smith works, then you can go after Cason, Campbell, Long, or Malcolm Jenkins in the first round. A guy like Mario Manningham might be just what the Dr. ordered in the second if smith is really "the man."

I hope the country can see what the kid can do. Madden might be crazy, but he knows players when he seems them. Hearing him talk about smith in that manner after hearing these "waste of a pick" rumblings from the Ravens organization....really makes me wonder if this team can evaluate QB talent AT ALL.

It is time to ride Troy Smith for the rest of the season. Lets see what he has, because what he shows us could potentially drastically alter our draft strategy (QB vs CB in the first).

Kyle is an ok back-up but he doesn't have a high enough football IQ to succeed consistently. Therefore we cannot win with him as a starter. McNair may be done depending on how he feels this offseason. We need to see if anyone on this team is viable long term at the most important position in football.

I made a prediction before the draft that Troy Smith would end up with a better pro career than Brady Quinn. I still stand by that.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6 View Post
    If you aren't convinced of that order after watching Kyle Boller play tonight, then you need to have your eyes checked.

We will have McAlister and probably Rolle back next year. I am willing to take the chance that they will stay healthy, and draft a CB in the second. We are quite likely going to pick in the top 5, we can not pass on the opportunity to draft Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm. I have said before and I will say it again, getting a franchise QB and getting the right one is the quickest way to turn around the franchise.

And you know what else, it doesn't really matter if McAlister and Rolle stay healthy or not. Next season is going to be a rebuilding year, unless we go out and get a veteran QB on the level of McNabb, there is no reason to believe the Ravens will compete next year. Next year will about getting young guys experience, letting Boller keep the seat warm for our top pick. 2009 and beyond is what we should be looking toward.

As for the topic of the thread, there is no reason not to start Smith. Boller shown everyone what he is, a mediocre backup at best. See what Smith can do.
    Well, that's all fine and dandy dude. Apparently you skipped over the part where I said I was all for putting Troy Smith in. But if you can't see that simply throwing another QB at the situation and crossing your fingers he doesn't get beat to shit, hurt, or put in situations where he can't play to win, then I think you also need to be sitting in the same seat getting your eyes checked.

Answer these questions for me:

1) Demetrius Williams, Mark Clayton, Devard Darling, Derrick Mason right now would be a #1 receiver on what other team right now that has a winning record?

2) Dan Wilcox is a #1 Tight End on what team currently in contention?

3) How many sweeps, draws, traps, or swing/screen passes have we thrown to our RB's this year? Both Boller and McNair combined?

4) How many times did Troy Smith against a backup defense had to scramble and run to make a play?

5) How many defensive coordinators do you think have stayed up extra nights to prepare for a Brian Billick offensive?

Let's get a dose of reality for just a second. Outside of the fact that the QB play sucks, and now we're probably going after our 11th QB in 10 years now, tell me exactly what on offense you DO see that says "respect me" to any other coach in the league? T'aint much.

Seriously, we've seen the answer isn't Boller, McNair, Grbac, Banks, Blake, Wright, Cunningham, etc. And it seems no one on the planet thinks Troy Smith is the answer either although these were his first snaps in the NFL tonight. You guys aren't really stirring any confidence in me that in the end Smith will be any better than any of the guys above if you don't think he's the long term solution before even seeing him play against a real NFL defense.

Not that I have any expectations for Troy Smith. He would be trying to run a Brian Billick I-Formation offense you know.

So tell me exactly what confidence you have that just plugging in a Matt Ryan or Colt Brennan into this system is going to give you the instant results that 11 other guys couldn't. I need to know, because I am at a complete loss right now.

Plugging a new qb will effectively give the new coordinator (that we can be almost assured will be forced upon Billick by Biscotti) a "fresh start". Even if the coordinator is Neuheisel (where Neuheisel actually has control of the offense, unlike this year), I think that Boller has been mentally screwed by the way Billick threw him into the fire too soon and so his career is pretty much destroyed. I think both Billick (I am NOT at all saying he should be offensive coordinator next year) and/or Neuheisel would defnitely handle the "new blood" differently than how Boller was handled because (at least Billick) would have the mistaken experience of throwing someone in too early as he did with Boller.

Let me repeat, I am in NO WAY saying I endorse Billick as offensive coordinator.

Yes it looks bad when your qb has to worry about the pressure of third stringers; but the real point is that Smith handled the pressure pretty well and manufactured plays behind the same atrocious line play that Boller couldn't muster anything out of.
    Smith seems like a player, Boller is more of a robot.

