Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Billick Stays?

Re: Billick Stays?

I'm not judging Billick based on this year alone. It's the years of ineptness on offense, the lack of developing a QB, the constant "we'll get better and move on" excuses, etc. He's too stubborn to make the necessary changes to point us in the right direction. His time is over...I thank him for the SB, but it's time to start fresh. That means all coaches go and whoever is the new HC let them decide who to keep and who to let go.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Sure, I understand that. If the FO wants to fire him for, since 1999, having had only three years with arguably effective offenses, and even then we are *not* talking about good offenses, just effective, I'd understand.

I don't think we've had a franchise quarterback here, and I am doubtful we've ever had a good OC, but that's hard to tell from the outside. Maybe Mike Nolan, but he doesn't really count now, does he.

Anyway we will see. This will be an important off season, as will the one following, as we build toward 09 in my humble opinion.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

We've never had a franchise QB here. That blame goes on Billick, Ozzie and the draft people. But we've had good QBs that come in and go to crap once they are here. I can't name a good OC we've had...but the problem is Billick will not either hire one or give play-calling over to one. That's the stubborn aspect of Billick I can no longer take. He refuses to make the necessary changes or give people chances to try something different.

Baloney...the big picture is that Billick has produced ONE playoff win since 2000....get a clue people. Let me say that again...1 post season win in the last 7 years. And you want to give this joker more time?

His lax discipline style doesn't work
    His offensive scheme doesn't work
    His play calling doesn't work

Do you really need another stretch of 4 years where we miss the playoffs 3 times to make a change? Or do you need them to have a year like Miami this year?

Good grief, isn't 9 years of a horrible offense enough?

FM

It's not like Billick has been here just a few years....it's been 9 FRIGGIN YEARS!!!

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    We've never had a franchise QB here. That blame goes on Billick, Ozzie and the draft people. But we've had good QBs that come in and go to crap once they are here. I can't name a good OC we've had...but the problem is Billick will not either hire one or give play-calling over to one. That's the stubborn aspect of Billick I can no longer take. He refuses to make the necessary changes or give people chances to try something different.
    Billck never called plays until the middle of last season. He always let the OC do it. After he took over midseason the offense looked better than it had in years, of course the o-line actually pass blocked very well last year.

People constantly bring up QB inconsistencies, and they have a point, but our o-line has been the most inconsistent part of this team. Sometimes they can run block but not pass block. Sometimes it's vice-versa. They can never do both. It's sort of difficult to game plan around such an inconsistent line, and it's even harder to be a decent QB behind that line. Many of us have been clamoring about the o-line for 10 years. Fix the o-line and you will fix the offense. A game breaking receiver wouldn't hurt either.

"Fix the o-line and you will fix the offense. A game breaking receiver wouldn't hurt either."

This is a joke right....you think it's this simple? It's WAY more than this.

The ONE constant here for the offensive ineptitude is Billick's system. Until the system goes, it doesn't matter what players we have. His "play not to lose" philosophy doesn't work...it's that simple.

When trailing 37-7 last night he is still pounding Willis up the middle. WTF? Billick calls games like a big pu--y and I am sick and tired of his crappy offense.

FM

The OL is young and takes time to mature. JO has lost his fire to play. To me saying the OL is more inconsistent then QB play is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    The ONE constant here for the offensive ineptitude is Billick's system. Until the system goes, it doesn't matter what players we have.
    This is partly true. Certainly Billick has been a constant, and expect this off season to see a real OC come in, and run his own offense. It's what other teams do, and it's what we should do, too. No college coach for me, please.

But there have been other consistencies. We have never had a franchise quarterback. We just haven't. And until the last two years, the FO has thrown relatively little money at that side of the ball.

Anyway, Fanman, you and me both are looking forward to what a new offense will bring next year. I anticipate BB will still be here, but will have (with a sigh of relief from BB, I would guess) turned the reins over to somebody else.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm not gonna bail on Billick just yet. In today's NFL teams can go from first to worst in a nanosecond. What I want to see is if Billick can help us rebound as strong as we have in previous years under his reign following a poor season (which nearly all have been due to multiple injuries to key players).

He's on thin ice with me, but I'll give him until next season to pull out the Zamboni...

I'm pretty much done with Billick. That said, he's not the only one that needs to be seriously evaluated. I know Ozzie and the scouting department are holy around here but to me, they are to blame for the almost total lack of depth we have. If a first stringer goes down anyplace on the field we have nobody to replace them that is decent. We have never had a decent quarterback. That stuff stems from Ozzie's department.
    What I blame Billick for is the lack of control and discipline that permeates this team. Do you honestly think all of the Pats like Belichick? Hell no, they play for him because he demands it and if they don't he gets rid of them in a second. Billick doesn't demand anything of this bunch of egos, he pampers and babies and kisses ass with them. Part of that I blame on Bisciotti and his public stripping of Billick. The message went out loud and clear to every player on the team, it's ours we are in control, Billick can't do anything to us and that's exactly how they conduct themselves. Do you ever hear of Billick fining a player? sitting a player down? anything??? No you don't.
    Billick really has to go, he can't reign the players in at this point. The only concern I have about dumping him is who do you get to replace him and will they be able to get control of the team. These guys have been running things so long they aren't going to be happy suddenly having to take orders.

One interesting point about the o-line; when Cavanaugh left and Billick didn't give the job to then o-line coach Jim Colletto, Colletto left.

That was after 2003.

Since then the o-line has been a train wreck except for last year.

The guy who replaced the line coach, Forrester, really seems to suck at coaching a VERY important position.

Forrester was a Billick "BUDDY"

So was Jim Fassel.

Both were/are ineffective coaching here.

I actually think Neuheisel might know his shit, which is why he distanced himself from Billick's offense early on when asked how he was going to run the offense now that he was the coordinator by saying "It's still Brian's offense."

Smart guy to know a wreck before it happens.

I just thought it was kind of interesting about the coaching effectiveness of Jim Colletto compared to the other memebers of Billick's "Crew" outside of Neuheisel.