Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Billick Stays?

Re: Billick Stays?

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Ozzie picks the players and that's it! Most if not all of picks on offense are starters. He can't help it if the scheme/coaching doesn't work. I'll take what Ozzie has done in the past 12 years over what any other GM in the NFL has done in those 12 years.
    You'd take what Ozzie has done over the Pats (3 superbowls and counting), Colts (1 Superbowl, perrenial division champs and high seed playoff spot), and Steelers (1 Superbowl win, playoffs just about every year). Our Superbowl was a long time ago and it's been giving this team a pass for far too long. The pro-bowl is not the superbowl.

Come on T. McGahee is the only exciting part of this offense this year. Jamal wouldn't do a damn thing behind this O-line, and he'd be bitching and moaning to the media like he did all last year. He's a malcontent.

Agreed on Jamal vs Willis. If we get a new OC and new system, a new QB and legit #1 WR, then Willis will be even better. Man...that's a long list!!!

FM

Billick is staying.

All of you demanding runs on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 and whatever got a snootfull of them last night. Where did it get us?

Sometimes it's not as easy as replacing the head coach.

Sometimes your defensive system depends on effective play from the CBs and you don't get it. Sometimes you invest five years in a mediocre quarterback, never getting the 'Franchise' guy, and when he has to play is hot and cold just like he's always been. Sometimes your only effective DE goes down with a season ending injury, and your best receiver misses a bunch of games with an injury.

Laying this turd of an offense, and turd of a season, at the feet of Brian Billick is easy to understand after that embarrasment last night.. "The buck stops here" and so on. But it's not that simple.

One explanation for a consistently bad offense, or at least, consistently bad explosive-type offense, is poor coaching. Another explanation is that this team has not had a truly good quarterback since Vinny Testaverde.

I am completely in favor of having a true offensive coordinator. Not Rick Neuheisel, but a real NFL pro. But I am not in favor of canning a perfectly good head coach who has never had a good quarterback under center, and still put together some decent years with what he's had.

Where is Dungy without Manning? Belicheat without Brady? Some of you need to come back to earth I think.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

:grbac::grbac::grbac: You can't be serious.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Billick is staying.

All of you demanding runs on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 and whatever got a snootfull of them last night. Where did it get us?

Sometimes it's not as easy as replacing the head coach.

Sometimes your defensive system depends on effective play from the CBs and you don't get it. Sometimes you invest five years in a mediocre quarterback, never getting the 'Franchise' guy, and when he has to play is hot and cold just like he's always been. Sometimes your only effective DE goes down with a season ending injury, and your best receiver misses a bunch of games with an injury.

Laying this turd of an offense, and turd of a season, at the feet of Brian Billick is easy to understand after that embarrasment last night.. "The buck stops here" and so on. But it's not that simple.

One explanation for a consistently bad offense, or at least, consistently bad explosive-type offense, is poor coaching. Another explanation is that this team has not had a truly good quarterback since Vinny Testaverde.

I am completely in favor of having a true offensive coordinator. Not Rick Neuheisel, but a real NFL pro. But I am not in favor of canning a perfectly good head coach who has never had a good quarterback under center, and still put together some decent years with what he's had.

Where is Dungy without Manning? Belicheat without Brady? Some of you need to come back to earth I think.

:2c:
    Hang on a second. Don't forget your change for your two cents. You have a penny coming back to you.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I know Dave. I don't really expect people to agree with me. But in answer to BEZ, yes I'm serious.

Look. If the FO decides it's time to get rid of Billick, fine, I understand, this season has been that bad. But I for one - that's why it's *my* :2c: - think that decision should not be made lightly, and all those here & elsewhere who think it's a silver bullet are oversimplifying.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I know Dave. I don't really expect people to agree with me. But in answer to BEZ, yes I'm serious.

Look. If the FO decides it's time to get rid of Billick, fine, I understand, this season has been that bad. But I for one - that's why it's *my* :2c: - think that decision should not be made lightly, and all those here & elsewhere who think it's a silver bullet are oversimplifying.
    I was just pickin on ya festivus. I like reading everyone opinions.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I've always thought you're fair festivus, and what you're saying does make a lot of sense.

At some point though, I am going to be VERY entertained if Redman and the Falcons stomp the Saints tonight. The meltdown WILL be hilarious.

Also, who the heck replaces billick when/if he goes? That's the fun one right there. I have absolutely no idea.

We'll see what happens here I think everyone can agree this is going to be one of the most meaningful offseasons in a long time. Boy do the McNair and Ogden contracts really KILL the team now. :grbac: :grbac: :grbac:

Blog Entries

This team has had many problems this year and everyone wants to see Billick gone because its a bad season, without looking at the big picture. Think about what Heap brings to the offense. Think about what Pryce, CMac, and Rolle bring to the D. These guys take the pressure off the other pieces on the chess board. Heap and Pryce getting double-teams means other guys' have to work beyond their capabilities.......

Look at the big picture and context of this season.....we've had numerous injuries that have crippled us on both sides of the ball. Is BB the reason our season has tanked? Yes and no. He couldn't make a whole lot of adjustments with the players he's had because they're not as good as the team thought....
    Last edited by 4G63; 12-10-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I've always thought you're fair festivus, and what you're saying does make a lot of sense.

At some point though, I am going to be VERY entertained if Redman and the Falcons stomp the Saints tonight. The meltdown WILL be hilarious.

Also, who the heck replaces billick when/if he goes? That's the fun one right there. I have absolutely no idea.

We'll see what happens here I think everyone can agree this is going to be one of the most meaningful offseasons in a long time. Boy do the McNair and Ogden contracts really KILL the team now. :grbac: :grbac: :grbac:
    Thanks ER. I didn't expect a warm reception when the pitchforks are out, but I posted my thoughts anyway.

The 'what happens if we fire Billick' question actually doesn't bother me at all. They'd find somebody, somewhere. From outside the organization, I hope. Promoting from within if the whole point was to change the culture would seem to defeat the purpose. But it's not going to happen, and for all the complaints about Billick's contract, I don't think that has much if anything to do with it.
    Festivus

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I agree its very hard to judge Billick with all the injuries.

Its easy to judge Billick who did not come through the NFL coaching ranks.But started off as a PR guy for the 49ers.He was brought here on the grounds of his prolific offense at the Vikings.And what have we had,defense and ball control.It worked well back in the day,but you cannot keep playing the same tune over and over again.The rest of the NFL has passed the Ravens by.

This team has fallen behind personnel wise and coaching wise on offense.

The train has crashed it is a wreck. Billick is the train driver.Whatever he says
    is going to fall on deaf ears.There was a glimmer of hope vs the PATS, where I thought Billick could have held on.

With a season like this,Steve B has to look in every detail from top to bottom
    on what has gone wrong,why it has gone wrong.And where the buck stops.

Billick goes if he has lost the players and the fans.
    Billick goes if he will not relinquish control of the offense to a new offensive co-ordinator with their own playbook.And is told to keep his dirty paws off the playcalling during the game.

Billick should be a figurehead coach and let his co-ordinators do their jobs.

It is very hard to come back from a season like this.Without some house cleaning.The team needs a fresh approach and better discipline.Its wheels have been spinning in the mud for too long now.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.