It's simple, we would hopefully be plugging in a QB who knows what the hell he is doing! I get so tired of the offensive line excuse. Every NFL QB has their protection break down. It's what they do when that happens that makes them a legit NFL QB. Kyle Boller simply has no clue of what to do when under pressure. Go back and watch what Manning did when he was under pressure. He stepped up in the pocket and made something happen. Boller has no pocket awareness. It's either drop back and throw, or tuck and run the second protection begins to break down. He just doesn't have what it takes. It's time to take a chance on another young QB who has the intangibles that Boller doesn't have.

Yes it looks bad when your qb has to worry about the pressure of third stringers; but the real point is that Smith handled the pressure pretty well and manufactured plays behind the same atrocious line play that Boller couldn't muster anything out of.
    Smith seems like a player, Boller is more of a robot.
    Exactly! It's what the QB does when under pressure. Some simply melt(Boller) while others move around and make something happen. One thing that I noticed tonight was the way that Smith was looking down the field when he was scrambling. I can count the number of times I have seen Boller do that on one hand. It's pretty sad when a rookie can handle that type of stuff but your 5th year QB can't.

I'm all for it at this point. We need to see what this guy has.

Here's the problem, Billick hasn't been able to design an offense to work with any QB in the last 9 years. He is just going to send Troy Smith out there with the same old plays.
    Let's not be so quick to rest the woes all on Billick. You know I like you stinger, but I am going to have to place this loss almost entirely on Boller and on the offense AND the decimated D. This game fell apart on so many levels it was almost comical. I started playing the Benny Hill music at one point.

Do not get this wrong, Billick is an ass who needs to find work somewhere else, but the whole team looked like shit. At least they sucessfully did THAT as a team effort.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Honestly, you might as well. We play Miami next week, there will not be a better opponent to cut his teeth on.
    True. Perfect team to get his start against. But he won't.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    It's simple, we would hopefully be plugging in a QB who knows what the hell he is doing! I get so tired of the offensive line excuse. Every NFL QB has their protection break down. It's what they do when that happens that makes them a legit NFL QB. Kyle Boller simply has no clue of what to do when under pressure. Go back and watch what Manning did when he was under pressure. He stepped up in the pocket and made something happen. Boller has no pocket awareness. It's either drop back and throw, or tuck and run the second protection begins to break down. He just doesn't have what it takes. It's time to take a chance on another young QB who has the intangibles that Boller doesn't have.
    Ok fine, but don't give me the Peyton Manning shit. How many times was he remotely hurried last night?? NONE! How many times was Peyton Manning sacked yesterday? NONE!

DON"T EVEN ATTEMPT to confuse Boller's shitty play yesterday with anything we tried and failed to do on defense to Peyton Manning. Please don't.

What happens when you hurry or pressure Peyton Manning? He throws 6 interceptions and gets rattled. That is a FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave
    Let's not be so quick to rest the woes all on Billick. You know I like you stinger, but I am going to have to place this loss almost entirely on Boller and on the offense AND the decimated D. This game fell apart on so many levels it was almost comical. I started playing the Benny Hill music at one point.

Do not get this wrong, Billick is an ass who needs to find work somewhere else, but the whole team looked like shit. At least they sucessfully did THAT as a team effort.
    And who got the team the least bit motivated to play the stellar game they did on both sides of the ball? Who kept calling the same bullshit up-the-middle runs last night as if we still have Jamal Lewis? Who waited until the game was almost over to replace Boller with Smith?

Don't give Billick a pass for last night either.

Ok fine, but don't give me the Peyton Manning shit. How many times was he remotely hurried last night?? NONE! How many times was Peyton Manning sacked yesterday? NONE!

DON"T EVEN ATTEMPT to confuse Boller's shitty play yesterday with anything we tried and failed to do on defense to Peyton Manning. Please don't.

What happens when you hurry or pressure Peyton Manning? He throws 6 interceptions and gets rattled. That is a FACT.

And who got the team the least bit motivated to play the stellar game they did on both sides of the ball? Who kept calling the same bullshit up-the-middle runs last night as if we still have Jamal Lewis? Who waited until the game was almost over to replace Boller with Smith?

Don't give Billick a pass for last night either.

Absolutely not sir. I would not give Billick a pass on this teams disgusting season. The Ravens team as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. INCLUDING Brian Billick.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!