Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billick Stays?

Re: Billick Stays?

I think the whole organization from the scouts down to the GM and the coaching staff should take some accountability for this lousy year. Everyone is going to have injuries to some extent, and that is why it is important to have depth on your team--next man up. Our organization has made good moves and a lot of bad choices in the drafts. Travis Taylor, David Pittman, Dwayne Edwards, etc., etc. The key is to have backups who are NFL calibar and can step in and perform at a moments notice.

I don't like the culture of the Ravens and short of turnover at the top, I don't know what else is the answer. I would like to think we have a good owner, but only time will tell for sure. We really don't know him, as he only comes out of the woodwork once a year. I think our organization lost a gem when Phil Savage went to Cleveland, and it only took 3 years for him to turn a losing culture into a winning one.

2. Re: Billick Stays?

I've stuck with Billick all along. I wanted to show some patience and wait until the end of the season.
    Well the season is over and the players have showed you that it is so.

It's time for some changes. Not just in the coaching staff but in the roster as well.
    Last night was another embarrassment in a season FULL of them.

That being said, I don't think Billick goes yet. The contract is in place and Bischotti won't just eat that money.I have some good word that Billick will be made to hire a new OC and let him call the plays and use whatever scheme they wish. If they don't improve he's done after 2008.

I have heard the same thing MW...and it pains me to believe it. Billick can't handle giving the offense to somebody else...esp if they turn it around.

His ego is out of control and if Biscotti gives him another year it will be a mistake.

FM

Wink Re: Billick Stays?

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    People want Ozzie gone too? That's stupid.
    Stupid?

Oz signed McNair to the $33 miilion travesty. Oz surrendered two 3rd round draft picks for McGahee (4.2 rushing average) while letting Jamal Lewis (4.2 rushing average) walk . Oz didn't tag Adalius Thomas.

How much has this team developed since Phil Savage left?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Stupid?

Oz signed McNair to the $33 miilion travesty. Oz surrendered two 3rd round draft picks for McGahee (4.2 rushing average) while letting Jamal Lewis (4.2 rushing average) walk . Oz didn't tag Adalius Thomas.

Good point, Ozzie also drafted Boller (joke of QB)...

Yeah, I like how you brought McGahee into this, while you completely ignore:

A.) Jamal wasn't effective in our system, running or catching the ball
    B.) Clevelands's OLINE is much better than our OLINE
    C.) The only threat we have is McGahee, and teams focus on stopping him.

Ozzie stays. He has brought in enough talent for this team to at least be competitive. No normal HC would allow this team to lose like it has.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Stupid?

McGahee was a huge upgrade over Jamal. Sorry but Jamal best years are behind him. His rushing average is 4.2 because his O line is ten times better than McGahees. McGahee is ranked 5th in rushing against Jamal who is ranked 11th. McGahee also has more yards per game and TD's than Jamal. Imagine what McGahee would be doing if the O line actually blocked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Ozzie picks the players and that's it! Most if not all of picks on offense are starters. He can't help it if the scheme/coaching doesn't work. I'll take what Ozzie has done in the past 12 years over what any other GM in the NFL has done in those 12 years.
    You'd take what Ozzie has done over the Pats (3 superbowls and counting), Colts (1 Superbowl, perrenial division champs and high seed playoff spot), and Steelers (1 Superbowl win, playoffs just about every year). Our Superbowl was a long time ago and it's been giving this team a pass for far too long. The pro-bowl is not the superbowl.

Come on T. McGahee is the only exciting part of this offense this year. Jamal wouldn't do a damn thing behind this O-line, and he'd be bitching and moaning to the media like he did all last year. He's a malcontent.

Agreed on Jamal vs Willis. If we get a new OC and new system, a new QB and legit #1 WR, then Willis will be even better. Man...that's a long list!!!

FM

Billick is staying.

All of you demanding runs on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 and whatever got a snootfull of them last night. Where did it get us?

Sometimes it's not as easy as replacing the head coach.

Sometimes your defensive system depends on effective play from the CBs and you don't get it. Sometimes you invest five years in a mediocre quarterback, never getting the 'Franchise' guy, and when he has to play is hot and cold just like he's always been. Sometimes your only effective DE goes down with a season ending injury, and your best receiver misses a bunch of games with an injury.

Laying this turd of an offense, and turd of a season, at the feet of Brian Billick is easy to understand after that embarrasment last night.. "The buck stops here" and so on. But it's not that simple.

One explanation for a consistently bad offense, or at least, consistently bad explosive-type offense, is poor coaching. Another explanation is that this team has not had a truly good quarterback since Vinny Testaverde.

I am completely in favor of having a true offensive coordinator. Not Rick Neuheisel, but a real NFL pro. But I am not in favor of canning a perfectly good head coach who has never had a good quarterback under center, and still put together some decent years with what he's had.

Where is Dungy without Manning? Belicheat without Brady? Some of you need to come back to earth I think.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

You can't be serious.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Billick is staying.

All of you demanding runs on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 and whatever got a snootfull of them last night. Where did it get us?

Sometimes it's not as easy as replacing the head coach.

Sometimes your defensive system depends on effective play from the CBs and you don't get it. Sometimes you invest five years in a mediocre quarterback, never getting the 'Franchise' guy, and when he has to play is hot and cold just like he's always been. Sometimes your only effective DE goes down with a season ending injury, and your best receiver misses a bunch of games with an injury.

Laying this turd of an offense, and turd of a season, at the feet of Brian Billick is easy to understand after that embarrasment last night.. "The buck stops here" and so on. But it's not that simple.

One explanation for a consistently bad offense, or at least, consistently bad explosive-type offense, is poor coaching. Another explanation is that this team has not had a truly good quarterback since Vinny Testaverde.

I am completely in favor of having a true offensive coordinator. Not Rick Neuheisel, but a real NFL pro. But I am not in favor of canning a perfectly good head coach who has never had a good quarterback under center, and still put together some decent years with what he's had.

Where is Dungy without Manning? Belicheat without Brady? Some of you need to come back to earth I think.

:2c:
    Hang on a second. Don't forget your change for your two cents. You have a penny coming back to you.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I know Dave. I don't really expect people to agree with me. But in answer to BEZ, yes I'm serious.

Look. If the FO decides it's time to get rid of Billick, fine, I understand, this season has been that bad. But I for one - that's why it's *my* :2c: - think that decision should not be made lightly, and all those here & elsewhere who think it's a silver bullet are oversimplifying.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I know Dave. I don't really expect people to agree with me. But in answer to BEZ, yes I'm serious.

Look. If the FO decides it's time to get rid of Billick, fine, I understand, this season has been that bad. But I for one - that's why it's *my* :2c: - think that decision should not be made lightly, and all those here & elsewhere who think it's a silver bullet are oversimplifying.
    I was just pickin on ya festivus. I like reading everyone opinions.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I've always thought you're fair festivus, and what you're saying does make a lot of sense.

At some point though, I am going to be VERY entertained if Redman and the Falcons stomp the Saints tonight. The meltdown WILL be hilarious.

Also, who the heck replaces billick when/if he goes? That's the fun one right there. I have absolutely no idea.

We'll see what happens here I think everyone can agree this is going to be one of the most meaningful offseasons in a long time. Boy do the McNair and Ogden contracts really KILL the team now.