Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Can John Brown play the slot?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Brown pulls a Perriman and gets hurt in the preseason he won't make the team. If it's a Woodhead and early in the season then you can just hope for the best.

It is interesting that Grant was the one who couldn't pass his physical given all the issues that Brown has had. I read a lengthy interview that he gave where he detailed the cyst on his spine and then the hamstring issues and then the sickle cell problems. I was a very long list. I'm also not in love with this move but hoping that if there are problems it's in camp so it can be addressed. Only $1 million of the 5 is guaranteed which means they do have an out if there are problems before week 1
    Given how the contract was structured (Low cap hits the first 2 years, with an "easy to swallow" out after 2 years) it adds to the case that the Ravens did see long term issues with Grant.

If they were concerned with anyone or having buyers remorse, based on what both players had done recently + cap hit, why would they have not pulled the "dirty move" on Brown? It saved more money (Almost double the cap hit) and it would have had less PR effects based on that loing list you're referring to.

The whole dirty move on Grant just doesn't make sense to me whe nyou consider the issues with Brown.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Given how the contract was structured (Low cap hits the first 2 years, with an "easy to swallow" out after 2 years) it adds to the case that the Ravens did see long term issues with Grant.

If they were concerned with anyone or having buyers remorse, based on what both players had done recently + cap hit, why would they have not pulled the "dirty move" on Brown? It saved more money (Almost double the cap hit) and it would have had less PR effects based on that loing list you're referring to.

The whole dirty move on Grant just doesn't make sense to me whe nyou consider the issues with Brown.
    I don't think so because Brown has $1 million guaranteed. Grant had $14.5 million guaranteed. It's not just the cap numbers. It's money you have to pay no matter what. A million dollar mistake is not the same as a $14.5 million mistake.

Brown signed a 1 year 5m dollar deal. That is the type of deal you do with a guy who is injury prone. It is 1 year low risk. I did not see the break out of the Grant deal but I believe it was 14m guaranteed which means they were probably on the hook for at least 2 years 16m. Way more risk on the Grant deal.

I don't think so because Brown has $1 million guaranteed. Grant had $14.5 million guaranteed. It's not just the cap numbers. It's money you have to pay no matter what. A million dollar mistake is not the same as a $14.5 million mistake.
    So the question is, would it be a mistake because there's a chance of a long term injury?

It just isn't as clear as people have made it sound.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

So the question is, would it be a mistake because there's a chance of a long term injury?

It just isn't as clear as people have made it sound.
    No one is ever going to know the real story. It's going to be something that fans and media speculate on forever. It's like the idea that the Colts threw games so they could lock up the #1 draft spot when Lock was coming out. Many are going to say that absolutely happened and others will say it didn't. We'll never know for sure because those who were is charge can't come out and say they did. I personally believe the Colts didn't 'suck for Luck' but I'm never going to convince those who believe it to change their views.

If Brown pulls a Perriman and gets hurt in the preseason he won't make the team. If it's a Woodhead and early in the season then you can just hope for the best.

It is interesting that Grant was the one who couldn't pass his physical given all the issues that Brown has had. I read a lengthy interview that he gave where he detailed the cyst on his spine and then the hamstring issues and then the sickle cell problems. I was a very long list. I'm also not in love with this move but hoping that if there are problems it's in camp so it can be addressed. Only $1 million of the 5 is guaranteed which means they do have an out if there are problems before week 1
    Not true. Brown got $4m guaranteed, all of which was a signing bonus. If they cut him now they're on the hook for all of that and only save $1m. That makes Brown essentially uncuttable.

The structure of the contract tells me the team clearly believes Brown is over his injury issues. The overall value is still low because it's a "prove it" deal, but the guaranteed money commitment is far too large for a guy they feel may miss significant time due to injury

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Tiki Barber call it "Bad Cells" Some people are just hurt all the time. Even if they play their always dinged up
    He has sickle cell trait. So yeah kind of fits.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    He has sickle cell trait. So yeah kind of fits.
    Not true, he said during the presser that Arizona couldn't diagnose what was wrong so they called it that. He said he is healthy and ready to go. You have to admire a guy who asked for a 1 year prove it or be gone contract. He said that at the presser also.

He knows his production was down last 2 years and he seems like a guy with something to prove. That can ultimately blow up in the Ravens face. He turns in a 1000 yard season, he prices himself out (that much is guaranteed playing here) and he goes elsewhere to finish his career.

Its most likely a 1 year deal anyway you look at it, he sucks, he wont be back. He lights it up, he wont be back because we wont be able to afford him unless he inks an extension mid season

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Not true. Brown got $4m guaranteed, all of which was a signing bonus. If they cut him now they're on the hook for all of that and only save $1m. That makes Brown essentially uncuttable.

The structure of the contract tells me the team clearly believes Brown is over his injury issues. The overall value is still low because it's a "prove it" deal, but the guaranteed money commitment is far too large for a guy they feel may miss significant time due to injury
    I read the deal when it was first announced. I bet they had it backwards. Now I see the details and you are right.

It's a weird deal. Is the purpose of giving so much in bonus just so the player can get 80% of his money up front and not wait for a weekly game check? It hits the cap the same since it's a 1 year deal. The team has little protection with such a large bonus amount. Why don't they just guarantee it like Moncrief got with the Jags? The accountant in me is very confused by this.

Blog Entries

I read the deal when it was first announced. I bet they had it backwards. Now I see the details and you are right.

It's a weird deal. Is the purpose of giving so much in bonus just so the player can get 80% of his money up front and not wait for a weekly game check? It hits the cap the same since it's a 1 year deal. The team has little protection with such a large bonus amount. Why don't they just guarantee it like Moncrief got with the Jags? The accountant in me is very confused by this.
    Why on earth would they guarantee so much money? Makes no sense especially to an injury prone guy. The 5 million with 1 mill guaranteed would make a lot more sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Why on earth would they guarantee so much money? Makes no sense especially to an injury prone guy. The 5 million with 1 mill guaranteed would make a lot more sense

All I can think of is it cost more to do a 1 year deal. You can usually save some AAV by giving term.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post

Maybe that was Brown's sticking point? He wanted more guaranteed money up front.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr